PDA

View Full Version : Cypher 3D - Love this Heli!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

Iceberg86300
10-28-2009, 07:45 AM
At the end of the day I always hook my LiPo's up to my Hyperion charger and put them into "store" mode. If they are drained then they get charged to 60%. If they are still fully charged they get discharged at 10amps to 60%.

I finally got my bird back in the air. Pretty well set on electronics now. Running a stock motor with a Hyperion Titan 35A PSW31 ESC. 3 S3156's on the cyclics (seem a bit slow, but I don't really bang the sticks around) A logictech 2100 gyro and a S9257 on the tail. All driven with a Futaba 7C.

It has been working well, but I've had a terrible time getting my curves set up.

Got a solution now though, the Hyperion ESC has a governer mode that works great, I just need a head speed to go with.

What do you guys recommend? 2500-3000 RPM? Or more like 2750 RPM? Once I get that set all I will have to worry about is pitch curves.

I gotta tell you this governor is awesome. Flick throttle hold before plugging everything in, then flip throttle hold off and the bird spins up super soft to whatever I have set in my throttle curve (40%,40%,40%40%40%) and the RPMS are rock solid no matter how I load the rotor.

Another question. I get a constant drift out of my gyro. Gain is maxed out in HH but still drifts. Do I need to go back in the process to adjust the "center" in rate mode?

All suggestions welcome! :-)

maddog57
10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Dru, ya made me LMFAO about the 2x4 between the knees !

Iceberg we love our Cyphers, don't we !! Best advice I can give on the 2100 gyro is to go to Finless' vid on the Hitech HG-5000 gyro set-up [if you haven't already], it's the same as the LT2100. I have that giro and had a slight drift too. I slid the servo on the boom just a hair to decrease the blade pitch cuz my drift was nose right. Yes you should check for servo center in rate mode as well. I really like the 2100, it's rock solid when set right. It's a bit more involved to set up than the GY-401, but you can adjust max travel in both directions, the 401is only one direction. But the 401 works great also.

I don't know exactly what HS mine has other than I think the max is 3000 rpm with the stock Cypher ESC. My max T-curve in normal is at 100%, but hover is probably around 2600 to 2700 rpm. The more knowledgable guys here can tell you more.

Chris :thumbup:

drobin
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.readyheli.com/Online_Headspeed_Calculator_s/81.htm

If anyone is wondering about their headspeed, go to this link.

Iceberg86300
10-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Here is the screenshot of data from my hovering just a bit ago.

Stats:
3S 2100mah LiteStorm CX 18C from Hyperion
HYPERION TITAN 35A V31 PSW ESC run in governor mode
T rex carbon tail blades
Everything else is stock

This ESC rocks! Put it in governor mode and it held solid at 2500 RPM. Did some picth pumping on the bench and the RPM's varied a bit, and being stationary I was able to drain the battery in less than a second by going to full negative pitch.

EDIT: Not actually drain the battery, but exceed its limits as the voltage drop caused ESC to issue the "land because your battery is about out of juice" message.

Wind picked up bad and I had to set it down, you can see I only used 1260mah, so hover time could really be about 10 minutes.

If anyone would like some data pulled let me know, I'll do the best I can, but I can't do much but hover at this point. Give me a creative way to test for what you want and I'll do it.

Steve

EDIT: thanks for the link drobin! Only wish they would show more governing options

maddog57
10-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Steve, you running 40% across the board throttle curve? Seems awfully low. What are you running for pitch curve? I think once you start progressing past the hover, you'll wanna up the T-curve for power and stability. Too low RPM could also cause tail holding issues. Also my LT2100 is 68% gain in HH and works well there.

Hi Dave !!

Iceberg86300
10-28-2009, 08:33 PM
My throttle curve is actuallly 46% across the board for hovering. Because I am running the Hyperion ESC in governor mode, this equates to an RPM of 2500. That 46% actually isn't a "throttle curve," it is actuallly an RPM command because of the governor mode.

When I wasn't using the governor mode I needed 70% throttle (actual power this time) to just barely get off the ground.

