PDA

View Full Version : F3C Contest Manuevers Videos Schedule A and B by Wayne Mann

Pages : [1] 2

ErichF
06-05-2006, 10:00 PM
By popular demand:

Intro to Birmingham AAA Challange Event 2006 (10M) (http://video.helifreak.com/?filename=BirminghamAAAChallenge2006.zip)

Wayne Mann- F3C Schedule A Hovering - Birmingham AAA Challange Event 2006 (35M) (http://video.helifreak.com/?filename=Wayne%20Mann%20Sched%20A%20Hovering.zip)

Wayne Mann- F3C Schedule A High Manuevers - Birmingham AAA Challange Event 2006 (35M) (http://video.helifreak.com/?filename=Wayne%20Mann%20Sched%20A%20High.zip)

Wayne Mann- F3C Schedule B Hovering - Birmingham AAA Challange Event 2006 (35M) (http://video.helifreak.com/?filename=Wayne%20Mann%20Sched%20B%20Hovering.zip)

Wayne Mann- F3C Schedule B High Maneuvers - Birmingham AAA Challange Event 2006 (35M) (http://video.helifreak.com/?filename=Wayne%20Mann%20Sched%20B%20High.zip)

Be advised there's a Typo in the Schedule A High Manuevers titling...the auto at the end is a 180 NOT a 360... :roll:

You can read the manuevers at:

ftp://www.fai.org/sporting_code/sc4/sc4.f3c.06.Rev1.zip

Enjoy!

Erich

WillJames
06-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for sharing Erich!! Really looking forward to watching in the AM.

Malorie
06-06-2006, 05:49 AM
Nice job wayne, some impressive control there.

Thanks for sharing Erich.

Malorie

Gary O
06-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I know a lot of guys may think FAI is boring and watching can be, but when you try and do it with absolute control it is really tough. With the wind blowing the way it appeared to be by evidence of the trees it's even harder.

ErichF
06-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Golf is boring to watch, too. That is, if you don't appreciate the details.

I have seen hot-shot 3D flyers show up on practice day at a contest and not show up again for the actual contest. They underestimated the different skill set and machine setup required.

Frankly, there's nothing superhuman about it. If you show up, fly...and you will learn some things and have fun, guaranteed. Trust me, you won't be the only one all over the hovering box or the sky. We all have fun and if we get wood at the end, that's just gravy. I learn so much with each contest I attend. The again, some people won't go to a contest unless they *know* they can win. That's a bunch of bologna.

One of the most fun things you can do at a contest, is get a bunch of buddies together who all basically fly the same, enter a contest together in the same class, and see how you all do against eachother. Don't worry about the other guys in the class that have been doing it for awhile...just have fun among your peers. It can turn into quite a close race and really fun for the whole gang. This is what happened when a bunch of T-Rex guys went to Chattanooga Contest earlier this year. They all entered class I and had a blast with eachother.

Like anything, it's what you make it.

Erich

WillJames
06-06-2006, 05:21 PM

Just like Life..

I am ready to get some people together and come learn and try to participate at an event soon. Is a 6 minute flight duration long enough to fly? (my Ion?)

ErichF
06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
6 minutes may cut you close, as in make you rush. You can surely do Class I in six minutes with practice. Also, in practice, you typically fly one or two of the manuevers over and over to get it perfect as you can.

I would bet you can get a lot more than 6 minutes out of your Ion doing these manuevers...they aren't very power hungry.

Erich

Kinger
06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I would think that during the hovering portion with a much lower headspeed than what you normally run for 3D flying you'll easily be able to make time Will.

WayneBrown
06-06-2006, 07:58 PM

I am ready to get some people together and come learn and try to participate at an event soon.
I'll take some of that!
Whenever you are ready to go, lemme know.

ErichF
06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Next contest in a couple weeks:

http://caseco-inc.com/chopper/

I'll be at that one.

After the Nats, there's one in Montvale, VA in Sept 9-10 and another possibly in Grand Prairie, TX in Oct 7-8.

Other than these listed and the Nats, that's all there is scheduled.

Matt Lowdermilk
06-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow, that wind was howling too!!!

Gary O
06-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I've been working on it, I'm wanting to lay out the box at my home so I can really get some quality practice in on it.

Laurens
06-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Before I download: whats the difference between A and B?

ErichF
06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Download the ZIP file from FAI.Org at the bottom of the first post.

Erich

Tomas Ahl
06-08-2006, 05:29 AM
Thanks Erich, much appreciated!

Gixxer
06-08-2006, 07:05 AM
That was awesome.... The high maneuvers were excellent!!! :wink:

There should me more of these vid posted. It might inspire the FAI flying style more.... I like it!

Thanks for the post Erich

WillJames
06-08-2006, 07:12 AM
I really like the vids as well Steve! Thank you Erich. I tell you one thing, it sure looks HARD. We need to get together with Erich and all the contest guys and try to grow the contest discipline and try to fly precision ourselves. I'm game, I'm sure it won't be pretty, but I would try it.

ErichF
06-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys! I enjoyed sharing them, and will have more to come from future contests.

The maneuvers themselves aren't really hard, it's the positioning and repeatability that makes them hard. A good setup on your heli goes a LONG way, and if you want to learn about heli aerodynamics and rotor dynamics, this discipline has lots to teach. I have learned so much in the past year. The people involved are down to earth, open, and fun...all the way up to the top pilots in the world.

The pretty part comes with practice and a little tweaking on your setup. Even if your just flying a Raptor 50 or Evo 50...dedicate one machine to a precision aerobatics setup. When the machine does half the work for you, it gets a lot more "funner" :D Not to mention a sense of pride in your workmanship when you realize that your tweaking and tinkering are really making a difference in the performance of your machine, and making you look better!

One of these days, I'd like to take the steps and procedures that Gordie and Wayne have laid out on various forums, and put it all together in a Power Point presentation with pics and videos. Some of the stuff can be confusing to those not familiar with some of the details about Delta and balance. It still confuses the heck outta me sometimes! :arggg:

Anyways, glad some of you guys enjoy the vids and look forward to seeing more of you over at the "lepper colony" at the next funfly. Or heck, even the next contest!

Erich

Laurens
06-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Too bad the limits restrict electric to 10s.

WillJames
06-08-2006, 09:02 AM
I wish Gordie and Wayne would lay out their stuff in the Contest Flying Forum here.

Looking forward to seeing the PDF.

Gixxer
06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
The PDF supplied in the original post was very informative w/ Diagrams and everything.

Ill be trying some of these moves at the field this weekend! Its gonna be ugly! :lol:

ErichF
06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Now, F3C/FAI is considered the TOP class. If you're just starting this stuff, try the AMA classes 1, 2, or 3 first.

Those are detailed at:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/0506Rulebook/rc-heli.pdf

Class I is all tail-in hovering. Class II is great to start with if you're good at FFF and side in hovering. Class III throws in a roll and auto, plus some nose in hovering.

Erich

Tom Fiddler
06-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Very nice

Heli_Addict
06-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Great work Erich, I liked the music as well. :D

fitenfyr
06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Nice....
Now if we could just get some contests out here on the west coast.

Gives me fuel for some new training. :D