View Full Version : Maxi Joker 3 (Torque Tube & Flybarless ready) !! WOT

Pages : [1] 2

R-4-L
03-17-2009, 02:35 AM
http://www.minicopter.de/en/index.html

Now has torque tube drive option !

Features

-Extremely stable and rigid chassis
- Integrated host of Flybarless electronics in a well protected chassis.
- Compartments for components above the flight battery as well as optimum antenna position.
- Integrated battery slot for up to 12s/5000 mAh Battery
- Engine mount acts as a cooling plate for the ESC, a small buffer battery can be mounted above the esc.
- Additional freewheel clutch between main-and tailrotor, an easy to mount and remove torque tube drive
- Easily removable tail boom for transportation and maintenance purposes
- Precision scissor linkage on the tail rotor featuring 9 (!) bearings
- Precision swashplate with double ball raced swash holder and swash drive with 8 bearings.
- Direct CCPM linkages to the swashplate without the old push-pull linkages.
- Robust flybarless rotor damping with different hardnesses.

Mount Makers ! Hurry and get one to make yours compatible ;)

R-4-L
03-17-2009, 02:43 AM
hmm , I've been reading, it seems flybarless is compulsory here !

PhotoShip One
03-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Mount Makers ! Hurry and get one to make yours compatible ;)Already in progress. It's happening at PhotoShip One :thumbup:

the MJ2 mount is finished awaiting test flight data. MJ3 is not far behind.

rerazor
03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
hmm , I've been reading, it seems flybarless is compulsory here !

Flybar head is available as an option.

R-4-L
03-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm so glad I didn't hit the Order button on an MJ2 before finding out about 3.

so one to opt for a flybarless option, stabilization would require the HC Rigid? don't think the 3A version works with a separate flybarless control unit like vbar right?

rerazor
03-17-2009, 01:56 PM
HC rigid is for flybarless. HC3A for Flybar and won't work with V-bar.

R-4-L
03-17-2009, 05:23 PM
thankyou Robert

merlin703
03-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Could someone help? I don't quite understand the exact differences between the Joker3, MaxiJoker3 and the Joker3DD. That might be because I have never paid attention to this heli before so I don't have the previous knowledge.

Which one is the newest one? Based on the advertisement, the Joker3 is newer technology than the Joker 3DD, right?

Can the Joker3 easily become a MaxiJoker3 or a Joker 3dd or it's the other way around? What are the phisical differences between these birds? I now know the Maxi Joker in general is made to carry lots of weight so there has to be other differences other than just a longer boom and bigger blades, correct?

Also, who is selling this bird in the US?

merlin703
03-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, FYI, I got some answers to my questions from Minicopter that I would like to share:

"A Joker 3 and a Joker 3DD are from the central unit completely different machines, no conversion possible. But if you will try in future a dualdrive on your Joker 3 there will be a conversion set available. From Joker 3DD to Joker 3 there is no way, only perjhaps to purchase the Joker 3 fuselage mechanic (but this makes no real sense).

Joker and Maxi-Joker are very similar exept the pinion and the specific tail parts. The Maxi has a thicker torque tube and has onbe ball bearing more in the boom. Alternatively you can get a battery tray similar to the Maxi-Joker2 that is 15 mm higher, good f.e. for A123 packs".

Griffo
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Is anyone flying the Maxi Joker 3 for AP? If so I'd love to see some pics!

I've been considering a Maxi for a while now and I think the MJ-3 might just tip me over the edge. I love that flybarless head!

windmania
04-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Joker 3's now available and in stock at www.minicopter-usa.com

merlin703
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I was going to buy the Joker3 as soon as it was available but I just purchased a NICE computer that will be arriving in the next few days. This is setting me back a little bit so I will have to be responsible and wait until the beginning of May.

So is minicopter-usa officially the vendor for the Joker line or is it still being decided by Gerd who else will be carrying the product? Not that I want to purchase it from another vendor but I'm just curious since joker-usa still doesn't know they won't be getting any :YeaBaby:
Also, the Xera 4035/3y400 (http://www.xeramotors.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=9&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1) and Xera 4035/4y should be available in the next few weeks, correct?

levelflight
04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Joker 3's now available and in stock at www.minicopter-usa.com

Is there going to be a direct powered tail option for the J3?

windmania
04-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Quote:
"Is there going to be a direct powered tail option for the J3?"

The Joker 3DD has the powered tail.

rerazor
04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I keep thinking the Direct Drive conversion might be the ticket for AP. I know Tabb is using it with success. Yes, it puts move weight on the tail and will make getting CG a little tricky for underslung mounts (front mounts it will be beneficial).

I just think for traveling it will great. Just pull the tail boom and be done with it. :)

Look forward to the new USA Joker dealer www.minicopter-usa.com

Rael is a great guy to deal with. :)

CNCAddict
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Also, the Xera 4035/3y400 (http://www.xeramotors.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=9&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1) and Xera 4035/4y should be available in the next few weeks, correct?

I'm expected to receive some of these motors next week :)

merlin703
05-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Sorry but who is "I"?

jrohland
05-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Freaks and others, I have been building a MJ3 (shaft drive) for several weeks now. Yes, I said weeks. It maidened a week ago today for under 1 minute until the main gear melted.

