PDA

View Full Version : Cypher 3D - Love this Heli!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

warbirdnut
09-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Well she's about 80% complete... If all goes well and all the electronics still work I should be flying in a day or so..

I did have a problem when trying to tighten the grub screw that holds the tail drive gear to the main shaft.. I was trying to get it tight and I think the inside of the screw stripped.. I am not 100% sure it is tight enough but it seems to hold fine when the shaft turns clockwise, as it will in flight, but slips when turning in reverse.. Is that normal? I never noticed that before..

I need to get hex bits as my Alan keys are too flimsy to get a good tight turn on those small grub screws..

Can't wait to fly her again....

BTW: Anyone heard when and if any of those cool upgrade parts are going to be available? Most of the other heli companies seem to get their upgrades out there pretty quick.. I hope some are going to materialize for Cypher...

Jim

blvdbuzzard
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Jim I am on the stock belt. It has not given me any trouble. I lube it every now and then with silicon spray.

Jim I have this set of allen wrenches.
http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/263sermm.htm

As for gyros. You can not beat the Logitec 2100T with G3100 servo. It goes for $110.00. There is a copy of sort of the Futaba GY410 on Deal extreme .com that sells for less then $25.00 delivered. It is the G401B Gyrd. I have one. It hold like velcro, yet it has always drifted. It does need a fast servo. They are syaing the Hyperion DS-09 is the one to use. So you get a $25.00 gyro and a $35.00 servo. So it is not bad for a $60.00 combo.

I have (2) of the Eflite gyro that are copies of the Tele bee. They drift as well. I also have a GY240 and GY401. Both are great and worth the money.

I have not heard anything about when the upgrade are due out.

Dru.

n0rman
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Sorry for your lose, just hate it when that happens :arggg:. I've read a few times of the woods committing suicide like that, that's why I switched to carbons.
This might be a long shot, but with your 90day warranty you can try to get it replaced since it wasn't your fault.

:FThat

well it helps that i work there. and i had 3 employee watching me and so it just fall apart in the air. im going to talk to my boss and see whats up.

maddog57
09-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Jim... It's not normal for the tail drive gear to slip on the main shaft in either direction. Sounds like you've stripped the threads in the gear hub itself. If that's the case, you can replace the whole gear assy. or possiblly drill and tap the hole to 3mm and get a 3mm set screw. I have 2 tail belt gears that have the same problem. If you mean the socket [that the allen wrench goes in] is stripped, then if you can get it out of the hub, you can replace it with a new set screw [2mm]. One thing I've found is we need to be VERY careful to be sure the set screw is straight when inserting it into the hole and starting the threads. Remember... the screw is steel, the gear hub is aluminum. The aluminum will strip out first.

These are the allens I use, the best IMO...

http://www.helidirect.com/hexagon-screw-driver-4pcs-hz024-p-529.hdx

Gyros... Dru is 100% right about the Logictec 2100 & 3100 combo. I love mine. I have a GY401 also, think it may have caused my last crash, but it's top notch also. Have no experience outside of those two, so can't tell you about any others. I think the Gyro/servo is probably the most important component, so I say get the best you can afford.

Chris :thumbup:

Vechlor
09-18-2009, 07:19 PM
So I am seeing that the belt looks a bit fuzzy in the teeth... I didn't order a new belt and I wonder if I should have....

If the teeth look rounded on the edges or there's signs of belt splintering, I would just replace it instead of taking a risk of the belt snapping off. I'm not sure of the mileage these belts get, but I'm still using mine and it's been almost 9 months and still looks good.

Well she's about 80% complete... If all goes well and all the electronics still work I should be flying in a day or so..

I need to get hex bits as my Alan keys are too flimsy to get a good tight turn on those small grub screws..

BTW: Anyone heard when and if any of those cool upgrade parts are going to be available?

The 2100t gyro has a calibration function in case it starts acting strange after a crash or whatnot. I don't know anything about the heli-max gyro, thought I should mention this anyway in case it does.

I bought this tool set from xheli -link (http://www.xheli.com/nowwi2newfrt.html) a few months ago. I paid $40, it's now $27! :thumbup: The only complaints I have is the ball link sizing tool it too big for our tiny links, I got a white pitch gauge instead of black(bought a black one from helidirect), the ball link pliers forks could scratch the metal balls, probably true for most. I used 2mm dia. heat shrink tubing on the ends of the fork.

I haven't herd any news of these upgrades yet. If I have, you guys would be the first to know............ *Wispers to n0rman, I can keep a secret if you can tell me when the upgrades will be in stock.* :noteworthy

maddog57
09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
+1 on the "secret", nOrman !!

blvdbuzzard
09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I work with a guy who is the assistant manager at a Hobby People. I have him check every week and he says he has not heard. I only want the aluminum blade grips. And all of the rest too.

