PDA

View Full Version : Couple more questions

jshultz78
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
I've got a couple more questions for you guys. After my little incident with the "new revised for beginners" settings that horizon hobby had, (heli would lift off at about 80-85% or so throttle) I went back to the oem settings, it lifts off alot easier, but the right stick is too sensitive for me right now, I barely touch it and it shoots off one direction and I have to wrangle it back to where I was. Which settings do I need to change on the dx6i to tone down the right stick, Leaving the throttle and yaw alone? Also, What's the lowest I can set my throttle settings to before it starts hurting the esc? I want to lower the headspeed as much as I can while I'm still learning.
After I tore it down, lubed everything, and got the right tension in the belt, the boom still gets warm, but not near as warm as it did before, it's where I can live with it, But the battery gets very warm, almost hot just hovering. Even with the canopy off it gets very warm, is that going to be normal? Does it take more power to hover than FF?

blindpilot
06-17-2009, 12:14 AM
the battery is going to get a lil hot but you should still be able to hold it yes it takes more power to hover than ff so its gonna heat up and I woukd not drop the head speed till I could hover good the tail dosent hold as good but if you do wanna drop it do it in the pitch curve posion 3 and 4 drop it about 8 points or set it at +3 at mid stick hope this helps

fast400
06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
the horizon settings are ment to burn up your esc and motor, this is how they make their money.
add expo to the aile, elev, and rudd channels. say 20% this will deaden the center most point of the sticks.
throttle curves, 0, 45, 65, 85, 100
pitch curves, 25, 45, 65, 85, 100
this will give your esc a better chance at a long healthy life.
you have done the 0 pitch at half throttle with the pitch curves set at 0,25,50,75,100.

mvert
06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm pretty new to be giving advice but I just had the same problem tonight. I set up my radio to the new settings also. I just backed down my pitch curve to Norm Pos L to 25% and Pos2 to 35% and it work tons better for me. I also backed down the throttle curve a little. from what I read I guess the higher head speed is better for stability, I backed it down and didn't really notice it being unstable. I'm not sure if my advice is the proper thing to do or not but it helped me allot tonight. good luck.

Wolfpackin
06-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Which settings do I need to change on the dx6i to tone down the right stick, Leaving the throttle and yaw alone?

Add some Expo, up to 30% or so, on AIL and ELE channels.
That will reduce the sensitivity of the sticks around the center point.
A little Expo on Rudd is OK too.

What's the lowest I can set my throttle settings to before it starts hurting the esc?
These motors and ESC's like to run around 80% throttle or higher, they will run coolest there and perform best.

I want to lower the headspeed as much as I can while I'm still learning.

No you don't.
Low headspeed makes the heli unstable and reduces tail authority, causing yaw, making the heli more difficult all around to fly.
High headspeed is more stable.
Don't be afraid it's good for you, trust me.

But the battery gets very warm, almost hot just hovering. Even with the canopy off it gets very warm, is that going to be normal? Does it take more power to hover than FF?

It does take more power to hover, no transitional lift from FF.
Also less air flow around the electronics.
I'm assuming the ambient temps in LA are relatively high.
What's "very warm" on the battery? 140 on the battery would be bad, 110 on the battery is not that bad.

1BADAIR
06-17-2009, 12:34 AM
yeah, keep the speed up.
the heli should hover at about 3/4 stick
also. lowering position L and 2 could actually cause you to drive the heli into the ground .
40 on the lowest would be about -2 which is all you need even in high wind
I would do 40, 45 50 75 100 for the curve
changing the top three ( 50 75 100) will hurt you in the long run when you start to fly in idle