PDA

View Full Version : Piston Replacment

Tom.C
03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Does any body know how to get the piston out of the engine? its a irvine 36 ringed (I think) wont really know until i get it out,looks like the con rod has a rivit in it that holds it on to the crank,

Cheers, Tom

DavidH
03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi,

Does any body know how to get the piston out of the engine? its a irvine 36 ringed (I think) wont really know until i get it out,looks like the con rod has a rivit in it that holds it on to the crank,

Cheers, Tom

I have never seen a con rod riveted or attached to the crank with a bolt. The con rod is just a slip fit on the pin on the back of the crankshaft.
Take the cylinder head off the crankcase.
Slide the cylinder liner out of the crankcase.
Now slip the con rod and piston off the pin on the back of the crankshaft ( The back plate will have to be off the engine to accomphlish this as it is what keeps the conrod from sliding off the pin when the engine is running)

Here is a exploded view diagram of the Irvine 39 Heli Engine. I would think the 36 is the similar if not exactly the same.
http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=L-IRV4393&Category=080&map=24&mapImg=L-IRV4393.jpg

David

Four Stroker
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
You may also have to bake the engine in the oven at say 250F for 15 minutes to get the cylinder to slide out.

Pinecone
03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I have seen some with a slip in button to keep teh crank pin from contacting the backpalte and chewing it up.

Tom.C
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Cheers all, looks like baking the engine will have to wait till the morning, you were right it should just slide off i can move it a couple of mm with the sleeve still in the cylinder.Thanks both of to all of you. Tom.C