PDA

View Full Version : Cypher 3D - Love this Heli!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

Vechlor
04-28-2010, 09:21 PM
HP is having a 72hr sale on the EF brushless 35A ESC (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/165030.asp) for $18! Really good price for anyone looking for one.

On the subject of the tail servo ball, I think mines 6-7mm from center close to the boom. It lines up good with the control rod, but does bend up and down a little with full servo throws.
Also, I used washers on the vertical tail fin screws for added spacing between the control arm, I think mine is warped and was hitting. The other Cyphers I looked at don't have a warped fin. Adding washers added some weight to the tail and helped with CG, though I don't mind having some nose weight for forward flight, so it all worked out.

kevinbattista
04-29-2010, 01:31 AM
HP is having a 72hr sale on the EF brushless 35A ESC (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/165030.asp) for $18! Really good price for anyone looking for one.

On the subject of the tail servo ball, I think mines 6-7mm from center close to the boom. It lines up good with the control rod, but does bend up and down a little with full servo throws.
Also, I used washers on the vertical tail fin screws for added spacing between the control arm, I think mine is warped and was hitting. The other Cyphers I looked at don't have a warped fin. Adding washers added some weight to the tail and helped with CG, though I don't mind having some nose weight for forward flight, so it all worked out.

~Vechlor, my fin is a lil bent too, i used a piece of a shower wall to make a spacer , also added a 1/2oz fishing weight with some holes drilled into it for c/g .
my ball is 10mm from center but on the inside of the arm, bends a little also.

~Mike, we can mess with it sat. (unless i get bored before then). what time we lookin at? same field as last time?

I have a question about the AMA, if im just gonna fly helis and want to join a club , i just need a "park flyer" membership right?? or do i need a "FULL" membership??:confused:

~Doc, head hold "HH" is the way to go:thumbup: Mike can help,i think he's got stock in Futaba ;)

~ what ever happened to "wmartin38" ??:thinking

wa3itz
04-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Looks like I want HH. Mike if you can you setup inf for the Futaba 9C would be great. Doc

cmezip
04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
So I got my Cypher yesterday and I thought I had I was gonna use some HS65 but I cant find them anymore. So I am thinking Futaba S3154 or Align DS410, I paged through quite a bit of this thread but still am not sure. I will be using this heli to beat on, I love the DS510's on my Trex-500.

Vechlor
04-29-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't recommend the Futaba micro servos for this heli. I bought the s3114 analog versions before returning them for the Airtronics 94091z. The s3114 don't include mounting hardware, the arms are really flimsy and no one seems to sell a beefier arm with the right shaft spline. Also, the mounting hole length is shorter and won't reach the frame holes.

I would go with Airtronics, HiTec or Align for either digital or analog, depending on how much you want to spend and your needs. :thumbup: I read a post that the DS410 are a mix of plastic gears and metal while the DS410M are all metal. Upgrading the plastic gears to metal is much more $$ than going with the metal version DS410M.

kevinbattista
04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
So I got my Cypher yesterday and I thought I had I was gonna use some HS65 but I cant find them anymore. So I am thinking Futaba S3154 or Align DS410, I paged through quite a bit of this thread but still am not sure. I will be using this heli to beat on, I love the DS510's on my Trex-500.

~cmezip, 1+ to vechlor. i'm using the Align DS410 servo's , fit's snug, came with hardware and lined up nicely:thumbup: p.s. please dont "beat on" heli's.. heli abuse is a crime;)

.. ~Mike, + , i moved my tail servo around and changed the way i had it mounted, now the ball is about 8mm from center ( closest hole on arm) didn't need to bend rod. nice strait shot to tail :thumbup: i put pics in my album;)

Ah Clem
04-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Align 410M Poll:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=148420

maddog57
04-29-2010, 06:51 PM
cmezip, you're now an official member of our little club. You'll like your Cypher. I don't recommend using the HS65's unless you're willing to do the mods it takes to get them to fit. They're a GREAT servo... very tough even with the carbonite gears and I've found them for $20 here;
http://www.centralhobbies.com/radiosNservos/hitec/hitec65.html Click on the "purchase" to see the $19.99 price.

I've done the mods, not all that hard. I just posted a brief description here on pg. 133, post # 1324. I can be more detailed if you really wanna do it.

Chris :thumbup:

sleddog7
04-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Looks like I want HH. Mike if you can you setup inf for the Futaba 9C would be great. Doc

Doc,
I'll certainly help you set up the gyro in HH mode, but I will ask you if you've watched the Finless Vid on the 401 gyro.... only because it will save me hours of typing.

....OR, you can call me directly for one-on-one real time guidance.

FYI, I don't even bother with flying any of my helis in Rate mode (Standard)... they're ALL set up to fly in HH (Heading Hold) on both sides of the switch.

STD (standard) = Rate Mode
GY (AVCS) = Heading Hold... Futaba lingo :D

sleddog7
04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
~Mike, we can mess with it sat. (unless i get bored before then). what time we lookin at? same field as last time?

Kev, We can go to the same old parking lot in Worcester on Saturday or to the club... the parking lot is better for you at this stage of the game (smooth surface).

We will work on take-offs, 20 second chest-high hovers (no drifting) and landings to a pre-determined painted mark. We will burn about 15 batteries for this exercise.

You got the basics of hovers figured out. Now my job is to prevent you from being stuck in a hover for the rest of your life :D.

