PDA

View Full Version : Starter shaft getting stuck to clutch. Motor would not turn.

egiraldo911
07-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I was wondering if someone has had this problem before with the starter shaft. I recently put my first Nitro together, and after many hours of building and seting up, I was ready to start the engine. Everything was built to the specifications and to previous experience. In other words, everything was aligned correctly. However, when I cranked the starter I very soon realized something was wrong. The starter kicked back and came off the coupling. What happened?:dontknow Well, for some reason the motor would not turn. The whole thing got stuck. I was able to loosen it up again and try a couple more times. Nothing.:arggg: Same thing. It would turn just a bit and then get stuck again. Finally I decided to take the thing apart and found the shaft stuck solid inside the one way bearing of the clutch. I could not get it off. I checked the motor to see if it would turn and yes it did. It was easy to turn. Has anyone had this problem before? I would really appreciated any responses. Thanks.

N0FEAR
07-24-2009, 09:22 AM
I was wondering if someone has had this problem before with the starter shaft. I recently put my first Nitro together, and after many hours of building and seting up, I was ready to start the engine. Everything was built to the specifications and to previous experience. In other words, everything was aligned correctly. However, when I cranked the starter I very soon realized something was wrong. The starter kicked back and came off the coupling. What happened?:dontknow Well, for some reason the motor would not turn. The whole thing got stuck. I was able to loosen it up again and try a couple more times. Nothing.:arggg: Same thing. It would turn just a bit and then get stuck again. Finally I decided to take the thing apart and found the shaft stuck solid inside the one way bearing of the clutch. I could not get it off. I checked the motor to see if it would turn and yes it did. It was easy to turn. Has anyone had this problem before? I would really appreciated any responses. Thanks.
Did you lube the one way bearing before you assembled it.

egiraldo911
07-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I just put a couple drops of oil. But, still, it did not feel good from the beginning. It was hard to turn it even clockwise. It felt sticky, but, I checked the bearings and they are good. I checked the connection of the shaft and the clutch and it was good before I put it in the heli. I think I am going to try a new clutch and shaft. Thanks.

N0FEAR
07-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I just put a couple drops of oil. But, still, it did not feel good from the beginning. It was hard to turn it even clockwise. It felt sticky, but, I checked the bearings and they are good. I checked the connection of the shaft and the clutch and it was good before I put it in the heli. I think I am going to try a new clutch and shaft. Thanks.
Use grease on the one way bearings. It will lube better and last longer.
Save the oil for lubing the main and tail shafts.

chadjay
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
From the sound of it you might have hydro-locked the motor too? Just remove the glow plug to let out excess fuel. Or, turn the heli on its side with muffler down. I always leave the fuel line closed until just before I hit the start button.