PDA

View Full Version : throttle signal loss protection

Jacket60
07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Anybody know if the align esc (RCE-BL60G) that comes with the trex 500esp has throttle signal loss protection, and if so, in what form.

lex7919
07-25-2009, 06:40 PM
no im affraid it doesnt but dont ask how i know this :P

Jacket60
07-25-2009, 10:18 PM
no im affraid it doesnt but dont ask how i know this :P
OK, thanks. Do you know how the motor responds when the throttle signal is lost?

Slyster
07-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Thats totally up to your reciever. I have the spektrum system... and I set the failsafe (signal loss) to just shut down the motor.

jhheli
07-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Set my failsafe for center stick so if power is loss it wont have negative or positive pitch.

Slyster
07-26-2009, 01:10 AM
thats a good idea... but what happens to it if you drop your radio and break it? Will it keep flying for 3 more minutes? :)

Jacket60
07-26-2009, 10:39 AM
OK, now suppose hypothetically that all power to the receiver was suddenly lost. Does the ESC keep driving the motor?

kyalamikid
07-26-2009, 12:20 PM
That depends on your radio. On the Spektrum stuff I use, you have a failsafe position that you bind the receiver to. If you bind failsafe with throttle hold on and collective at mid position, then the blades will hve zero pitch, and the motor will be off.

Given your hypothetical situation, the power to the receiver actually normally comes from the ESC BEC circuit. So zero power to the receiver means that either:

1/ You have toasted your ESC.
2/ You have cut through the power wires from the ESC.

Both the above situations the ESC would not be getting current from itself (BEC circuit), which would case the ESC circuit to shutdown, as the ESC should disarm.

azheliguy
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
I guess I was asleep on that day of class and not set this up on my DX7. :thinking

Do you just set the failsafe position to what you want to happen during bind?

Vinci
07-26-2009, 03:37 PM
That depends on your radio. On the Spektrum stuff I use, you have a failsafe position that you bind the receiver to. If you bind failsafe with throttle hold on and collective at mid position, then the blades will hve zero pitch, and the motor will be off.

Given your hypothetical situation, the power to the receiver actually normally comes from the ESC BEC circuit. So zero power to the receiver means that either:

1/ You have toasted your ESC.
2/ You have cut through the power wires from the ESC.

Both the above situations the ESC would not be getting current from itself (BEC circuit), which would case the ESC circuit to shutdown, as the ESC should disarm.

Did you ever tried to get it into failsafe position? I did on both the DX6i and DX7 with AR6200 receiver (newest firmware). For some reason it just keeps the last known position of the servos and doesn't return to failsafe/binding position, I wonder if it's just me ...

another_finn
07-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Did you ever tried to get it into failsafe position? I did on both the DX6i and DX7 with AR6200 receiver (newest firmware). For some reason it just keeps the last known position of the servos and doesn't return to failsafe/binding position, I wonder if it's just me ...
No, that's the way it works. Both the manual and the Spektrum website are really ambiguous about this feature, but these threads clear it up nicely:

dx7 , setup question, what does the fail safe record?? - HeliFreak

Failsafe not working.. - HeliFreak

Vinci
07-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me !

J-S-Q
07-27-2009, 06:29 AM

That's true except on the throttle channel where it will move the servo to your bind position.