PDA

View Full Version : what type of airplane to buy ?

panhead182
05-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey Guys,
My 8 yr old son is ready for his first plane,he has been on the Sim for the last six months. He likes my heli's but wants a plane. Does any of you have any suggestion as to what I should get him. I think we want to go electric ,just to keep it easy for him for now.
Thanks for helping out a Jr, noob
Dan

Bob O
05-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Is he going to be on a buddy box with you? If so, I'd say go with the E-Flight Apprentice.

If not, a decent first plane that is pretty durable is the Hobby Zone Super Cub. Rudder and Elevator only, but flies very well as long as it's not too windy. Ailerons can be cut into the wing, which will make it a much better flying plane. Most minor crashes can be repaired with glue. And major crashes only result in the replacement of the components involved, not the whole plane. My LHS carries all the parts, it is a very popular beginner plane.

Good luck!!

BigStatiK
05-04-2009, 12:37 AM
why dont they sell a BNF apprentice for someone like me who already has a DX7?
:)

1320fastback
05-04-2009, 02:38 AM
+1 to everything BobO said. I have a HZSC that is fully modded and also flew it stock for awhile. Other than the cheap A _ _ TX it is probably the best first plane you can get. A close second would be an Easystar.

George1234
05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
I second the EasyStar. Very gentle stock, but can be converted to an 80mph hotrod with a good 2700kv brushless motor, and 40 amp ESC.

George

whirlybird 1
05-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Park Zone T-28 has my vote. I have one and almost all the members in my club have one or have flown one, with NO negitive comments.
Mike

BigStatiK
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Park Zone T-28 has my vote. I have one and almost all the members in my club have one or have flown one, with NO negitive comments.
Mike

good for 1st plane? easy repairs? easy to land (thats where I suffer the most in the sim, but getting there)

and is there a model for RF G4.5 of it? :)
edit: found the RF model http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=8887

whirlybird 1
05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Good 1st aileron trainer.
Easy to fix (foam wings and body).
Slow flight and easy to land.
Good 2nd plane.
Cant compare it with much, as I am a new plank flyer, except a Slow stick.which is easier to fly.