PDA

View Full Version : Lepton Build Videos Are Here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Finless
05-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Yes it is used for mostly plankers but no reason you can try it and see if you can mix out the interaction. How much are you getting?
Again i have seen funcky 85's do this before... I had to return one becasue it was slower than the other 2 and was acting sticky.

Bob

venturebrowser
05-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Has anyone tried tail blades any bigger than 68mm? Like maybe 72 or 75? I'm reading that even with the 68's, there are still some tail issues.

venturebrowser
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Has anyone tried tail blades any bigger than 68mm? Like maybe 72 or 75? I'm reading that even with the 68's, there are still some tail issues.

sorry Bob, didn't realize you had already replied to my other question.

I'm getting maybe 1 degree - and + with elevator front to back. I'll try to mix it out and see what happens. I don't like the idea of using that as I don't think it's the "correct" route to go. But if it works..great.

Barnabas
05-09-2007, 04:43 AM
Hi Bob,

Is it possible to give me your exact measurements of the rod lengths (in millimeter, tip to tip, since center to center is more difficult for the T-lever to swash, swash to mixing lever, and mixing lever to pitch arm).

Thank you heaps,

BB.

Tuomas-88
05-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Nice videos Bob!!! You have done a great work with these :D

metalhead1986
06-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Hi Bob,

Which Futaba servo wheels did you use for this build? I noticed Tower Hobbies has two or three different ones. Or, if you have something that works better, that would be great too.

Thanks for the videos too. They will be a great help when I build whichever heli I decide to build. I need to stop watching them though. I keep wanting more and more bird, :D

Thanks again for all you do for us here.

Steve

Finless
06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
What servos are you using? If Hitec I reccomend NOT using the Futaba servo wheels. In my video I did but I did a little trick to them to get them to not slip on the Hitec splines. Later I got the proper hitec wheels that gave me the proper ball spacing.

Bob

metalhead1986
06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the reply Bob.

I am planning on the Hitec servos for now and upgrading the the Airtronics you recommend as my skills increase. I took note of your comment about the Futaba wheels not fitting perfectly, which is why I asked about the wheels. Now for the follow up question you must have know was coming. Which Hitec wheels give the proper spacing? Looking online, pretty much no one gives any information on hole spacing. Or did you end up drilling your own holes?

One other quick question if I may. Which tail rotor blased did you end up using? I have had a difficult time finding any 68mm blades in stock anywhere.

As always, thanks for the advice.

Steve

Finless
06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Yes I used the Hitec heavy duty wheels and drilled my own holes. I dont know the part number though sorry... i had the wheels on hand.

You can get the 68mm CF blades from readyheli.com and i hear helidirect.com has them to.

Bob

Finless
06-05-2007, 01:22 PM
The Hitec RED X arms also have holes with the right spacing FYI.

Bob

metalhead1986
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks again Bob.

Once again, you are the man.

Steve

Razmo
08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
This is awesome! Can't wait to get to my Lepton build! Seems like I never have the time

Raz

Two Left Thumbs
08-12-2007, 09:06 PM
First, I have to say, Bob you are the MAN. Thank you so much, especially the Trex and Lepton videos.

I have a new Lepton with a Hyperion Z3025-08, and a Hyperion 80A 4A Cool SBEC ESC. Tx is JR 9303. My question is about the soft start, it is not soft at all. Governor mode is not enabled.

I have been searching, and found your post here which sounds like my situation:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=32707&highlight=switching+frequency

"If your throttle hold is set to something different than the REAL low stick position value (many radios do this e.g. JR sarts with a minus value and Futaba has alike a 5% value set for hold) and you have HOLD on when you power up, the Align ESC sees that as low stick. If your throttle is LOW and you then switch out of hold it sees that as "some" throttle or maybe even a LOWER throttle value now, and even though it might not spool up it may start the ESC soft start timer. By the time you do actually spool up it's already timed out."

...So, now to the question, how do I determine the REAL low stick position value???

My startup process is to turn on the Tx in NORMAL mode, then flip to HOLD. Then I connect the flight pack, and last I turn on the BEC switch. Then I get ready to fly, and flip from HOLD to NORMAL. When I increase the throttle, it kicks hard, no matter how gently I ease the stick.

Hold Position is set to 0.0% in the Tx.

Low stick in Normal mode is set to 0.0%.

Thank you!

Two Left Thumbs
08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
On a Hyperion Z3025-08, with a Hyperion 80A 4A Cool SBEC ESC, how do I set the Switching Frequency and Timing Mode in the ESC?

My options are:

Switching Frequency:
8kHz (default) or 16kHz

Timing Modes:
Auto (Default)/ 7 degrees, 30 degrees

Since motor and ESC are from the same company, I figured I could look this up, but I cannot find any information.

My motor and ESC are running pretty hot, and I thought these settings might help.

Thanks for the help.

Finless
08-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Honestly I have never used this ESC so I would post these questions in the Lepton or even other forums discussing ESC and electronics.

Bob

Two Left Thumbs
08-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks Bob. I am coming to realize there is not much information on these. Oh well, live and learn.

I have a Lepton 3s setup and am not getting the kind of performance you showed in your 3s video. Climb out is leisurely. Just not sure where to look, batteries, ESC, motor, belt tension, curves, etc.

Not much traffic on the Lepton board, I'll look for a more general electrics forum.

Finless
08-12-2007, 10:36 PM
WHat pinion did you use? Also what packs?

It may be motor timing or something but 3S should be pretty fare.

Bob

Two Left Thumbs
08-12-2007, 10:48 PM
26T, and 3s2p using my Trex TP2100 packs. Throttle and pitch curves are straight from the Lepton manual, and I set mechanical pitch after watching your videos.

I am putting 1200mAh back into each pack after a 5 minute flight. I take off in Normal mode, hover, then switch to Idle1. Very gentle flying.

Finless
08-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Hmm 1200 back in 5 minutes seems your not getting the full power out of your system. Sorry I cant help with the esc....

Bob

Two Left Thumbs
08-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Sorry that is 2400 total, I have two packs in parrallel. So 2400 in 5 minutes. Does that sound in line with expectations?

So what ESC do you like these days?

Two Left Thumbs
08-13-2007, 12:18 PM
A bit more info, I ran a test with a Watt's Up, and did 3 max stick climbouts from hover.

In normal mode I pulled 391 Watts Peak, and 35 Amps Peak.

In St-1 those figures were 586 Watts Peak, 54 Amps Peak.

drav8r
08-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I am having the same concern. I am running 3s using two 2100 tp packs, 10 turn motor, and a hoveirng head speed of about 2150. I had read an article in one of the Bristish magazines of using the 24 t pinion instead of the 26 t which I am currently running. Is this a good idea?

Two Left Thumbs
08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey, finally some else with a similar setup! Thanks for posting drav8r.

I am also using two 2100 TP packs, but run the Hyperion 8 turn motor and 26T pinion.

Unfortunately I do not have a tach, need to pick one up (and someone to operate it!)

Sigma Golem
01-16-2010, 04:48 PM
When wrenching on my Sexy Lepton, I like to use FinlessBob's Vids as a tool. But for some reason, the Lepton Videos are not working, Have they been deleted or somthing?

It looks like all the vids are gone?

Finless
01-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I just double checked the links and they are working for me?

What problem are you having when you click the link?

Bob