Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lost Tailpower - broken setsrews in tailgear

Yesterday I lost Tail power – because the small setscrew that tighten the “Front tail rotor gear”(0427-1) to the shaft, did brake.
The end of the set screw is gone, so that the gear can turn on the shaft.
The setscrews is secured with Loctite 243……..
This is the second time I’ve got this failure :-(
Now I have made two flate areas for the both setscrews…….maybe this will help…..

Have any others have this failure with the setsvrews on in the gears????
Knud Pedersen DENMARK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=MA0800-7

The input shaft already has a flat on it. Grinding another flat is not going to gain anything. The set screws must be loosening for some reason.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

With continuums problem like yours I will ask any fury owner in you gang to check this out. I have notes that over years I did develop bad habits working on my helis.
misio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Knud,
Just reread the first post again. Here is a quote from it.

Quote:
The end of the set screw is gone, so that the gear can turn on the shaft.
Just curious. But do you happen to be using the dog earred set screws to hold the gears in place. This would be the set screw that has a blunt tip on it that is smaller diameter than the set screw and protrudes approx. 2mm.

I don't see how the tip could break off a set screw that is flat or blunt on the end.
If your using the dog earred set screws. They should only be used to hold the tail rotor hub on the output shaft. You should only use blunt tipped set screws to hold the gears to the shafts.

David
Old 07-13-2006, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I took apart the “tail gear box” yesterday.
It was the Gear on the “tail rotor shaft” that did fail.
The screw was not tight anymore (it was glued with loctite 243)
The screws that was in the gear was not the “dog earred set screws” – but some steel screws with Flat ends.

I the change the Tail rotor shaft (because of slop between the shaft and the Tail hub), I noticed that this new Tail shaft did have a “Bigger” flat area than the old shaft…….

I have now assembled the gearbox again – but secured the screws with Loctite 273…..

Maybe this will hold.

Quote:
David H: “A blunt tipped set screws”
Is that a totally flat ended screw or has it small notch on the end?

Quote:
misio: With continuums problem like yours,,,,,
mmhhh - maybe the problem is not that big. The Fury has flown +700 flights, and I had have this problem (last time it was the other gear) two time........

ChopperKnud
Knud Pedersen DENMARK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The gears you are running are very well tested, and while it is possible you may have had a set screw break, I have never heard of that. Did you properly clean the set screw before you loctited it? And did you tighten it properly? Too much torque and I have seen them break, (but you would have known that) and not enough and it will come loose.

I have run those gears for no kidding hundreds of gallons and never had one just come loose or break in flight.

Another thought, and I do this a lot since I have caught problems, is part of your pre-flight every day should be to grab the tail rotor and the main blades and give the tail rotor a twist to see how much play there is. You will get a feel for what is right after a few times, then if it suddenly loosens up you might detect it during your pre-flight.

Good Luck!

Wayne
Wayne is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

He says one set screw. What happened to having two on there? Gear is drilled and taped for two. Instructions show two.
Laddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2006, 04:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wayne; I think that I might had “fumled” a little with the grease, so that the thread might not have being clean enough……
I tighten them as much as I dare….without breaking the hexagon….

Don’t you use both screws in the gear?

I also do this precheck of the heli before every flight.
One of the check is to hold the front tailgear, and then turn the tailrotor to see if every thing is OK….but there is a lot of free play between the torque and the two Delrin-transmission-shaft, therefore I might have overlooked that the gear was loose…….

PS: I use setscrews that are totally flat on the end – is that correct?

ChopperKnud
Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yes you should use two set screws in each gear.

The set screws should have a flat or cupped tip.

David
Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The set screws are flat on the end. The gears have two set screws in them, but frankly one will work fine if it is loctited in right and is torqued right, as long as it is on the flat part of the shaft.

good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.

Wayne
Wayne is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in