The governor is awesome in this respect. I just dial in an RPM using my data collection and forget it. The ESC does the rest trying to keep that RPM constant regardless of what I do with the pitch settings.

Steve

maddog57
10-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Cool Steve.

Olgierd
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi guys,
I still enjoy my Cypher. In calm day she flies really good. I master figure 8 in all directions and in windy conditions. Now I am working on stall turns. It is all about good timing nice exercise.
I recently tested my batteries. My charger has function to measure internal resistance. The best batteries are Thunder Power 30C around 10mOhm per cell. Next are Zyppies between 14-20 and one cell has 30. The worst is Impulse 2500 all cells have 30mOhm. It is always very very hot. If you do not want to fly crazy then stay with Zippy. If you want a lot of power go to Thunder Power with 30C or more.

blvdbuzzard
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
For me, my Ziipies are great. The cost of Thunder power is way to high. If i need a higher rated battery I will go with Rino's. HC's batteries are Zippy, Flight power then Rinos'.

I have some 610mah Rino's. I have abused the heck out of them and they run strong.

Dru.

Globs
11-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I use rubbish old Mystery 25c 2200mAh lipos, over 50 flight on each one and I still get 10 minute flight times :)

Olgierd
11-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I think my Zippy have about 70 flights or more. In the past I flew 6 min now I do 5 min but I little increase throttle curve and I do not discharge them so deeply. I have a feeling that after 4 minutes I am loosing like 20% of power then I just lend and put another zippy. The same is with Thunder Power but they give way more power from the beginning.

blvdbuzzard
11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Well I drive 150 miles to fly with my brother and brother in law. I pack 3 planes, all my flight stuff, batteries and all of the assorted stuff to go with it. i get there and start to unpack. I see I forgot to pack a single helicopter. The case with my RC-TEK Diablo is still in the garage, my Cypher was still on the bench. I can not believe I forgot them.

I still had a good day with the planes. I flew 6 flights on my Maggie, 4 flights on my Lucky Stik, lost count of the flights on my park jet, my YS .63 did not want to fire so I did not fly my Giles.

had a good day even though I did not fly my helicopters.

Dru.

Olgierd
11-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I started keeping my flight log about two month ago. I discovered that I did more then 70 flights with my Cypher. I just put after every 8-10 flights some oil into engine bearings. There was no need to do anything. She is really good and peaty solid.

Olgierd

blvdbuzzard
11-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Hobby Shack AKA Hobby People have the Cypher on sale again for $120.00 for the black Friday sale.

Dru.

P.S. We need to get this thread to 1000 posts before it goes away!

Olgierd
11-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi guys,
I am getting feel more and more my Cypher. I did yesterday in our club field in Brooklyn my first loops. Since I master flying in all orientation I was able to recover when I finish my loop in not the same orientation.
The first loops made my heart biting so heavily that I herd in my ears the height blood rush. I practiced loop during a week so I was able to little show off my club colleagues yesterday. The asked me what a heli it is. It flies peaty good :banana

Good luck with your Cypher it is really capable little heli.

maddog57
11-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey guys...

Think I'm about done flying for the season. By the time I get home from work, it's too dark to see well enough. Might get some weekends in before the snow flies [can't believe we haven't had any yet here in upstate N.Y. !!]. Had a real good 2nd half of this summer with my Cyphers. Still in tail-in orientation, but can make 'er go anywhere I want it to. All flights are in idle-up [finally got the balls to switch into it... wasn't half as scary as I'd expected]. Getting used to higher altitudes and having a blast doing piros, both L & R, fast and slow. Can feel I'm right on the edge of FF but can't quite get over that hump yet as I'm not yet comfortable enough with the other orientations. Next season for sure though !!!! Cypher is flying soooo good. Haven't had a crash in a while[thank God !!]. So I'll sim my butt off thru the winter and give 'er hell next summer.

Our thread has slowed, but not dead yet. Hope everybody had a good season flying and to those who have good weather year round, I'm soooo jealous!!!!!!!!

blvdbuzzard
11-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Well I flew on Thanks Giving day. I got a couple flights in the small back yard. Just some hovering and piros.

