Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Cypher 3D

Cypher 3D EF Cypher 3D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Cypher 3D - Love this Heli!

Hey all you Heli folks out there! I just received my new Cypher 3D and have spent 2 nights putting in the servo's running wiring, setting up Tx etc. I only had time today to fly it for about 1 pack and most of that was getting the feel of it in a hover and how well I had the gyro set up.

Here is my setup on it
3x JR - DS285 on cyclic
1x Futaba S9650 on the rudder
Futaba GY401 for the gyro
FlightPower 2170 battery
Dx7 Tx & Spektrum 6100 reciever

Now keeping in mind that I am still very much a newbie (only been flying for about 10 months) and this is my first "kit" heli I was very excited when I had decided to get it and I only did that after reading what people here were saying about it! My experiance in this size of heli so far is the Blade 400 (90% all Good) and Belt-CP (65% all bad) So keep that in mind as you read this!

First thing that took me in is that this bird just looks cool! The canopy is big enough for the battery and everything in the nose and it slips on/off very easily much easier than any other heli I have owned.

The instructions are in full color and easy to follow for the assembly process. Weird to me was the fact that you had to remove the main gear and main shaft (which were already assembled in the heli in the box) in order to install the elevator servo. Also the wires weren't color coded on the motor but believe it or not I got it right on the first try as my blades were going the correct way when the motor was started up!

The Head is mostly CNC and everything on the head seems to be 'one step tougher' than either the Belt-CP or Blade 400 the main shaft is solid 5mm and a little shorter than most of the ones I have experiance with. I have noticed a lot of folks that have commented on the head having a little slop but the one I got was actually a little too tight and was binding slightly. A very slight twisting of the head and smoothing 0.02 mm off of the main shaft diameter near the top stopped the binding but kept everything still very tight. (I noticed that the main shaft was about 0.02-0.03 mm 'fatter' in a small area where the binding was taking place.)

Once everything was assembled and I powered it on and it came to life without a hitch!

The Cypher 3D is heaver than the Blade400 and the Cypher feels much more solidly built. Like I said I haven't had a chance to do a lot with it but just the little I have done, I am very impressed. Also like a lot of you others out there.. I was skeptical about the low price on this bad boy but it seems so far to be a dream ticket! I got the heli and typical replacement parts from Hobby People for a total of like 180 or something. The heli was only $139! For the price this is one wowzer of a heli to me. I think I am going to just dump my crashed Belt-CP for whatever anyone might want to pay for parts to make room for the Cypher!

In a nutshell - I highly reccomend this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I keep telling people about this helicopter. I do not see much about it on the boards. I guess it is because it is not a Trex clone.

I have (3) of the Airtronics 94091 micro servos on mine. They are $14.00 each on sale. They work great. I am replacing all of my HS-55 with the 94091's as they strip the gears.

The Cypher handles the wind pretty well too. I was out in about 15-20mph wind and it just sat there. I had a GY240 with a 94091 servo on the tail. I tried the G401B from cnchelicopter.com for $40.00. It just did not work with any of my servos on this helicopter. I found a Logitech 2100T gyro with 3100G servo combo at Heliproz for $110.00 so I put that in my Cypher and it works very well.

I have planted mine twice. First crash took out 1 tail blade grip, 1 tail blade, feathering shaft, wood main blade exploded, fly bar. Second crash took out 1 tail blade grip, fethering shaft, fly bar. The carbon blades did not have a scratch. Landed in a bush

I like the way the Cypher is so stable in a hover, yet when you hit the sticks it just JUMPS to what you want. I am just able to do some flips and stationary rolls. I have not tried stall turns yet. I just don't get enough flight time.

I am running low cost 18C lipos in mine. I bought them for $20.00 a pack.

I read a review and this guy just tore the Cypher up. His biggest complaint was the way the canopy attaches. He could not believe that the mounting holes would last. He wanted rubber gromets and a better way to hold it at the bottom. I have put my canopy on and off about 50 times now. No signs of wear.

We need a cypher thread. Maybe that would get more people to look at the Cypher. I think it has more to do with the company that sells it or the company that is distributing it then the helicopter itself.

Dru.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like this heli also, i'm new to this so i dont have experiance with other ones.
Mine i have 3 of the Airtronics 94091 and a hi-tec Hb 65 on the tail with the futaba GY401 gyro. And using the Airtronics RDS 8000 radio. Ive had one crash so far, just clipped and shattered the blades,but also bent the main shaft. Just about $20.00 to fix. I would like to see more about it in here also.Is it that people dont like Hobby People? I know the one i go to no one knows heli's so they are no help at all.
So i need to come here and other forums to get info.
irjamesm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have no idea why people do not like this helicopter other then it is not a Trex clone. All you read about it this clone or that clone or this one is a clone of the carbon one.

I do think it is like Airtronics, they are treated like the red headed step child. They are good products, but they do not get the credit they deserve.

It is also on sale this weekend for $99.99.

Dru.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The cypher is on sale for $99.00? Wow....if i had an extra $99.00 bucks, I'd buy one just for parts......I think just the esc price is $58.00
I got mine for $139.00, still a good price
Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post
I have no idea why people do not like this helicopter other then it is not a Trex clone. All you read about it this clone or that clone or this one is a clone of the carbon one.

I do think it is like Airtronics, they are treated like the red headed step child. They are good products, but they do not get the credit they deserve.

