PDA

View Full Version : Trex 500 Skids Install

Sky1trek
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey folks,

Picked up some skids for install on the B400 (hope to expand my takeoff sites). With many having installed these, can anyone provide info on the best way to install etc. Like did you have to redrill the skid supports ,what size bit, did you use the trex fasteners or drill it for the current B400 fasteners, etc.

If there's a link that's great too.:)

Cailid
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I just drilled new holes in the 500 struts after carefully measuring to make sure I had them centered and then used the fasteners that came with them.

neilg.
08-27-2009, 01:47 PM
caps screws and :smokin:nuts :smokin:

Kirkgang
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Small zip ties, not my idea but a good one.

Sky1trek
08-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I just drilled new holes in the 500 struts after carefully measuring to make sure I had them centered and then used the fasteners that came with them.
Thanks all. Cailid, the bolts look way bigger than the hole in the landing gear tabs. Did they fit? I'm borrowing a dremel from work over the wknd so wondering what size bit you used (I'll have to buy it since that dremel doesn't have a wide range of accessories).

Thanks.

Cailid
08-27-2009, 11:55 PM
The bolt fit through the tab no trouble for me. I don't remember what size bit I used, just take a bolt with you when you buy the bit to compare size and get a bit one size bigger than the bolt.

Sky1trek
08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
5/64th bit:thumbup: Had to get a special Dremel chuck so it could grab the small bit I needed in the precision bit package I had to buy. 40 bucks and I don't even (yet) own a dremel tool! Another consequential cost to the hobby. The last was a new computer to run RF:rolling

All is good.

neilg.
08-29-2009, 10:07 AM
why didn't you just put old skids back to back with new skids and spot the hole?

i hate dremels, dremels remind me of dentists :smokin:

Sky1trek
08-29-2009, 11:17 AM
why didn't you just put old skids back to back with new skids and spot the hole?

i hate dremels, dremels remind me of dentists :smokin:

Huh? That's what I did.:lol:

Dentist? No dentist reminds me of tooth aches.

08-29-2009, 01:22 PM
I drilled mine and used larger bolts I had on hand. Just looking at the hole size on a spare frame, you could drill the skids and use wire to secure it so you can preserve the frame holes if you want to put the stock skid back on.

I like the larger stance for landings for a beginner. I had a nose dive crash and bent one skid. I bent it back no prob. I think this skid has saved crash damage, especially on my fiberglass canopy.

Sky1trek
08-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I put them on for one reason only - tail rotor clearance. Everytime that TR hits even a twig at the speed it's turning brings you one step closer to trashing the whole tail assembly or at least the shaft. Now I can be much less picky about take off and landing sites. The stock gear is so low, heck even on pavement my TR hit a stone a little smaller than a marble one time.

oliverdots
08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I used them for tail clearance plus to help stop the Blade tipping. Looks better than training gear but still helps a learner like myself. They have saved me a few times and don't look rediculously big. I used the stock screws and just drilled the 500 skids for clearance. Used a vernier to measure hole centres. Just not sure the Blade would fit in a 450 flight case now? Those babies are wide. Even when I am good at flying, the 500's will stay. As said before, you can be less fussy where you take off and land. Most fields aren't that flat around where I live.