PDA

View Full Version : Cypher 3D - Love this Heli!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

Ah Clem
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I have not researched the gear any further.

I do think the headspeed on my Cypher was a bit excessive with the stock gear, and will look into the 13 tooth one.

wa3itz
06-22-2010, 11:01 AM
As a new pilot on Helli's not able to hover for more then 15 seconds. How would I know the head speed it to high?? I haven't tried my cypher yet. Just my Challenger. Doc in PA

Ah Clem
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I have not tached mine, I just felt the headspeed was too high from the sound and the feel.

There are some on this thread that have a lot more time on theirs and can probably tell you what the maximum headspeed should be. I would guess about 2800 RPM.

blvdbuzzard
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I have been spend all of my money and time rebuilding my kitchen. My poor Cypher is looking at me like I forgot about it. I am down to 1 battery and Hobby King had a great sale on the 20C 2200 batteries for less then $9.00 and I did not have a dime to order any.

My weekends are consumed with the remodel. The good thing is I am about 60% done and I can almost get to my work bench. I still have some of the kitchen stuff in the way.

I should be able to order some batteries here soon. I am going crazy with no R/C fun on the weekends.

Dru.

P.S. Here is what I have done so far.

maddog57
06-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Looks good Dru. Soon you'll be done and back in the air !!

Guys I've never tached my Cyphers, but did read a few times that the max HS with the stock 15t pinion, motor and ESC is 3000rpm. That's pretty fast !! You could also just lower the throttle curve some. I really need to get a tach.

Chris :thumbup:

blvdbuzzard
06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Chris is right. The head speed is about 3K. The stock setup should have you hovering at 3/4 stick and about 75-80% on the curve at about 2500 to 2800 RPM. That is of course with the differences in batteries and blades.

I have worked so dang hard on the kitchen. Lots of time and effort. Soon, very soon I will be able to enjoy some free time to fly.

Dru.

kevinbattista
06-23-2010, 12:57 AM
I have been spend all of my money and time rebuilding my kitchen. My poor Cypher is looking at me like I forgot about it. I am down to 1 battery and Hobby King had a great sale on the 20C 2200 batteries for less then $9.00 and I did not have a dime to order any.

My weekends are consumed with the remodel. The good thing is I am about 60% done and I can almost get to my work bench. I still have some of the kitchen stuff in the way.

I should be able to order some batteries here soon. I am going crazy with no R/C fun on the weekends.

Dru.

P.S. Here is what I have done so far.

batteries for less then $9??:WOW how come i dont know about these deals? i thought i was on the mailing list:shock: hope it's not too late..
do me a favor guys..... please post when batteries or CYPHER stuff goes on sale?ce:cheersstart a thread or somethin:cheers
oh DRU.. nice job on the kitchen:thumbup:

oh here's a link to the pinion gears http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/VENOM_11T_and_12T_PINION_2_3mm_SHAFT_5_MOD_p/vnpg-102.htm

blvdbuzzard
06-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I found out after the sale was over. Need to check mail more often. I do know if you go to HK, they show sales in the upper part showing things on sale in that section.

"Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C
Full Capacity, Full C Rate & includes Nylon XT60 plug.
You wont find this quality and reliability at this price anywhere!
2nd Generation Lipoly technology wont puff & holds it's voltage
during heaving Amp drain.
Now just $8.99!"

Dru.

Cryptovariable
06-24-2010, 03:09 AM
Kevin (and anyone looking for pinion gears):

Make sure you get a pinion that has a 2.3mm shaft diameter and a 0.4 module.

The Venom pinion gear that you linked to is a 0.5 module and it appears all the pinions on that site are 0.5 (even though the description mentions that Venom makes 0.4, it doesn't appear that they are sold there).

If you are looking for pinions, here are some inexpensive ones:

11 tooth: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9251

12 tooth: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9252

13 tooth: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9253

14 tooth: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9254

15 tooth: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9255

Here is the gear puller I use (see attached pic):

http://www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=GWSGPSTD&itemname=gear_puller_set_std_2_2_3_3_1mm

Also, you wanted pictures of my setup, but I crashed before I took good ones! Here is what my Cypher looks like as of today (from both sides). I will post better pictures soon. :)

Justin

Cryptovariable
06-24-2010, 03:25 AM
FOR SALE! MAKE OFFER!