While I like the overall design, there have been some manufacturing issues with mine. It seams Minicopter has the problems worked out. I am waiting for new, smaller main and tail drive gears to arrive. They should solve the last of the problems.

Here is a synopsis of the issues:

Anti-rotation bracket mounting holes not drilled. I fixed.

Four of the five tail boom mounting block screw holes not drilled on each frame side. I fixed.

Either the first-stage and tail drive shaft bearing block mounting screw holes drilled in the wrong place or, the main and tail drive gears are too large. Minicopter decided to make the gears smaller rather than change the frames.

The other problem I encountered was the motor mounting plate was wrong for my Kontronic Pyro motor. I could have fixed that but the pulley shaft size is 8MM and my Pyro has a 6MM shaft. They needed to send me a sleeve for this so I had to wait anyway. Minicopter sent me the new motor mounting plate and pulley sleeve.

In the mean time Minicopter informed me the Pyro, 12s LiPo and 800MM main blades is not a supported combination. I had several options:

Change the motor (Revolution Models and Minicopter suggested I do that). I don't plan to do that.

Go to 700MM blades. This heli is to be a heavy lifter for HD video and FPV gear. I want the long blades.

Go to 10s power. This is acceptable to me but, I already have 6s packs. I have started building an inventory of 5s packs. I spoke with Minicopter about running 11s (5s+6s). They are sending me a 13 tooth motor pulley which will allow 11s, Pyro and 800MM blades. This works for me.

The heli is tail heavy right now. This is partly because I am running seperate battery packs. I can't move the entire battery weight fully forward in the battery bay.

Since I plan to run a nose mounted camera, the tail heavness should be an advantage when the video gear is mounted. In the meantime I will probably just use ballast.

jrohland
05-17-2009, 09:12 AM
I should have said this. Revolution Models did send me a replacement upper frame to correct the missing holes. I received the frame and checked my holes against the corrected frame they sent. Since my fix is extremely close to the factory build, I just decided to leave my fixed frame in use. I will keep the other as a spare, I hope to never need.

Both Minicopter and Revolution have been helpful and responsive to my issues. The only real problem has been how long it takes to get stuff sent from Europe.

Flightlutions
05-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Freaks and others, I have been building a MJ3 (shaft drive) for several weeks now. Yes, I said weeks. It maidened a week ago today for under 1 minute until the main gear melted.
While I like the overall design, there have been some manufacturing issues with mine. It seams Minicopter has the problems worked out. I am waiting for new, smaller main and tail drive gears to arrive. They should solve the last of the problems.
Either the first-stage and tail drive shaft bearing block mounting screw holes drilled in the wrong place or, the main and tail drive gears are too large. Minicopter decided to make the gears smaller rather than change the frames.

You mentioned that minicopter decided to make the gears smaller. Do you know if this is something that they would have to do for the entire line of MJ3 or was this a solution to resolve a one off issue?

I was ready to buy the MJ3 today but I'm am holding off until I get some clarification on this issue.

AJ

jrohland
05-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I actually went through the parts list for all the Joker models. Only the Joker 3 and Maxi Joker 3 shaft and belt drive (not the 3DD) use that gear set. None of the earlier models use those gears.

I would not hold up your purchase at this point. They are already producing the new (smaller) gears. Any new kit purchased now will have the correct gears. Revolution Models does not inventory these models (so they told me). If you get one from them, it comes from Minicopter after you place the order and, I'm confident it would have the correct gears and frames.

I don't know if Joker-USA holds inventory. You would have to ask them. If they do, make them get you the corrected gears and check the frames before they ship it.

It is a great design and I'm sure I will love it. They just had a few little manufacturing issues to work out.

I should have the new gears in the post when I get home from work today. I plan to use the MJ3 in the advanced heli training I am doing this Friday to Sunday. It should be fun to learn autos on that thing.

merlin703
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
joker-usa will not be carrying minicopters soon. They certainly don't have the later model (3 version). I believe they are just getting rid of their stuff. Minicopter-usa is the new US dealer. Rael is the owner and is also a freak here doing the AP stuff as well. I'm interested on a Joker 3 and it appears I will be ready to pull the trigger as soon as it's ready here in the US. According to Rael (minicopter-usa) and Gerd, it should be available here in about 2 weeks. Gerd has also recommended to buy from minicopter-usa since Rael will be very meticulous with the kit. The Maxi-Joker 3 is avilable at minicopter-usa but not the Joker3, sadly.

Flightlutions
05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, considering Rael had no idea about the new gears when I called him, I think I am going to hold out until this issue is fully addressed by minicopter.

Rael did know about the melting gear issue and suggested that if I have this issue with my kit I should file down the main gear. :shock:
You would think the only US Dealer would know about these new gears.

AJ

windmania
05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I need clarify the main gear. With any helicopter the gear mesh needs to be correct. With the Joker 3 the tolerance is very small for adjusting. If the mesh is too tight, you can file the bolt hole slightly to adjust the mesh, NOT the gear. I hope this clarifies this matter.

jrohland
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
You can file the holes in the frames for the first-stage drive shaft bearing blocks and tail drive bearing blocks by 0.2 mm or, get the new smaller main and tail drive gears.

I would NOT file the pinion.

I am waiting for the new gears as I did not want to adulterate the frames.