PDA

View Full Version : New member and new Swift owner (soon)

djtilko
02-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Just like to say Ive joined the forum!! been watching you all for a while and like the setup here.

Just ordered a swift, from Midland helis, got the deal with esc lipo and motor, hope its all good, ive been debating over a larger elec heli for a while logo 10 seemed too expensive on maintenance, so the swift spares prices swung it for me.

Ive already got the 3dpro, trex xl, ark 400 and a diddy little cp2, the ark will be going up for sale to fund this new heli.

Any hints on setup/what to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks
djt

DebianDog
02-28-2006, 07:07 AM
I do not know anyone with one yet. I will be interested to see how you like it.

djtilko
02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Hoping it will be here tommorow, Ill let you know how it gets on with me :D

Just need to sell a couple of helis to get some cash back, before wife sees the bill :(

djt

mplourde
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
djtilko, what do you think about your 3D PRO vs of your T-REX? Is it the same performance ratio ? Whitch do you prefer?

Thanks.

djtilko
02-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Hmm 3dpro vs trex?

Would say I prefer trex but not by much margin, weak link on 3dpro is the crown gear lost two teeth of mine but still runs ok I have three spare ones ready for when it jacks totally! but the thing I think that sheers them is not so much the tail rotors catching the ground but simply the main blades catching the ground mine have broken on both occasions by tipping over on the ground! the other thing is the way Century have priced the spares for them like if you need to replace the plastic anti rot bracket its bundled with the alloy head block :roll: come on Century be fair on the spares :(

Trex I prefer because it will handle wind slightly better than the pro! I can see it better cause its bigger, and spares are superbly cheap like getting four fethering shafts in the pack etc.

Performance wise I would say the pro is just as good as the trex if you can do it so can the pro!! cheaper on lipos too only needs the 1320 tp pack to fly for 10-15 mins.

The 3dpro would be better indoors than the trex and is more responsive with a faster head speed, and I love flying it when the wind drops of, like to have the first flight of the day with the 3dpro, then go on with the next flights using the trex, after flying the 3dpro the rex seems like a trainer!! everything happens much slower with the trex. Others may disagree here just my opinion

Also have an Esky cp2 and the 3dpro is in another league to that, for build quality stability etc. So far I am very happy with the 3dpro, not broken anything except sheared the 2 teeth of the crown pin, but still works ok even missing the teeth, (they are opposite each other though)

Love em both really
:wink:

Cant wait for the Swift to arrive.

djt

Coolice
02-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Hey,

Congratulations on your newly purchased Swift, it's a model your going to enjoy flying over & over.
I to am still quite new to larger electric models and the Swift has been a total non-event with no drama's what so ever.

Points to look out for :

1. Dis-assemble all the major components, main rotor head & tail rotor assembly. Also remove & secure all M3 screws & nuts with a small amount of loctite to be safe.

2. Check every screw on the model, most on mine just needed nipping up.

3. I found my swashplate centre ball to be a little stiff, most seem ok but there is the odd tight one around. If yours is free it off by working the ball around as much as you can with a little lubrication. I cheated and used an old mainshaft wedged in the centre hole and fitted to a battery drill to spin the ball.

4. With a scouring pad gently smooth the main shaft area where the mixer base unit slides up & down along. This removes the high peaks in the black coating making it slide smoother.
Also, when refitting it try the mixer base on the guide pins if it feels tight rotate it 180 degree's & try again. I found there is one way that operates smoother than the other.

A lot of the above will bed in on it's own given time & flying hours, but I like to make my models smooth on the bench with no binding, tightness and then they fly well & feel good straight away on the first flight.

mplourde
02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
djtilko

Thank you very much for your comment about 3D PRO vs T-REX... :wink:

djtilko
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Coolice

Cheers mate will go through the points you have mentioned! Got the deal with the esc motor and lipo, will need more lipos what do you recommend? more of the same ? will it fly using nmh cells as per the Logo 10 ? has anyone used these new fangled bats from power tools?

Thanks for the help
Roll on tommorow, (if it comes)

djt

gofastsam
02-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Have two swifts and love them. Running Neu 1907 1.5 ,Kontronics Jazz
55-10-32 controller,rotor tech 515 carbon blades,tp 6s2p 4200 ,11th pinion on first swift giving head speed of 2050 and the kontronics has super smooth startup and flawless governor mode, Second swift has Neu 1907 1.5,castle creations 80 ,10 tooth pinion,razor 530 blades , tp 6s2p 4200 pack giving 1850 rotor speed but with castle marginal startup and have to set " V " curve as govenor mode hunts and results in tail wagging , both are setup the same with 401 gyro , 9254 servo's . The second swift with 530 blades and lower rotor speed is more stable in hover but both are exellent choices with great power and super value. Might check runryder under swift forum for building tips and potential problems and cures.

Coolice
03-01-2006, 05:05 AM
Hey djtilko,

Your very welcome mate, glad to pass on what I found on my model.

The stock deal is an excellent package, giving good power and reliability for not a lot of cash.
LiPo wise I'd carry on with the same, I have two FlightPower 4s1p 3700's and they are going great with constant power and providing 7~9 minutes of good flying time with the first 5 spent flying hard 3D.
I have considered gloing up in LiPo voltage and may do intime, but for now and the cost of the 3700's it makes a good compromise in performance and cost.
I'd say stick with the same and be happy, grab yourself the matching Duralite balancer to keep the batterys in tip-top condition and have many hours of trouble free flight time on them.

The Swift should fly well to on the NiMh packs and I see the US guys selling some suitable for the Swift on their site, obviously performance will suffer with the extra weight but they would be good as another pack for those summer evenings.

As for the power tool batterys, I'm keeping my eye on what people are saying and doing with them as it's interesting to know about.

djtilko
03-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Well it didnt turn up today so have to wait some more :(

djt

RAV50
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
There are a number of them flying locally and all owners give very positive reviews. So I am looking forward to getting mine airborne soon.

The first ones had a slight resonant vibe with some rotor blades as they spool up and down. This seemed to be related to the long landing gear being rather flexible. (Similar to the vibes one could get when using some training gear on some 30's). Once the rotor blades find their natural lead/lag configuration, and the rotor speed gets past this brief resonant mode, all seemed fine

The current ones have beefed up units that do not heve this resonance.

You can find many Swift flyers in some other forums such as the Century electric forum on RR and the electric heli forum on RC Groups.

djtilko
03-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Well it arrived today, and hey its a fair bit bigger than I expected!! I have put it all together apart from electrics motor servos etc, will go through it all again with locktite now, and make sure its all lubed in the right places, although this appears to have been done by Century.

As for tight swashplate mine seems ok really and so also is the tail slider but Ive sat watching the telly wagling em about anyway! Very nice to put together this heli is the easiest Ive done so far although in fairness it came arf so only big lumps to connect together. Very happy with it all so far quality is above average, quite impressive.

The only thing I found so far is in the instructions it says to connect the boom stays using cap head bolts and there arent any cap heads in the kit for this, so used the self tappers in the bag with the stays, they dont quite tighten up enough for my liking so will replace them before I fly, also the boom clamp doesnt seem up to it and although it says in instructions to use some pvc tape, this seems a bit Heath Robinson, so look forward to a nice bit of bling to go here :) Other than that nice one Century dont know how you do it for the price!!

Will update later

djt