It is also on sale this weekend for $99.99.

Dru.

hey Dru, where is this beautiful bird gonna be on saie for $99? I want another one, how could I let that deal go by?

Chris
maddog57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is $99.99 for the 5 day sale at Hobby People. Go there and sign up for the flyer. You get the sale flyer about a week before the sales.

Looks like there are a couple of people flying the Cypher. I still say it is because it is not a Trex clone, it is not as popular as it should be.
I have (2) HBKII's, MX450, RC-TEK Diablo, Chypher, (2) AXE's, Nexus, Raptor 30. I like the Cypher. I am scared to crash the MX450 or the Diablo, they run about double the cost per crash as the Cypher.

http://hobbypeople.net/

Dru.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hey guys, yeah I think I'll get another Cypher. It's a great heli, parts are readily available, it's soooo easy to set-up and it flys great! All that comes from a real new pilot that only has nine to ten months in this hobby. My first heli was an Exceed raptor G2 [it's OK to laugh, I do now ]. Didn't have a bit of luck with it, but I sure learned alot working on it. Now after working the sim for a few months, I can fly the Cypher with relitive ease, though still in the hovering stages. I have the Logictech 2100/3100 gyro/servo combo, which is rock steady. Cirrus 302bb servos on cyclic [not too impressed with these and will replace them with a better choice]. DX6i tx/rx and CellPro 3s 2200 25c batt.

kinda mild on the settings for now til I get better. -10, +10 for pitch and 5 deg. of cyclic throw. 15% expo on all. norm thro curve of 0-40-50-75-100. pitch curve is -3, -1, +5, +7, +10. all just starting points, but I can keep it in the air and it's easy to control.

Must agree with ya Dru. I think the Cypher isn't as popular cuz it's not a trex clone. That's one thing I like about it. and it is pretty!! wondering if EF will be marketing any up-grades in the future. I've seen on another forum that EF had metal parts on display at an RC show somewhere.

'nuff from me . hope this thread keeps going. seems like most others have died out or are about to.

Chris

Last edited by maddog57; 02-13-2009 at 05:01 AM..
Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.u...s/DSCF0060.jpg
https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.u...s/DSCF0059.jpg

I think this link will work. anybody seen these?[ Dru you might recognize these from another forum]. Wonder if anything has come of a Pro version I once heard about.

Chris

Last edited by maddog57; 02-13-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just pick one up last night ... Looking forward to getting her in the air..
Zero-Dark-Thirty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We should try to keep this forum/room alive ,there's at least 5 of us. Yea i got the flyer, it's $99.99 from the 12th to the 16th.And they have the futaba Gy401 gyro on sale too for $129.99.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just ordered my 2nd Cypher for $99.99. Just couldn't let it pass me by. Now I need to deciede what cyclic servos to go with. Any suggestions?

Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im using the Airtronics 94091Z servos
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yeah, Hobby People has them for $18. How do they work for you? I have a set of Hitec HS65's I could use but would need to shim the pitch and aileron servos outward cuz they're a bit too tall. May go that route cuz I still need to get the gyro/tail servo. HeliProz has the Logictech 2100 / 3100 combo for $109. that's a great price. Will need to check the funds first.

later, Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They work great, I think Dru (blvdbuzzard) has them on his too. You say your getting another one? So you will have 2? Or do you not have the 1st anymore?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The one I ordered just today is my 2nd Cypher, still have the 1st. I like this bird so much that when I found out about the sale, I couldn't pass it up.

I'm really disapointed that Cypher hasn't been more popular. Global did a lot of advertising. RC Heli mag gave it a pretty good review. And who else has a strong heli on the market for about $150 -160 WITH motor and ESC? Must stem back to what Dru said about the clones.

Anyway... should have new blades tomorrow [?]. I'm dyin' to fly, so til then it's sim sim sim!
Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just got mine about a month ago, i'm kinda new to this. i had the Ef Sabre fixed pitch heli, not a very good one, but it helped me alot on control. Cause i could pretty much hover the cypher 1st flight. But the setup was where i have been having trouble as the manual dont tell you nutt'in.So forums have helped me quite a bit. People that have experience willing to help others without as much
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yeah, I'm still new at this myself. I think I've used just about all the FinLess Bob vids for the 450 class helis. He goes thru all the set-ups from step one right on thru. Never knew there is so much to it. Learned a ton of stuff from different forums. The heli community is a great one. Anything I can do to help, just ask. Like I say I'm new too, but I'll do my best.

Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

i am going with align ds410 servo on cyclic and ds420 on tail. gy401 all on 6v, i have a cc10 bec sitting around . everything else stock. may be a pair of carbon main blade could be nice . going to try a metal Beam e4 main grip on it when my friend give his spare to me .
Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog57 View Post
yeah, I'm still new at this myself. I think I've used just about all the FinLess Bob vids for the 450 class helis. He goes thru all the set-ups from step one right on thru. Never knew there is so much to it. Learned a ton of stuff from different forums. The heli community is a great one. Anything I can do to help, just ask. Like I say I'm new too, but I'll do my best.

Chris

Yea, those helped me alot (Vids) I know what you mean about never knew about how much there was to it, but i'm hooked. Wife dont get it, but i dont get her purse fasination....go figure...

Tags
airtronics, cypher, make that the esc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in