PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion duo - Charge 3s lipo without main leads

sgrim80
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
How do I charge a 3s pack on my Hyperion duo without using the main charge leads? Its a 3s 2500mah lipo for a tx. I set the charger for 3s and 2500 mah but I keep getting an error when I try to charge with only the balance taps connected. My cellpro 10s used to do this just fine.

Steve

nargargle
11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
You have to use the main charge leads. The balance tap only bleeds off excess voltage from each cell as needed to keep the pack in balance. It will not charge through the balance taps.

sgrim80
11-12-2008, 08:38 PM
sh*t!

TheBum
11-12-2008, 10:41 PM
A charger like the Hyperion DUO is designed to charge large packs. The balance taps are not designed to take the current required to charge at more than about 2A and it doesn't make sense to support two different charge modes.

sgrim80
11-13-2008, 06:39 AM
What I need to charge is a tx lipo. I guess I'll have to rig up some sort of adapter for the main pack leads. It has a JR/Spektrum tx connector on it. Wonder where I can get the tx side of that?

TheBum
11-13-2008, 07:04 AM
I understand where you're coming from now. That's one thing I like about the Kong Power TX pack in my DX7: it has two power leads, one for JR/Spektrum and one for Futaba. The Futaba connector is just a standard servo-type connector and my "squid" charging lead has a connector that works for it, so I can charge it without disconnecting it from the TX.

jkelling
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a hyperion (not duo), and I understand your pain. I have so many different change leads (deans, traxxas, ec3) - I really am looking for a charger that can charge through the balance taps only. Or even better - give me the choice of hooking up the high current discharge leads for faster charge rates, or using just the balance taps for slower charge rates and smaller batteries....

TheBum
11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I have a hyperion (not duo), and I understand your pain. I have so many different change leads (deans, traxxas, ec3) - I really am looking for a charger that can charge through the balance taps only.
Are you willing to live with a charger than can charge at a maximum of 2A (< 1C for typical 450 packs)? DN Power makes such a charger. I'll sell you mine.

Or even better - give me the choice of hooking up the high current discharge leads for faster charge rates, or using just the balance taps for slower charge rates and smaller batteries....
Those are completely different charging implementations, essentially requiring two chargers in one unit and a means to switch between them. Even if somebody did do that, I would expect it to drive up the cost by 50% over a single implementation.

sgrim80
11-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I have a hyperion (not duo), and I understand your pain. I have so many different change leads (deans, traxxas, ec3) - I really am looking for a charger that can charge through the balance taps only. Or even better - give me the choice of hooking up the high current discharge leads for faster charge rates, or using just the balance taps for slower charge rates and smaller batteries....

Cellpro 10s...just sold one to buy hyperion duo.

RC Accessory
11-14-2008, 04:57 AM
What I need to charge is a tx lipo. I guess I'll have to rig up some sort of adapter for the main pack leads. It has a JR/Spektrum tx connector on it. Wonder where I can get the tx side of that?

Here you go: http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=350