PDA

View Full Version : From DX6i to DX7

WyDiablo
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Will the settings that I have now in my DX6i for the T-Rex 450SE work/or be the same in my new DX7?

Thanks
WyDiablo

dbald1
03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I just got a DX7 this weekend and found it easier to take the head off the bird and go thru the swash setup again. There are some things that come out different like subtrim.

Bob O
03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
diablo,

The settings might transfer over just fine. Wouldn't hurt to try it. If everything looks level, moves in the proper direction, and your pitch ranges check out, I'd call it good. But if you have any doubts, do like bald1 said and go through the set-up from scratch.

Slyster
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
They do NOT transfer at all. I tried. And swash was messed up etc etc. Had to do the complete setup over again.. but worth it! I love the DX7!

markleyland
03-24-2009, 12:14 PM
+1 You will have to start form scratch, one way to get to know your new TX!

WyDiablo
03-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks I was thinging that I might have to start from scratch again

WyDiablo

pwoodyp
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Would not the pitch and throttle curves convert over quite accurately.. then what else is there the GYRO... gain would need to adjusted but that would be so even between same model numbers.

Slyster
03-24-2009, 01:04 PM
yep.. they do just fine on any radio. But swash mixes don't.. some - I had to make +... and gyro and expo values don't have the same value etc. Travel adjusts are different too etc etc

pwoodyp
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Well it does disprove everyone with their blanket statements .... hehe the devil is in the details ya.

WyDiablo
03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I just hope that when my 4 new batteries get here that the DX7 will not be a nightmare to progam and get the bird into the air. I have not even started reading the manual at all, so I think it will turn out ok. I"m just not quite sure about the binding process that they show in the manual. The way they have it drawing in the example is very confusing to me to say the least. I have never used and extra battery to binding a TX to an Rx before. So I hope that things go well, if not I'll have several question lol.

WyDiblo

pwoodyp
03-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I"m just not quite sure about the binding process that they show in the manual. The way they have it drawing in the example is very confusing to me to say the least. I have never used and extra battery to binding a TX to an Rx before.
That binding procedure is for planks, you don't need nor need to use the battery pack and switch harness.. just need the binding plug and plug into any open pinouts on the Rx, probably the battery pinouts, well assuming you are setting up using your LIPO and the BEC.... either or you don't need to set the binding up like in the manual.. odds or you didn't even get the battery pack and switch harness in the helicopter package. Bah, maybe you did then sure you can use both methods then but for simple binding you just need the binding plug and LIPO/BEC plugged into any open pinouts on the Rx ;)

Slyster
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Well it does disprove everyone with their blanket statements .... hehe the devil is in the details ya.well.. naturally since pitch and throttle curves are not "setting up the head/heli" most wouldn't include those.

pwoodyp
03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
well.. naturally since pitch and throttle curves are not "setting up the head/heli" most wouldn't include those.
Semantics and not a big deal, your right of course :thumbup:

dmalovic
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Dx6i is actually easier to program. I hate you need to power off the DX7 to get into the setup menu - how lame :).

In my conversion the following things were different
1. Subtrims (which means you need to take the head off and setup swash again)
2. Travel adjusts for swash up down position
3. Some servo reversing
4. Some swash direction (+/-) and values

I used the monitor screen on DX6i and DX7 and did the swash and reversing so that all the channels move in the right direction, so I setup the new Tx from take one, as far as the head movement is concerned.

One note, DX7 also has a worse way to handle gyro sense. There is no way to assign gyro rate to the gear switch, EVEN though you use the gear channel for sensing?! So the best way is just to use travel adjustments for those. Again, use the monitor and reverse the channel that you are in rate mode whan the switch is down! true gain = endpoint/1.44, remember. A good start is 42 let's say!

Slyster
03-24-2009, 07:53 PM
You can NOT (as far I've found) use the gear switch to go from rate to heading hold.. I ended up making my throttle hold switch ON switch rate mode on. Fine by me since I don't ever fly in rate mode.... but it's odd you can't use the gear switch for pretty much anything.

Still loving the DX7 anyway!

Bob O
03-24-2009, 09:28 PM
What?

If you set GEAR to GEAR, and with the gyro signal wire in the receiver's Gear Channel, can you not use the Gear switch (via endpoints) to flip between gyro rates? A negative value should give you rate mode and a positive value should give you heading hold mode.