Jim, I have this set also
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37862

It has served me well for many years

Dru.

warbirdnut
09-18-2009, 10:25 PM
If you mean the socket [that the allen wrench goes in] is stripped, then if you can get it out of the hub, you can replace it with a new set screw [2mm].

I think this is the case.... Hope I can get it out..

Update: I can't get it out.... It IS stripped... HELP!

PS I may leave it for now .. It isn't slipping it's the one way bearing that had me confused when the main drive gear was turning without the shaft turning... Question is when it comes time to remove it how to do it? Maybe a disposable key and use some CA?

Doh,

Jim

warbirdnut
09-19-2009, 06:06 AM
If the teeth look rounded on the edges or there's signs of belt splintering, I would just replace it instead of taking a risk of the belt snapping off. I'm not sure of the mileage these belts get, but I'm still using mine and it's been almost 9 months and still looks good.

The 2100t gyro has a calibration function in case it starts acting strange after a crash or whatnot. I don't know anything about the heli-max gyro, thought I should mention this anyway in case it does.

I bought this tool set from xheli -link (http://www.xheli.com/nowwi2newfrt.html) a few months ago. I paid $40, it's now $27! :thumbup: The only complaints I have is the ball link sizing tool it too big for our tiny links, I got a white pitch gauge instead of black(bought a black one from helidirect), the ball link pliers forks could scratch the metal balls, probably true for most. I used 2mm dia. heat shrink tubing on the ends of the fork.

I haven't herd any news of these upgrades yet. If I have, you guys would be the first to know............ *Wispers to n0rman, I can keep a secret if you can tell me when the upgrades will be in stock.* :noteworthy

Roger that..

I'm playing with fire right now if this gyro still "works"... I have a little swivel test stand I made that will let me test the gyro with power on.. I am looking at getting this gyro..
http://www.telebee.com.hk/newsandproducts.html

But I don't have the cash for it right now...

I am starting to wonder if HP are going to come out with those parts at all.. They may have changed their product strategy.... Time will tell....

Meanwhile anyone seen the Mini Titan? And they have all the upgrades available plus an available Cobra conversion...

http://www.rcsmart.com.my/webshaper/pcm/pictures/Ep%20Helicopter/Mini%20Titan/MiniTitankit.jpg

http://www.kooltoyz.co.uk/images/miniTitan325-15.jpeg

Conversion
http://www.sportsmoto.co.uk/acatalog/small-cobra-mag.jpg

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/10639/n/Thunder-Tiger-Mini-Titan-E325-Electric-3D-Helicopter-Kit

Jim

warbirdnut
09-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Just a note to hobby people:

I ordered new links for Cypher CYO260 about a month ago direct from HP.. And they ALL have MAJOR SLOP in them... NONE of them fit any of the balls snugly like they should...

Of the links that came with the kit on the other hand 90% fit correctly.

Not cool!

Jim

maddog57
09-19-2009, 07:58 AM
The Thunder Tiger helis are very nice. I have an interest in the TT 550E myself. I'd love to move up to a 500/550 size heli. Lots of models out there to choose from. But must master the 400/450 size for now. One of these years...

Jim that set screw will probably have to be drilled out. Don't know of another way to do it. I haven't had to on the Cypher, but did once on my Exceed G2. Wasn't too bad to do, just be careful and take your time. I've used left-handed drill bits to do this job before, sometimes you'll luck out.. the bit will catch the screw and back it out... sometimes !! This is why it's important to have quality allen wrenches. If the corners of the wrench get rounded off, you can expect the socket of the screw to do the same, and it'll strip [round] out.

warbirdnut
09-19-2009, 08:19 AM
The Thunder Tiger helis are very nice. I have an interest in the TT 550E myself. I'd love to move up to a 500/550 size heli. Lots of models out there to choose from. But must master the 400/450 size for now. One of these years...

Jim that set screw will probably have to be drilled out. Don't know of another way to do it. I haven't had to on the Cypher, but did once on my Exceed G2. Wasn't too bad to do, just be careful and take your time. I've used left-handed drill bits to do this job before, sometimes you'll luck out.. the bit will catch the screw and back it out... sometimes !! This is why it's important to have quality allen wrenches. If the corners of the wrench get rounded off, you can expect the socket of the screw to do the same, and it'll strip [round] out.

True dat!

I'll get it out when I do an over haul on her in about 8 weeks assuming no accidents.. :lol:

At this point I'll be happy to fly again....

Jim

warbirdnut
09-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Off Topic...

Check this out..

And I'm working on hovering... :lol:

I like the 'wild thing' segment...

:noteworthy:YeaBaby::noteworthy
YouTube - Alan Szabo t-rex 700

blvdbuzzard
09-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Jim, you can get the set screw out with a left hand drill bit, some JB weld on the end of the hex key, or if you have a sacrificial allen wrench lightly grind a larger size and tap it into place.

