PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question?

KillerKanopies
03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Is is me or is the Vibe 50's clutch really tight. I have to hold on tight when starting because it wants to go. Even at a really low idle it's grabbing. Makes it tricky to handle. I've got over 20 flights on it and there's no sign of wearing in. Do I need a new clutch?

onequick96gt
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
The clutch on my Vibe 50 does seem to engage at a little lower rpm then most other brand 50's I have been around. Nothing wrong with mine after 62 flights though.

Helico-pteron
03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Mine too, lower your idle.

KillerKanopies
03-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Much lower and it won't run. I'll just deal with it.

Thanks for the reply fellas.

Helico-pteron
03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Lean out the idle mixture a tad

fiveoboy01
03-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Mine's pretty free. I dont' need to get a firm grip on the head at all or anything.

Make sure your clutch-to-liner gap is even all the way around the circumference of the clutch.

OverTemp
03-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Mine a lot better since I got the motor broken in and tuned in right. It also seems to do a lot better on warmer days.

rubbersoul
03-26-2009, 02:31 AM
mine got fixed after a hot start :shock:

KillerKanopies
03-26-2009, 06:09 AM
I tried one of those too. No luck either. :)

cheech91060
03-26-2009, 06:21 AM
First start of the day mine usually seems tight, then it loosens up. But I think its just because the idle runs a little higher until it warms up.

rubbersoul
05-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Where can you get a clutch liner for the Vibe 50? Any replacements? I hate to collect bells :).

My clutch did not engage today. Killed the engine, restarted and it engaged. Pulled the engine and looks like the gap between the clutch and the liner is too wide already and liner materiall is all over the fan.

richardshakan
05-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Where can you get a clutch liner for the Vibe 50? Any replacements? I hate to collect bells :).

My clutch did not engage today. Killed the engine, restarted and it engaged. Pulled the engine and looks like the gap between the clutch and the liner is too wide already and liner materiall is all over the fan.
It probably was running backwards. I have witnessed it twice in the last 2 visits to my clubs field. I can see it being worn-out if you have 100 gals through it.

rubbersoul
05-31-2009, 12:00 AM
It probably was running backwards. I have witnessed it twice in the last 2 visits to my clubs field. I can see it being worn-out if you have 100 gals through it.
forgot about that happening..

but, carrying it to the take-off point I felt the clutch engage as usual and felt and observed the blades going in the correct direction. Spooling up slowly the engine started to quit and I dropped the throttle. Second attempt is when I noticed that the clutch was not engaging. Killed the engine, visual check, then restarted and everything was normal. Hovered for about a minute but decided not to fly it.

richardshakan
05-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, with all the work and money into it, i would do an inspection to see what is going on.
Maybe the main nut isn't tight enough on the motor shaft?:confused:
Maybe the liner material is defective or has spun?

rubbersoul
05-31-2009, 12:55 PM
I found the JR liner but also ordered the align liner for the 700. Will experiment with my two bells and see which one will last longer.

nargargle
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
I had the same problem awhile back. I went to spool up and the cluch wasn't grabbing properly. I pulled the engine and cleaned the cluch liner and shoes with alcohol. It solved the problem for me. Might be worth looking into. Best of luck.

rubbersoul
06-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I had the same problem awhile back. I went to spool up and the cluch wasn't grabbing properly. I pulled the engine and cleaned the cluch liner and shoes with alcohol. It solved the problem for me. Might be worth looking into. Best of luck.
Will definitely look into doing this before stripping my liner.

I'll wait for the new liner to arrive and compare thickness and decide if it is time to replace it or just clean as you suggested.

Thanks.