I was getting a little bored with just sitting there so I tried a flip. got the first one but the second one got away.

Cypher is in one piece but my Diablo needs parts :(:thumbdown: To low and I bounced it off the ground then it went bad.

Dru.

BoozinFlyer
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey guys,
The Cypher is my first do-it-yourselfer and I have a question about where the servos go in the rx. (I have the AR6200 rx by Spektrum.) I do know that the fore/aft servo plugs into the ele, and the gyro is in gear/aux. <- I could be wrong. I'd also like to know where the rest goes and basic set-ups in the tx. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Chris

maddog57
12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Boozin, I also have the AR6200 on my Cypher. With the tail facing you, the front right servo is Aile, plugs into RX port labeled Aile. Front left servo is Pitch, plugs into RX port labeled Aux 1. Rear servo is Elev, plugs into RX port labeled Elev. Gyro leads = plug with 3 wires goes into port labeled Rudd and the single lead plug goes into port labeled Gear with wire facing the little antennas. ESC plugs into RX port labeled throttle. Also, depending on your servos, the black or brown wire in each servo lead at the plug needs to be facing away from the antennas on the RX when pluged in. You'll like the Cypher. It's cheap to fix [keep main shafts, feathering shafts, main gears, tail booms and main blades on hand. these usually need replacing after a crash], quick, fun to fly and very handsome IMHO. Oh yeah... welcome to our thread. Some real experienced people here to answer any questions.

What TX are you using? If it's a DX6i, I can help. Your best off watching Finless Bobs vids [ if you haven't already] to get the set-up right, which is the first step. Too much involved to put here.

Dru, can't believe you dumped your Diablo !! Sorry for that. Doesn't look too bad from the pics. I feel for ya. I have so many crashes under my belt that I think I could do the repairs blind folded :lol::lol:

blvdbuzzard
12-01-2009, 07:14 PM
The problem I am finding is no one has the red booms in stock or the stainless steel fly bars, or the feathering shafts. I can get the black fly bars or a gray boom.

I have about 50 flights on the Diablo and this is the first time it has landed hard. It was going to happen, so I am not to upset. The Cypher is easier to get parts for and they cost less.

The parts are going to be around $50.00 for this crash. That is not counting the blades.

Dru.

Ah Clem
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Dru,

Did you try going straight to Scott (RC-Tek)?

guynsuite200
12-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi all - newbie here. I've been considering this bird for a while now. I've noticed Hobby People has it for $119.99. I currently have a Spektrum DX6i TX and if I buy the Cypher, I probably will get the Spektrum 6110e RX and JR G3703D/DS3500G GYRO/SERVO COMBO PACK. What would you all recommend for the cyclic servos?

Ah Clem
12-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I would go with the AR6200 as some early reports on the 6110 have not been as favorable as I would have hoped for, so far (please to a forum search).

As far as the servos go, the JR servo pack with the 3500G and 285's works very well (although I seem to remember having to grind the tail servo mount a bit to get the 3500G to fit properly. The metal geared 295's are nice as well.

For a gyro, I would go for the GY520 or the Spartan. Again, search the forums for posts on the various gyros but these two seem to be a the top of the heap right now.

blvdbuzzard
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Ah Clem. I did go straight to Scott. They do not have the carbon fin, I also need the shorter SS fly bar. The longer black one slows the cyclic down some. Then again I may need that for the scale body I want to put this frame in.

I will be ordering as soon as I get paid later next week. To nice of a bird not to keep flying. I will also oder a couple of each part to keep a stock on hand for it. This is the FIRST time I have had to work on it. It has been that good and I have not been that dumb.

Main shaft (single piece): $2.89

220mm black flybar rod (2pcs/package): $3.98

Tail shaft (3pcs/package): $6.95

Feathering shaft 3mm (3pcs/package): $5.99

CF vertical tail fin / plastic horizontal fin set: $8.98

CF tail boom: $6.95

Red Diablo ALU boom (B-stock – unused, but may have small imperfections): $2.00

Ah Clem
12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
You could always try KBDD paddles to speed up the cyclic...
(yet another shameless plug!).