The Mini Titan is a good bird. I was torn between the Cypher and the Titan. This is a little more then I have

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=101500

Here is an online store for anything Thunder Tiger
https://www.thundertiger4u.com/store/comersus_index.asp

Dru.

maddog57
09-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Jim... doesn't it just kill ya, watching those guys throw their helis around like that? Amazes me every time !! Yeah, me too... Have all I can do to hover and keep it in the air. I guess if we all were sponsored, and flew all day every day, we could fly like that. I'll be creamin' my jeans when I get to the point that I can do simple FF !!!!

Got my Pro-3d carbon mains from HeliDerect yesterday. All 4 sets balanced beautifully. CG was only a hair off and took very small piece of tape to balance. Very happy with them so far. Looking forward to putting them on Cypher.

Also just finished mods on the servo openings to fit Hitec HS-65hb servos that also came yesterday. Came out perfect !! Have arms on and centered. Made shims for the aile and pitch servos cuz 65s are a bit taller than 94091s. I used old servo arms for this. They measure 1.75mm thick and left about a 1/32" gap between the servos when mounted in the frame. Also used a 2mm nut between the link ball and servo arm to get the original angle of the rods to the swash . So far, so good !!

warbirdnut
09-20-2009, 02:36 AM
I guess if we all were sponsored, and flew all day every day, we could fly like that.

Actually I have my doubts...

I think it's like real kung fu training... Some folks (most) will never be great at it, it's just not in their make up.. Most of the rest start too late . . And only a few perhaps .01% ever get great at it..

Heli skill is actually a good example of kung-fu, which actually means a deep skill that takes a long time to develop (for most)...

This guy is a national champ I think; I'd be interested to know how many years the good 3D folks normally take to get to real 3D ability..

Have you seen this fellow? :oops::YeaBaby::noteworthy

The heli is as big as he is... :lol:

YouTube - 4 Year Old Justin Jee (Justin Chi) - RC Heli Stick Movement - Sep 2006

LMAO

Jim

warbirdnut
09-20-2009, 02:51 AM
The Mini Titan is a good bird. I was torn between the Cypher and the Titan. This is a little more then I have

I don't know what that one comes with but I saw the kit w/o esc or motor for around $130. Not bad...

Jim

Olgierd
09-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Jim,
I saw Justin in Merland and Delaware Fun Fly. I am peaty sure he will be in Virginia. He is really good and usually flies T-Rex 700 or some other big heli. I saw him in 450 challenges where people should fly thought some obstacle. He was incredible concentrated and confided like for his age. In the end he is usual child and play with others in the same way.

I did about 22 fights in this weekend and unfortunately with one crash. Now I am able to fly in all orientation and almost in all direction. There is one angel in pirouette which I still have difficulty. I am nose in and trying to move nose right. I lost my Cypher when she turns vertical and I was not sure in which angle it was.

I compared my two Cyphers. The first GY520 + 9257 with analog Airtronics on cycle and the second with GY401+9257 and Hyperion DS11 on cycle with 6V. I cannot feel any big difference in cycle response, but I can feel big difference I overall tail holding. In a windy condition 520 works way better than 401 I like the new Futaba much better. I agree with Chris the gyre + tail servo is critical for heli performance. We can buy chip cycle servo but gyro and tail servo have to be decent quality.

n0rman
09-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Sorry dont know when any of the upgrades are coming out. I can send a email tomorrow and try and find out.

maddog57
09-24-2009, 05:50 AM
nOrman how 'bout the Pro version I've heard about?

warbirdnut
09-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Well I got my Cypher back together but the gyro is acting up... Much like it started doing before the crash... It is jerking left then right, drifting, wagging, etc on the gyro test stand.. So far I have not been able to get it to stabilize the tail.. God I hate this gyro..

Still working on it...

Jim

Olgierd
09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Well I got my Cypher back together but the gyro is acting up... Much like it started doing before the crash... It is jerking left then right, drifting, wagging, etc on the gyro test stand.. So far I have not been able to get it to stabilize the tail.. God I hate this gyro..

Still working on it...

Jim
Hi
I had some issue with GY401. Now it works rely well. I tighten everything in tail, replaced servo to 9257.

Did you consider buy used GY401? People are moving to latest Futaba gyro and the are selling old 401.

warbirdnut
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Well I got it a bit better... Reinitialized all settings including the secret pot... It is still not holding perfectly, doesn't like to be suddenly turned etc...

Thanks.. I'll look into the 401... Is that compatible with JR radios?

Jim

Olgierd
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Well I got it a bit better... Reinitialized all settings including the secret pot... It is still not holding perfectly, doesn't like to be suddenly turned etc...

Thanks.. I'll look into the 401... Is that compatible with JR radios?

Jim
Yes.
It is perfectly compatible. I am running JR DX9 2.4GHz Spectrum it is the same as X9303 2.4GHz.

blvdbuzzard
09-24-2009, 03:08 PM
The GY401 is a legend. I have (2) and they work great. I like the Logitech though for its sized. You get the gyro and servo for about the cost of the GY401.

Dru.