Almost new carbon fiber rotor blades (325s). Only five flights on them! Were meticulously balanced, but your results may vary.

Justin :)

kevinbattista
06-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Justin, what's a "module ? and what's the difference between the .4 and .5?
i have an ALIGN motor now ( i broke the shaft on my CYPHER motor )
the ALIGN has a 3mm shaft so i use a dremel to open the hole a bit in the 14t pinion from the CYPHER motor.. works fine so far. i also ordered some 15t pinions that were SUPPOSED to be 3mm but were a bit smaller so i drilled them out too. i have yet to put on though. i'm also waiting for a stock to be filled for scorpion shafts ( 3mm ) so i can replace the one that broke off from the CYPHER motor. 2.3 seems to break to ez

but again ... whats the "module" ?:confused:

Ah Clem
06-24-2010, 09:50 AM
I think it is actually "modulus", not that that helps much.

I believe it is a standardized way to define the depth, size, and pitch of the gears. I was not familiar with this either, until someone on the forum defined it (if only I could find that link...).

kevinbattista
06-24-2010, 11:59 PM
does it REALLY matter? how much of a difference are we talking ? and how do we measure to find out? :confused: yes CLEM, please find that link:P
the 15t pinions i just got are bigger then the one thats on now ( oem 14t for CYPHER )
the ALIGN motor didn't come with a pinion so i didnt think it mattered:dontknow
where can i get some 411 about this? i love somethin NEW to learn:thumbup:

Ah Clem
06-25-2010, 12:40 AM
I will look for the link.

This is your fault!
(all of you who participate in this thread)

I have now proudly re-joined your ranks!

I pulled the Cypher out of storage today (after almost a year, I think), removed the TT paddles (I started out stock, with the stock paddles and flybar, then added a longer flybar for quicker cyclic and more stability, then went to Mini-Titan paddles..) and installed KBDD paddles on it (it already had KBDD tail blades).

I flew it, tweaked the throttle curve to reduce the RPM to the head, then flew it again. The little machine flies very nicely, rolls nice and flat, flies inverted as well as it does upright, excellent tail control and has a generally nice feel to it (I had forgotten). RPM is nicely constant, no matter what I do with the machine.

Great, inexpensive little helicopter.

jmmccain
06-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Attached is a pic that demonstrates module (in a roundabout sort of way).

http://www.helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=164800&d=1277502417

Both of the gears have the same pitch diameter (15mm). One gear has twice the module, but half the teeth. The other has half the module, but twice the teeth. Clearly, these two gears would not mesh properly. This is because they have different modules.

Take the M0.5, 30 tooth, gear and mate it with a M0.5, 90 tooth, gear. This provides a 1:3 ratio. The 90 tooth gear would have a pitch diameter of 45mm (0.5 x 90).

Take the M1.0, 15 tooth, gear and mate it with a M1.0, 45 tooth, gear. This provides a 1:3 ratio. The 45 tooth gear would have a pitch diameter of 45mm (1.0 x 45).

Both sets of gears have the same ratios, pitch diameters, and center (mounting) distances. What's the diffference? The M1.0 gearset has larger teeth that will support larger forces. This means more torque may be transmitted with this gearset before failure occurs. However, the M0.5 gearset, having more teeth, will be slightly more efficient under similar loads that it can support.

Edit: Here's a thread (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=196898) where I describe how to measure the module of a gear. Note that module applies only to gears that are made to metric standards. Perhaps all of our helis are made to metric standards, but it's possible that there may be some that use gears made to imperial (inch) standards. Imperial gears use something called diametral pitch, or DP. Its the same general relation (diameter vs. teeth, module or DP), but millimeter vs. inch is still a pitfall when measuring a gear.

kevinbattista
06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Attached is a pic that demonstrates modulus (in a roundabout sort of way).

