PDA

View Full Version : Play in the swashplate?

ayash
07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Today I noticed what I think to be play in the swashplate. I noticed that (with the Heli powered) when I move the flybar cage with my hands it moves a bit while the swashplate is obviously not moving as the servos holds it. Seems like the top plate can move while the bottom one can't.

1. Should that really not move or is a little movment is by design?

2. If not ok, will buying a new swashplate solve it or does MSHeli swashplate have some play by design? I saw people refer to the Lepton swashplate as an option, is it recommended?

3. If I'm doing basic flying should this affect my flying experience or is it important only for Sport/3D and such?

EricW
07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
a little bit of play is pretty normal.
Your not only looking at the swash with that test, you also add play on the links from top to bottom...
As long as it is not jumping up and down in a hover, your Ok.
Mine has many many flights on it and is in perfect condition, just cleaned never oiled.

ayash
07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
a little bit of play is pretty normal.
Your not only looking at the swash with that test, you also add play on the links from top to bottom...
As long as it is not jumping up and down in a hover, your Ok.
Mine has many many flights on it and is in perfect condition, just cleaned never oiled.
What do you mean jumping up and down in a hover? Jumping without moving the pitch stick?

heliboy88
07-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Since we're talking about swashplate, i'm still building my Protos(and waiting for missing part) and haven't put everything on yet. The swashplate that came with my CF kit(bought 1 1/2 months ago from RH) has sharp edges, so i suppose it's the old design that used to have play due to the bad quality bearing? I've read(even a pic) that the new swashplate(with no slop?) has round edges, does that mean my kit from RH is still not new(production) enough to have the new swashplate?
Just hope my swashplate won't develope play(slop) too soon and won't cause me problems.

regards,

CatchmyCorsair
07-25-2009, 01:01 AM
I have an old swashplate. Shiny with "MSH" on it. No slop from what I can tell.

ayash
07-25-2009, 02:02 AM
I have a plastic kit from the early batches when they were sold with MSH ESC but before the new plastic parts (it included v2 tail, not v3).

From what's been posted in the forum I have the one old swash (sharp edges, MSH on both sides).

So is this a bad swashplate?

What is better with the new swashplate?

Chorge
07-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Not ALL old SPs are "bad"... There had been some probs with the accuracy of production (especially of the ball). Some SPs are still fine, some developed play, some had play from the beginning on. The new (rounded) SP has lower tolerances - but if the SP delivered with the kit is fine, there is no need for any exchange!
Anyhow: If you want a ZERO play SP, check out the Hirobo Lepton part! It's worth every Cent, if you go FBL...

ayash
07-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Not ALL old SPs are "bad"... There had been some probs with the accuracy of production (especially of the ball). Some SPs are still fine, some developed play, some had play from the beginning on. The new (rounded) SP has lower tolerances - but if the SP delivered with the kit is fine, there is no need for any exchange!
Anyhow: If you want a ZERO play SP, check out the Hirobo Lepton part! It's worth every Cent, if you go FBL...

Is it this part?

http://www.helidirect.com/precision-cnc-swashplate-hirobo-lepton-upgrade-p-2200.hdx

Or this one (twice the price)?

http://www.readyheli.com/0304_008_Swashplate_120_p/0304-008.htm

EricW
07-25-2009, 08:12 AM
What do you mean jumping up and down in a hover? Jumping without moving the pitch stick?
Yes obvious...
Every sudden deflection your properly setup heli makes without your input points to a mechanical or electrical problem.
If it flies fine, don't ever change it, fly the crap out of it :).

heliboy88
07-25-2009, 10:21 AM
If the hirobo swashplate is really that good i might get one whenever i discover play with my orig swashplate, but are the balls the same size of the msh ones? Or i just use the msh balls on the hirobo swash, do they fit well?
Thanks for sharing everyone.

regards,

Chorge
07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I went for the original (http://www.readyheli.com/0304_008_Swashplate_120_p/0304-008.htm) which works awesome... The MSH-Balls fit!
Throw in replacement! :thumbup:

heliboy88
07-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I went for the original (http://www.readyheli.com/0304_008_Swashplate_120_p/0304-008.htm) which works awesome... The MSH-Balls fit!
Throw in replacement! :thumbup:

That's great man, if ever my swash gone bad, hirobo lepton swashplate is the way to go;)
Thanks a lot for sharing.

regards,

jondabear
07-27-2009, 02:47 AM
normally with that much rotary force(i.e. 34-3800 rpm headspeed) you wont notice anything in the form of slop even if there is some. Sure if your just hovering around itll float a litlle up and down but what heli doesnt in this price range? I will only noramlly worry about my bearings and "slop" when its making sooooo much noise its actually grinding some poor moving part to a stop.I got a bunch a slop in my swash and it flies beautifully.
"curtis" showed me his "show machines" head and that thing gets flown hard everyday, and you would be amazed at the amount of slop he flies with.
I wouldnt be tooo worried about the small stuff for rt now...........just go fly.

Same swash.........200+ flights ..............still flyin! Peace!:YeaBaby: