PDA

View Full Version : walkera 60

skipper
05-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Hello from downunder!
decided to take the challenge and go electric heli after many years of flying acro.....hmmmmm....not easy....many bad habits from flying planks!
Have bought two helis, a t rex and a walkera 60. The t rex has been built less radio and gyro and put on the shelf until I learn to fly. I purchased the stock standard walkera 60 with BRUSHED motor planning to at least try to hover it before updating it with better electronics, radio motor, gyro etc. Yes Ive read all the forums on walkera, but I love a challenge! Suprisingly the walkera 60 in my opinion is turning out to be value for money. I have had no bad experiences with the electronics so far - I dont need lightening fast servos or fancy electronics yet. After trimming the 60, checking all nuts and bolts and replacing a few fasteners (namely the pitiful screws that hold the servos to the frame) and moving the tail servo to the boom ala trex, I am now begining to make some short hovers. The bird seems pretty stable, its just the pilot that needs more trimming. I plan on using the walkera as a test bed for the electronics that I purchase for the t rex.
Anyway is there anyone else with one of these birds????It would be great to get some "information swapping" happening re the new 60. It is not a high end chopper but for the money, I cant complain and I reckon if I can get this thing flying, the t rex should be a walk in the park??

Stay tuned and watch me eat my words!!

He who Flares Wins!

Laurens
05-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Can you get a link to the heli? You're lucky because I thought Walkera made 60 size heli...

skipper
05-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Sorry laurens, dont quite understand your message but walkera only make low end electric helis but they are widely available.....check em out on ebay or at walkera.com
Most of the forum chat ive seen regarding this company gives them a bad rap however as I said, for the money, the w60 is not a bad investment if your handy with electronics and know a bit about rc. The new walkera 60 (model number only, doesnt refer to size or class) is not a bad bare bones chopper. Has metal frame and a neat belt drive tail system and auto function. Swash and rotor head look reasonably good too....bought mine for 65 pounds plus postage off ebay.......For that sort of money I didnt expect much however the thing seems to want to fly even with the nimh batts and the brushed motor! I'll only get about three minutes of flight time til i update to litho and brushless but at least its given me a cheap start in the hobby and im not a threat to the rex!.........YET
CHEERS

Laurens
05-28-2006, 06:40 AM
I know Skipper, I have 2 DF #4 which have never flown.

skipper
05-29-2006, 10:17 AM
what are you flying at the moment?

Laurens
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Robbe Spirit Li. Great little heli, cheap to crash, only limited by the pilot.

atlemo
08-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey skipper!

Would you mind posting some photos of this "and moving the tail servo to the boom ala trex" ?

I've got the 60 myself, with the Elf Hobby brushless and ESC, and full metal upgrade. Loving it!

skipper
08-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Hello Atlemo
Pics are a bit hard at the mo. but to change the tail servo position to the boom, you can use the t-rex plastic (or metal) tail servo holders they fit fine. my servo is just aft of the gyro. cut the long tail control rod supplied to fit the new servo position. take off the bell crank and other rod and keep for spare. to reattach the bll end, i used cyano to glue the ball end onto the rod, it was a tight and perfect glue joint....i have taken a lot of play out of the tail system on the 60 however i think this is still a weak part of the heli and i look foward to upgrading the tail to metal soon. i would prefer to buy a trex precision tail instead of the specific df60 metal tail so is any one out there whose tried this and how did it go????
I am very much still learning to fly and havent got past about a 20 second hover and i spose ive had about 25 flights,,,,one reason is the space that i limit myself to either the garage or the sunroom. i think this is teaching me good skills in trying to keep the heli in the one spot....am looking foward to flying in a more open area.

By the way atlemo, how do you find the elf hobby motor and where are they available from?
Cheers for now

umran
08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I used to have #4, #35 and #36 Walkera, with original electronics, never able to make a smooth flight from those helis, except #36 that is also after using futaba radio, but after i get my hands on Trex.... it is a world apart..... but a friend of mind said that Walkera have improve their electronics a lot for the #59 and #60.... haven't try those yet.....

skipper
08-27-2006, 06:40 AM
I think one of thr biggest problems in flying any heli like this is the lack of a computer radio and the limitations of adjusment. However for the money it certainly has started me off well in the hobby

umran
08-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Yup, that is absolutely true... can't beat those price....