PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion about this governor behavior...

matador_24
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Hello guys,

I have been flying my titan a couple of times, still starting to feel confortable with it.
I have a hyper 50, hatori, carbon and 15%, also a gov-1 with a .19secs servo. I set my HS to 2000RPM, I have the complet metal head, it flies like a dream, but look at the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5el3geBHPu4

I feel that the HS goes up too much when I go inverted and come back and I can hear that it takes "long" for the gov to reduce the HS while inverted, I do not know if it is my idea or if this is normal, I just do not want to overspeed the head and that it exploides on the air, as you can see, while coming back from a loop, I have to apply positive or negative in order to reduce faster the HS because I hear that it overspeeds, the gov is working for sure but I just expected that it would hold the HS faster......

Thanks in advance for your inputs

RotaryBliss
11-25-2008, 11:12 PM
are you using the stock clunk line provided?
it could be leaning out as the clunk line flops over and gets pinched.. replace with quality tubing and give it a go..

GunnyGlow
11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
yup....sounds like a fuel delivery issue. It's ALWAYS the clunk line....:arggg:

I use Hayes fuel line. seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

matador_24
11-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I bought it used and it does not have the original clunk line, I see that it was replaced by normal fuel tubing, is it good or bad????? I find that the "clunk lines" on sale are slimmer and breaks off easily, I have used normal fuel tubing for my raptor 30 and flying inverted without problems....

RotaryBliss
11-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes regular tubing for glow engines is fine, just make sure its slim enough to do what it was intended(reach to all areas of the tanks without being too stiff). it would not hurt to replace it and see if it cures your dilemma.. All fuel line eventually deteriorates, especially in the fuel tank where it is subjected to standing in exhaust gases left over from flight when it’s not being used.

matador_24
11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
ok ok ok ok, got it, I'll replace it, just to make sure, then it means that the behaviour of my titan is not normal right???? I mean, the HS should be constant and not accelerate as in the video????

Something else, I stop flying when I have about 1/4 tank, when I stop flying, I see the header tank and it is not full, it is always at the same level than the main tank (both tanks at the same level of fuel), is that normal?? I thought the header tank should be full all time....

BarracudaHockey
11-26-2008, 11:43 AM
You've got a clunk line problem.

Also remember that the governor doesn't control head speed, it controls engine speed, if the head over speeds its on the auto rotation bearing until it slows back down which can take a little time due to inertia, even if the governor pulls back the throttle.

matador_24
11-26-2008, 12:36 PM
ahhh, thanks...

and what about the header tank? is that normal how it finishes at the same level than the main tank? or it should be full all time????

BarracudaHockey
11-26-2008, 01:21 PM
That is your clunk line problem.

GunnyGlow
11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
ya mang...even when it's not the clunk line. It's still the clunk line!! :)

I messed with my raptor one day for about 30 minutes. Luckily someone suggested I check the clunk line.(which I just replaced). Turns out the line had simply fallen off the nipple and that was the cause of all my woes.

matador_24
11-26-2008, 01:52 PM
ok, thanks, therefore it means that the header tank should be full at ALL times?

I'll replace the clunk line, I just have normal fuel tubing, somebody wrote above that it is ok to use it. I have never bought the "clunk line tubing" because I find to too small and weak.

BarracudaHockey
11-26-2008, 01:59 PM
If your header is getting air in it before the main tank is empty its sucking air.

Most likely cause of that is the clunk line is bad. Regular fuel tubing can work, and if its good you're getting air around the the gasket where the fuel line passes through the tank or the fuel tank is leaking air.

Either way it should stay full till the main is nearly empty.

matador_24
11-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks a lot Mr Barracuda,

I'll check it out....

matador_24
11-27-2008, 08:33 PM
UPDATE:

I checked the tubings and they seemed ok, however, I did replace all the tubing, even the clunk line (with normal fuel tubing) and well, I'll try it out this weekend.

I have one question, how does the clunk line work? I mean, I put the heli inverted with my hands and I see that the clunk line stays almost without moving, I do not know if it is because the tubing is too tiff... what should the clunk line do when I put the heli inverted???? the clunk should go to the top of the tank (bottom when inverted)?????

is that why the clunk line tubing should be tinier than normal fuel tubing in order to stay at the bottom of the tank no matter what the position of the heli is???? Could it be the reason why I was getting air in the header tank and the heli was going lean while inverted??

Thanks...

GunnyGlow
11-27-2008, 09:09 PM
UPDATE:

I checked the tubings and they seemed ok, however, I did replace all the tubing, even the clunk line (with normal fuel tubing) and well, I'll try it out this weekend.

I have one question, how does the clunk line work? I mean, I put the heli inverted with my hands and I see that the clunk line stays almost without moving, I do not know if it is because the tubing is too tiff... what should the clunk line do when I put the heli inverted???? the clunk should go to the top of the tank (bottom when inverted)?????

is that why the clunk line tubing should be tinier than normal fuel tubing in order to stay at the bottom of the tank no matter what the position of the heli is???? Could it be the reason why I was getting air in the header tank and the heli was going lean while inverted??

Thanks...

Ya...you need to make sure the clunk falls to the bottom of the tank. Wether that be inverted or upright.

It could be to stiff....but I would bet that it is just a weeee bit to long. I, seriously, spent about 30 minutes trying to get mine right.

Also note that some fuel tubing will expand when soaked in the fuel. So it's best to get it all setup...fill the tank...drain the tank....and THEN make sure the clunk can move freely from top to bottom.

This is true for both the main AND header tank.

matador_24
11-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Ahhhhh, then it is my fuel tubing that it is too tiff, I tried out of the tank and it does not flex that easy.
I do not have the tinier fuel tubing, I guess I'll fly it like that a couple of weekends more and then that is it for this season, it will be sleeping until march (winter starting in montreal).

By the time that I order the fuel tubing and I get it, it will be christmas. But well, I learned something new, I did not know how the clunk line worked.....

Thanks a lot everyone for your inputs!

GunnyGlow
11-28-2008, 03:08 PM
might try soaking it in fuel.....it might soften up.

Hayes line is a good one to get. Thats what I use for the clunk lines....