Both of the gears have the same pitch diameter (15mm). One gear has twice the modulus, but half the teeth. The other has half the modulus, but twice the teeth. Clearly, these two gears would not mesh properly. This is because they have different moduli.

Take the M0.5, 30 tooth, gear and mate it with a M0.5, 90 tooth, gear. This provides a 1:3 ratio. The 90 tooth gear would have a pitch diameter of 45mm (0.5 x 90).

Take the M1.0, 15 tooth, gear and mate it with a M1.0, 45 tooth, gear. This provides a 1:3 ratio. The 45 tooth gear would have a pitch diameter of 45mm (1.0 x 45).

Both sets of gears have the same ratios, pitch diameters, and center (mounting) distances. What's the diffference? The M1.0 gearset has larger teeth that will support larger forces. This means more torque may be transmitted with this gearset before failure occurs. However, the M0.5 gearset, having more teeth, will be slightly more efficient under similar loads that it can support.

Edit: Here's a thread (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=196898) where I describe how to measure the modulus of a gear. Note that modulus applies only to gears that are made to metric standards. Perhaps all of our helis are made to metric standards, but it's possible that there may be some that use gears made to imperial (inch) standards. Imperial gears use something called diametral pitch, or DP. Its the same general relation (diameter vs. teeth, modulus or DP), but millimeter vs. inch is still a pitfall when measuring a gear.

thank you Joseph:thumbup:

so it turns out ALL the pinions i just bought are :BSSwish i would have known about this BEFORE i spent the $10 :DOH

so where can i get a 14t,15t ~ .4 module ~3.2mm inside bore pinion ?? the search begins :fly
oh SCORPION pinions .. but no 3.17mm http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/accessories/pinion_gear/

Cryptovariable
06-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Just out of curiosity...

Where does everyone come up with the term "modulus"?

I can't find anything online that supports the validity of the term.

I can however find "module". Here is an example:

The module system

Countries which have adopted the metric system generally use the module system. As a result, the term module is usually understood to mean the pitch diameter in millimeters divided by the number of teeth. When the module is based upon inch measurements, it is known as the English module to avoid confusion with the metric module. Module is a direct dimension, whereas diametral pitch is an inverse dimension (like "threads per inch"). Thus, if the pitch diameter of a gear is 40 mm and the number of teeth 20, the module is 2, which means that there are 2 mm of pitch diameter for each tooth

and...

www.khkgears.co.jp/en/gear_technology/pdf/module.pdf

(there is a really good diagram and explanation in that link BTW)

Still no "modulus". Just wondering where it comes from.

Justin

jmmccain
06-26-2010, 06:55 AM
It is module, not modulus. My bad. I had some :cheers last night... :oops:
Edit: I've edited my previous post to use the correct term.

Ah Clem
06-26-2010, 09:12 AM
My fault, not jmmccains.

I had read modulus on another thread a long time ago and corrected someone who said "module"here.

Entirely my error.

irjamesm
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey all, how is everyone? Sorry to say my father passed 2 weeks ago. And thought id let you guys know before you forgot all about me here.

Ah Clem
06-30-2010, 07:05 PM
James,

Very sorry to hear that sir.

maddog57
07-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Good to hear from you James. So sorry to hear that news. No, we didn't forget about you.

Chris :thumbup:

Ah Clem
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Anyone going to Miramar?

blvdbuzzard
07-01-2010, 10:43 AM
James, glad to hear from you, sorry to hear that.

I am bound to not have any fun until the kitchen is done. So I will not be flying or doing anything for a while.

Dru.

Ah Clem
07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
"I am bound to not have any fun until the kitchen is done. So I will not be flying or doing anything for a while."

Been there, done that!

I completely gutted the kitchen 10 years ago (and I still have the nightmares).

Took everything out, including the floor, down to the floor joists, redid the electrical, gas line, and some of the plumbing, installed new sub-floor, new floor, cabinets, tile, etc.

Again, I still have the nightmares...

You don't really need a kitchen-pick up fast food on the way to the flying field!