Play time is over :shock:, how we're gonna do some 'work' :D

Remember... Smoooooooth stick imputs.
I'll have you flying smooth like this in a year or less. :thumbup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVKpelxjAo

04-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey guys, my Cypher showed up at my door today. I'm just waiting on ds410's and the build begins. I'm looking forward to getting her in the air. I'll keep you posted.

Stu

kevinbattista
04-30-2010, 02:36 AM
Kev, We can go to the same old parking lot in Worcester on Saturday or to the club... the parking lot is better for you at this stage of the game (smooth surface).

We will work on take-offs, 20 second chest-high hovers (no drifting) and landings to a pre-determined painted mark. We will burn about 15 batteries for this exercise.

You got the basics of hovers figured out. Now my job is to prevent you from being stuck in a hover for the rest of your life :D.

Play time is over :shock:, how we're gonna do some 'work' :D

Remember... Smoooooooth stick imputs.
I'll have you flying smooth like this in a year or less. :thumbup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVKpelxjAo

HA! a YEAR?? try by the END OF THE DAY:YeaBaby: ok, maybe a few months.. anyway,
i dont care where we go. Worc is closer to me, but the field is nicer ( maybe more people though?) OH>>> i made a heli landing pad for the grass... and yes i can hit the mark ( most of the time ) i've mostly been at it with the BLADE since i had that little scare with the CYPHER... but hell, if i can hover AND land the blade ( with NO training gear ) doin it with the CYPHER should be childs play.. my big problem is keeping a steady height... i'm always up and down like a yo yo:thumbdown: i took fri off from work so i'll give you a call fri night.

~1157, congrats..now peel the stickers off and paint it while you wait for the servos:YeaBaby:

wa3itz
04-30-2010, 07:05 AM
I can't seem to find this video. Where can I find it? Do you have a site I can go to? Thanks Doc

cmezip
04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
I ordered the DS410's I hope I like them as much as do the 510's in my Trex-500.

I had the HS65's in my HDX-450 and they were very durable and good, but for 7 bucks more and digital I couldnt pass it up. I was hoping to have it up this weekend but I doubt the servos will be here tomorrow so hopefully next week.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

kevinbattista
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
I can't seem to find this video. Where can I find it? Do you have a site I can go to? Thanks Doc

~~Doc = http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692 all you need ;)

~Mike, try'd to hover the CYPHER today..wanted to see how the tail responded after adjustments... cyclic too sensitive ( i think ) drifting alot... whats a good number for the AIL and ELE ?? RIGHT NOW +28%

sleddog7
04-30-2010, 06:23 PM
We'll take a closer look at the whole thing on Saturday.The sizing of the ball links and freeing up the flybar *might* need the swash numbers changed.

I'll add a touch of softening exponential to the 3 surfaces too.

irjamesm
04-30-2010, 09:53 PM
.. my big problem is keeping a steady height... i'm always up and down like a yo yo:thumbdown:

Kevin, Do you fly in normal mode? Or idle up? cause with idle up you can keep your r.p.m.s up and just fly collective. Way easier, especially when its windy.

kevinbattista
05-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Kevin, Do you fly in normal mode? Or idle up? cause with idle up you can keep your r.p.m.s up and just fly collective. Way easier, especially when its windy.

~James, i think normal at the moment as Mike and i havent got together to set everything up yet.. goin first thing in morning. i'll post and let ya know how it went;)

wa3itz
05-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Mike, VIDEO Exactly what I needed. Downloaded it, Than found the one I must have downloaded week ago. Don't get old it is harder and harder to get it right. I do get it eventually but some times you have to go around the block to get next door. Almost ready to try, waiting for batteries. Thanks to all of you, you are a great bunch, It's a shame the rest of the world cant be like those in our hobbies. Doc in Potter PA.

05-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I know this has been brought up before. Why doesn't the Cypher have it's own thread? I don't understand. It's a nice little heli. My cyclic servos can't get here fast enough. Come on!

Stu

DirtyDan92
05-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm really considering picking one of these up... especially for the price.

05-01-2010, 09:13 PM
I spoke too soon. My servos showed up. Let the build begin. I already went through it with CA and lock-tite. Should I use the provided 315 blades or should I use a set of 325's?

Vechlor
05-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Dan,
Check for sales from Hobby People, I've seen them go for about $98 and on ebay for $75. :thumbup:

Stu,
Those are fine for hovering and some easy sport flying, for anything else I would use carbon fiber blades. Before using any blade, check them for warping, balance and cg as this is the biggest cause of vibrations. Here's a post (http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=1993108) where to find some good cf blades.

kevinbattista
05-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm really considering picking one of these up... especially for the price.

~Dan, GO FOR IT :) it's a GREAT heli for a GREAT price and lots of help here:thumbup:

~1157 i'm usin 315's , no probs

Had a good flight todat but mostly flew the T`Rex 450, couldnt get the Tx set up to buddy:thumbdown: new canopy came in today, let the paint fly ! blue, yellow ,and green.. i'll be able to see it for miles! i'll post pics when done, prob take a few weeks to do it right.

Vechlor
05-01-2010, 11:30 PM
*Whispers to Kev, buddy box'n isn't real, take the red pill...*

Fire up that paint gun, lock and load! You'll need at least a few weeks for that screaming-hot-rod-paint-job-of-awesomeness! :Bang But with your talents, probably no more than a few days... :P