PDA

View Full Version : Spektrum DX7 - No Power - FIXED!!!!

Flightlutions
01-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Just figured that I'd share this with you guys just in case someone else has this problem.

I left my spectrum DX7 charging overnight and while I was doing my pre-flight check before I left the house the DX7 didn't power on.

I tested the battery with a Volt meter and it was fully charged. I then called Horrion Hobby and all they said was I have to send in the DX7 for service. :arggg:

So I opened up the back cover and noticed that there is a fuse just above the Power switch. I removed the fuse and sure enough the fuse was blown.

Went to my local hardware store and picked up some extra fuses. The DX7 started buzzing just like she always does! :banana:

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Bob O
01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Very nice to know.......Thanks!

aharmsworth
01-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I too had the same problem, in the UK you can get the fuses form Maplin's cost 1.89 for 10. The original fuse was 3 amps the nearest I could get was 3.15 Amp Quick blow fuses size 20mm.

SavageKen
07-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Just had the same thing happen, first time a search has worked for me!!! cool I will change the fuse I noticed the fuse was blown. I was unsure to fix it or send it in thanks for finding this thread!!

Ken.

neilg.
07-17-2009, 10:40 PM
why didn't you tell us sooner :bomb:.

i sent my dx7 in because screen was dead :rolling

now i got to wait 6 weeks for a freakin fuse :YeaBaby:

sadsy
08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
id bloody kiss you!! i was just pulling my hair out with my new dx7 after setting my 600 up, went to charge it and no power or anything, was JUST about to pack it up to be raped of my money to fix it, but guess what, it sure is the bloody fuse ha ha:hug:

distractor
08-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm certainly no radio expert but, when a fuse blows, it has blown for a reason.
I'd try and find out what happened so it doesn't happen again while your in the field.

sadsy
08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Yep i agree, i will get a fuse first and see if its all ok, i cannot remember if i turned the tx off before i plugged it in the charger now, could that blow it

distractor
08-05-2009, 04:02 AM
I doubt it. The radio would be protected from something as simple as that.
Are blown fuses a common problem with Spektrum radios or the DX7 in particular?

sadsy
08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
I dont know if its a common prob, i spoke to my heli dealer and he asked if id plugged the wrong charger in with a differant polarity, i had plugged a differant charger in but it wasnt switched on at the mains, ive put a new fuse in now and been flying the heli today so alls good for now,:thumbup:

Twrecks600
08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I had blown a fuse in my DX7 when I plugged in a buddy cord. I have plugged in the same cord a hundred times and never had an issue but one day when I plugged it in, it just quit working. I have a pretty extensive electronics background so my first thought was a fuse and sure enough, it was!! 5 minute repair but I agree with a previous post. Why did it blow in the first place. It hasn't happened since then so I must have plugged the cord in wrong!!

distractor
08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
This seems to be a common problem with the DX7 on various forums.
Spektrum need to address this problem quick. For the price of the radio,
you would expect better protection circuitry like an internal PTC fuse.
Agreeably, you would expect the fuse to blow if you plugged in the wrong charger
but not something like a buddy box lead.

robl
08-28-2009, 11:39 PM
only time i've blown the fuse is plugging in the wrong charge cord that had the polarity reversed.

lanex29
01-24-2010, 08:27 PM
:noteworthy Another happy camper, plugged in my DX6 eflite cord into my DX7 and it went dead, luckiliy I remembered seeing something one this forum and "yes" it was the fuse. Saved me from freaking out.
Thanks, best ever info.

Silverexpress01
02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Holy Cow! Plugged in the e-flite wall wart without talking a good glance, and blew that little fuse. I just about puked my heart out, when the thing went dead.

I've got a question, would it hurt if I unsolder the two wires going to the male charge plug on the TX, and swapping their positions? That way I can put away the darn one-off Spektrum wall wart and use my Futaba charger and pretty much everything else!

N017RW
02-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Yes.

Assuming all other aspects of these [other] chargers are similar (voltage, current, and connector.)

Matching connector polarity to a different charger is fine.

Now you have to put the spektrum charger away!

life2short1971
02-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Just be sure no one plugs a spektrum charger into it again. Like if you sell it or something.

Silverexpress01
02-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys. As a followup, I did the following...

1. Spektrum DX7 - I swapped the charger port wires - Brown and Red. The battery is a 9.6 volt Nimh
2. Spektrum TX/RX Charger SPM922 - I also swapped the wires on this. The TX output is
DC 11.6v 110mA

I did the charger also because currently I use three transmitters
1. Spektrum DX7
2. Walkera 2801 Pro
3. Futaba Car TX

both the Walkera and the Futaba have been using a charger that outputs 9.6v Dc, and 70ma. So now I only need to bring one charger to charge them all, and the DX-7 now has a decreased chance of blowing a fuse. Of all the wall warts I carry, the Spektrum outputs the most DC voltage at 11.6 volts, and amperage at 110ma.

Note: I had plugged in the E-flite wall wart twice into the DX-7. The first time it did go dead, but came back on after a few minutes. I speculate that the fuse blew, and was still making momentary contact. I had no knowledge of the fuse at that time. It was only the second time it happened, and I did the research on the net - I found this thread and a thread on RCUniverse.com. This meant that I was flying around using a transmitter with a momentary power on condition! Until of course the second time I plugged in the e-flite wall wart and completly burnt out the fuse.

By the way, what happens when you loose power to your TX while your flying a helicopter?

helijack
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys. As a followup, I did the following...

1. Spektrum DX7 - I swapped the charger port wires - Brown and Red. The battery is a 9.6 volt Nimh
2. Spektrum TX/RX Charger SPM922 - I also swapped the wires on this. The TX output is
DC 11.6v 110mA

I did the charger also because currently I use three transmitters
1. Spektrum DX7
2. Walkera 2801 Pro
3. Futaba Car TX

both the Walkera and the Futaba have been using a charger that outputs 9.6v Dc, and 70ma. So now I only need to bring one charger to charge them all, and the DX-7 now has a decreased chance of blowing a fuse. Of all the wall warts I carry, the Spektrum outputs the most DC voltage at 11.6 volts, and amperage at 110ma.

Note: I had plugged in the E-flite wall wart twice into the DX-7. The first time it did go dead, but came back on after a few minutes. I speculate that the fuse blew, and was still making momentary contact. I had no knowledge of the fuse at that time. It was only the second time it happened, and I did the research on the net - I found this thread and a thread on RCUniverse.com. This meant that I was flying around using a transmitter with a momentary power on condition! Until of course the second time I plugged in the e-flite wall wart and completly burnt out the fuse.

By the way, what happens when you loose power to your TX while your flying a helicopter?

Could you, if at all possible, show pictures of how you swapped the wires, where they are, etc etc etc? It would make it so much easier to do if we could see what needs to be done. Also, pictures of the charger swap, too. :) Thanks.

Silverexpress01
02-22-2010, 10:30 PM
my prior info presented was deemed inaccurate - I removed it, and am redoing it. Will repost in a day or so.