PDA

View Full Version : trying out duralite

Pages : [1] 2

Dan Lewis
06-29-2004, 08:06 PM
I bought two 4000mah flats and the required equip through www.onlyraptors.com the other day - great deal :) and very easy order. Clark also sent me a lith-ion for my 9Z along with spending quite a bit of time with my pestering questions - being such a noob I just had to ask everything. They've got one hell of a shop there if you ask me.

I'm looking forward to less worries and more flying with this new setup. Any gotchas that I should know about before I install them? Keep in mind, I've only been in this a short time and have used only nicad/nimh w/supernova. Electronics is not my forte.

WillJames
06-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Clark is definitely a stand-up guy!!

You will LOVE the Duralites, I sure do!! :)

TerryBelanger
06-29-2004, 10:16 PM
I've started with the TX and support gear and am Anxiously awaiting the funds to buy the Rx gear for both my copters. You can fly forever with these things and the constant voltage

Spitfire_mk5
06-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Duralites are :clappp

WillJames
06-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Your Right BDIS. I just bought a new 9CHP and installed a Duralite TX pack first thing. The TX Duralite has been charged two times and I have over 6.75 hours on the TX already after last weekends flying and setup clinic. Best thing of all, it is still showing 11.3 volts, I just turned it on and looked. Now that is incredible!!

Thanks Duralite!!

Dan Lewis
06-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Does the constant voltage mean that when it runs out of juice, it runs out super quick?

bigrcr
06-30-2004, 09:31 AM
NO, It will eventually get down to the "no fly" voltage and then it is time to recharge. It is best to just recharge after a good flying session anyway though and just know that if you need to go for a long time without charging you can do so. The batteries will not develop memory so it is safe to just put them back on the charger after each session.

:glasses:

Dan Lewis
06-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Probably a dumb question: What is 'no fly' voltage? Does that depend on the battery or the regulator?

bigrcr
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
The receiver packs are 7.4 Volt packs. The "no fly" voltage is 6.9 volts on the pack while applying a 1 AMP load. The regulator has nothing to do with this voltage as the battery is read independent of the regulator. Do not check the voltage output from the regulator as the voltage will be 5.1, 5.6 or 6 volts dependent of the regulator used. This voltage will be the same throughout the discharge of the pack and will only drop off well after possible pack damage, so the voltage cannot be read from the regulator.

I personally have picked a value of 7.1 volts to stop flying using a 1 AMP load. This is not necessary, but charging the batteries is no problem and by that time you have flown MANY flights! :wink: The best way is just to fly all day and check the pack in between flights. If you do get near the "no fly" voltage, stop and recharge or check for a possible problem if you have not flown much (doubtful). Charge between flying sessions even if the pack has not been used much as the battery has no memory effects.

Later,

Dan Lewis
06-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks! Great explanation ;) I appreciate the help

SteveK
07-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Do the TX packs charge thru the TX port or do the have a separate connector for charging like the RX pack?? I have JR if that makes a difference.

TerryBelanger
07-01-2004, 01:14 PM
They charge throught the charge port in your TX. You can call Duralite and ask for the ClintStone Tx Charge lead. They make you a lead that you plug into the Tx port on ur charger and then plug staight into the battery just in case you want to charge the Tx batt when it's not in the radio.

Dan Lewis
07-02-2004, 05:10 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

12.3v on my new 1300mah tx... can this be bad:?: I've never seen it that high with the futaba batt. :shock:

WillJames
07-02-2004, 05:34 AM
That is normal. I have seen as high as 12.5. I LOVE my duralites.

DavidH
07-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Dan,
Normal fully charged voltage for the receiver packs will be 8.2 to 8.4.
Fully charged voltage for the transmitter packs will be 12 to 12.5.

Stop fly on the transmitter pack is 10.9 volts showing on the volt meter of the transmitter.

Stop fly on the receiver packs is 6.9 volts with a 1 amp load applied. I have flown the receiver packs down to 6.5 volts with no problems. The instructions are stating a higher voltage to allow a good safe zone margin.

David

Splattt
07-02-2004, 11:19 AM
I have also seen them as high as 12.6 on my 9x pack. But it doesnt seem to harm the transmitter in the least.

Dan Lewis
07-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the help and advice :)

I'm hoping to have something to fly later today... time to build, build, build :)

Dan Lewis
07-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Those regulators get hot!

DavidH
07-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Yes the regulators get warm, that is why there is a heat sink attached to them. Mount the regulator where air can flow freely around it and thru it. Do not wrap it in foam or mount it where it is covered.

David

Dan Lewis
07-05-2004, 09:14 AM
I had put it on a double sided sticky pad in front of everything, right over the battery. That should be good, right? Thanks again David :glasses:

DavidH
07-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Dan,
Yes that should be a good place to mount it. Just so air can circulate around it.

David

Dan Lewis
07-05-2004, 08:46 PM
I must be doing something wrong... I charged my two 4000mah rx packs and my 1300mah tx pack a couple days ago. While I haven't been measuring the time they've been turned on to the minute, I probably have a couple hours on each of rx packs and the charge had gone down to 5.9v w/ 1 amp load... this surprised me and I immediately put them on the charger. Understand also that this time was low usage while setting up servo's and two flights in low hover on one of my new heli's (rap .50). The other was only setup and it brought the pack down to 6.6v w/ 1 amp load. I was expecting at least 10-12 flights (about 3hrs with heavy servo activity... 4 x 15min flights p/hr). I have all 9252 w/401.

I'm measuring the voltage via the lead from the failsafe switch using the duralite tester w/ 1 amp load. Is this the correct place to measure them?

I know for sure that my tx pack went down from 12.3v to 11.4 in the first half hour - perhaps that is normal. I'm going to keep track of my time more closely, but I wanted to make sure that I'm using the tester correctly. Can someone plz confirm this?

Thanks

DavidH
07-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Dan,
Yes you should check the battery voltage at the lead coming from the switch.
If you let the batteries get down to 5.9 volts with 1 amp load that is letting the batteries deplete too much.
I have gotten 12 flights at approx 12 mins each from the 4000 mah packs. I am using all digital servos and GY 601 on a Fury Tempest, But the amount of flights also depends on type of flying and how free the system is setup. I mean all the control system should move freely to achieve max performance.
12 X 12 = 144mins. So a couple of hours plus is possible.
Also normal for the transmitter pack to loose the top charge quick. Mine is at 12.1 and goes to about 11.6 first few minutes transmitter is on. Then stablizes and takes a while to get to 10.9 volts in the transmitter.

David

Dan Lewis
07-06-2004, 12:24 AM
I didn't mean for the charge to go down to 5.9 ... I checked it after my second flight and was quite surprised. I just put these servo's in the heli's and set the atv's today. I double checked the instructions to make sure I didn't break something - apparently 5.5 or below can damage the pack - so I think I'm safe. I put them all on the charger earlier and will check them well as I use them tomorrow.

It's good to know the tx pack behavior is normal. I'll let you know how this pans out over the next few days. All I can think is that I had to have miscalculated the time while busy setting them up. Thanks again

Dan Lewis
07-06-2004, 12:32 AM
What should expect in charge time? Is it possible to calculate that? There's no percentage complete readout as I've become accumstomed to with my old battery system.