PDA

View Full Version : Performance Tail Upgrades from KDE Direct for all 450 Series Helicopters

Pages : 1 [2]

Montana
12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Mine still binds if I put ANY torque on the screw that has the brass bushing. Maybe I'm clueless or just have bad luck but I've always had trouble with that slider design. I just ordered a Microheli version that says it replaces all the bushing with bearings, but it hasn't arrived yet. I've had bad experiences with Microheli's stuff but I decided to give them another try because I have so much trouble with the bushings. I'll report back when I get the Microheli part.

http://www.microheli.com/product_info.php?cPath=2918&products_id=1637

johnsma22
12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Mine still binds if I put ANY torque on the screw that has the brass bushing. Maybe I'm clueless or just have bad luck but I've always had trouble with that slider design. I just ordered a Microheli version that says it replaces all the bushing with bearings, but it hasn't arrived yet. I've had bad experiences with Microheli's stuff but I decided to give them another try because I have so much trouble with the bushings. I'll report back when I get the Microheli part.

http://www.microheli.com/product_info.php?cPath=2918&products_id=1637

I hope that MicroHeli tail slider works better for you than it did for me. I had to return the POS because the hole in the slider bearing, that the tail shaft inserts into, was just a hair too big. This caused extreme binding! I returned it. The KDE links that I got did the same thing when I first got them. They would bind if I tightened them too much. Then I tried to overtighten them and then backed them off. After doing that they seemed to "seat" or something. Then I was able to tighten the screws down with no binding. I really don't know what happened, but they've been fine for months and dozens of flights now with no binding at all.

johnsma22
12-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey KDE, if youíre listening...
How about a CNC ball bearing bell crank for the tail? The plastic one has too much slop!

Align makes an aluminum bell crank for this heli, and also an aluminum slider bearing holder. These pieces, along with the aluminum KDE links have removed just about all the slop from my tail assembly!

BaconRaygun
12-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Do you have a part number? I have been looking but canít seem to find the bell-crank... I found the bearing holder though.

Evan03
12-07-2010, 07:30 AM
heres the align metal bellcrank
http://highflyheli.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=349

aling metal anitirotation bracket
http://highflyheli.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=1065

tail servo mount
http://highflyheli.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=1011

im probly going to get one on my next order

BaconRaygun
12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Cool.... thanx for that.

helidude71
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
I just fitted my KDE tail upgrade last night. One thing I noticed was that if I tighten down on the long screw that goes through the metal mount and through the bearing part of the tail link then the whole assembly gets noticeably tight. I therefore backed off the screw ever so slightly and made sure to apply locktite. This way everything is free and there is no slop. Does this sound like the right way to do it?

After the binding issue with the bronze sleeve bushing I run into the exact same issue. ^^
Tighten the long socket head screw = binding the whole assembly. :arggg:

I love this upgrade on my 500 but for the 450 I can't recommend it.
This is from my personal experience.

Just my 2ct.

Edit: I choose the refund route. Thx KDE for taking care of this. :thumbup:

BaconRaygun
02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Can you see whatís binding though? I have found 3 causes.

1) Over tightened screw, you need to feather it at the end, the margin of error is a really fine line in this case.
2) Excessive loc-tite use, the thread lock got between the bushing and the bolt and is causing it to stick. Apply thread lock directly to the threads (use a toothpick) of the hole rather then on the bolt itself.
3) The little arm is contacting the aluminum piece it attaches to, this requires some gentle filing... A few strokes and check again (dry) then repeat till you get it smooth.

I had all 3 issues... Itís quicker and easier to just do the fix yourself rather than wait on a replacement. At least I think so anyway.

cheddah
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Same issues are reported previously. Bushing was very tight and I had enough binding problems that I went back to stock parts.

mrmurder1975
08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Received my tail upgrade today and im sorry to say im not impressed. Both brass sleeves are not in the packet and the bearings are a long way from being bind free and smooth.i ordered this from the states so its not really worth my time or expense to send it back.does anyone know the size of the bearings please? Will be quicker and cheaper to repkace them myself I think...had high hopes for this upgrade but feel really gutted its not what I hoped for. Thankyou.

Edit...are there even meant to be brass sleeves included in the kit??!! Just looking on the kde website at a pic of the upgrade and there are none in the picture.....confused now.

Double edit...ok,i take my moan about no brass sleeves in the kit back.in the installation diagram it advises to use the ones from the original tail assembly.my apologies kde.

Still have notchy,tight bearings though! :0(

mrmurder1975
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
does anybody please know the right bearings to order for the kde assembly? im starting to take this being ignored personally now!:arggg::thinking

mrmurder1975
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
ok i give up:kiss

runesb
10-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Got the kde tail upgrade at all my helis, great parts.

But need a upgrade part for the arm what is connected between the linkarm rod and shaft slider at tail shaft. Got a play there i mean is too big.

anyone know to get ???

scottkoblitz
10-13-2011, 08:02 PM
http://highflyheli.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=349

runesb
10-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Windbreaker
10-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Same issues are reported previously. Bushing was very tight and I had enough binding problems that I went back to stock parts.

I'm installing mine now.

The flanged bearings go together nicely into the KDE links and don't bind at all, even after the Allen screw is snugged up properly on the tail rotor grips.

When I first installed it, the slider would bind. Under magnification it could be seen how the links weren't lining up with the gap in the slider where the link and brass bushing is supposed to fit.

If you look really closely at the link, the link isn't symmetrical. The side that bolts to the tail rotor blade grip (and has the flanged bearings) is slightly higher than the side that screws onto the slider (and has the brass bushing).

If the link is installed "upside down", the parts will not align properly and will bind.

So if yours binds, then try flipping the link the other way around.

The "higher" side of the link should be against the blade grip, and not against the head of the Allen bolt.

With the link properly oriented, you should be able to snug up the screw and bolt normally and nothing should bind.

Hope this helps.

DILLIGAFF
10-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Does anyone have a part number for the Align aluminum slider bearing holder?
The stock slider bearing holder is plastic with a steel insert to hold the ball link.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Bill

cpmboy
12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Do u hv video showing the correct installation for this upgrade?.....and 1 more thing, is it ok (has anyone try it yet?) to install this upgrade and at same time flipping the 450 pro grip?....waiting to install mine.