PDA

View Full Version : Ok...Very, Very stupid mistake

HeLiPLT2
09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, I was showin off the Velocity to the neighbors, nothin special all I wanted to do was hover and thats it. When I started to spool up on the first tank of the day, before the heli even left the ground, 2 screws on the tail case popped out, the whole tail cocked clockwise about 45 degrees and I stripped both ends of the tt gears. After all of this happened within a split second, I hit the throttle hold and looked on the ground next to the heli and there were the two screws. I was so pissed I almost kicked the damn heli as hard as I could, I then remembered how much I spent on it :arggg:. My mistake was, while I was building the heli I noticed the tail case was already assembled so I left it the way it was, no locktite, in fact I didn't even check to see if the factory even put any on. well they didn't and now I know. Soooo for any of you guys that didn't check, do it! NOW! I'm just so happy the heli didn't explode on me or more damage than there already is. This is me from start to finish :YeaBaby: :shock: :mad: :bomb: :arggg::clappp:roll:

LITHIUMSTATIC
09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
ALWAYS disassemble any pre-assembled parts. This is a major rule of thumb in RC heli building. It doesn't matter the brand or the size of heli! Use blue loctite on reassembly.

Do a quick preflight before carrying the heli to the flight line. When you get home before you put the heli away, go over it closely with your fingers and look for screws or bolts backing out. This alone has saved me a lot of grief.

I'm sorry to see this happen to your new bird.... could have been much worse.

HeLiPLT2
09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I know, I know, it was totaly my fault I've always done that, but this time I was just to damn excited to get the thing done and in the air. I sure as hell learned my lesson.

JAGNZ
09-03-2009, 05:30 AM
The only part I left pre-assembled on mine was the tail grips. I might pay for it on the Maiden but I checked the tail hub bolts and they were tight as. I did take the tail case apart and locktite everything though. Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

On a side note, I can tell you from experience that with the Compass brand, the bits they pre-build are built right and with Locktite. I have had experiences with quite a few of their Helis now and ALL pre-assembled bits have been done right.

But yes, in general, I agree, dis-assemble all pre-assembled parts and assemblies. I wish Heli manufacturers would just leave all the parts in the box for us to build!

kazager
09-03-2009, 06:46 AM
I feel bad. I had raised this issue, as it happened to me, but luckily didn't cause any damage. I posted it on the "otheRR site" and didn't mirror that post here. My goal was to help others avoid my mistake. If you feel like I did, I should have known to take it apart, but I didn't even put a driver to it to check it for tightness.

Aussie_G
09-03-2009, 06:56 AM
The factory assembles some parts just to ensure fit & they leave them assembled for the ovbious labor required to take them apart again..

But it sure is easier to just take out the screws one at a time & stick a littlew locktite on them.

Charley did say he was making an amendment to the manual to show that the pre-assembled parts needed to have locktite added...

I hate you got some damage from it, but thankfully it was on the ground - not 150 feet up during a piro or tic-toc...

kazager
09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Charley Stephens' response:

Guys, My apologies for the confusion most items that are pre assembled are done merely for QC and fitment purposes for future kits a sticker will be added to packaging to note

"Factory pre-assembled for fitment and quality control, No thread lock was used! Please disassemble and install thread lock per instruction manual"

Just to reiterate what Aussie said

HeLiPLT2
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I know to disassemble all the prebuilt parts I don't know why I didn't. I too didn't put a driver to it when I knew I should of but lesson learned and I'm still thankful it didn't end much worse. I already ordered the parts so I will be up and flyin for the labor day weekend

R0t0R
09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
The tail case on my kit was somewhat assembled, but the screws were just partially screwed in leaving it obvious that it needed to be taken apart and reassembled with locktite. I always take everthing apart just incase and in the case of the tail grips, I disassembled them even though the screws were tight to check for proper assembly and to grease the bearings. In my kit, the tail grip thrust bearings did not have any grease on them, so it is worth taking them apart and doing it right.

BenHeli
09-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I've a small glass jar filled with debenture alcohol. I'd drop the screws. nuts, bolts, etc. into it. Shake it around a bit and then wipe off the alcohol before re-assembling.

DominicD
09-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Like any kit, parts are assembled for shipping purposes, it's not a substitute for building it yourself.

JAGNZ
09-03-2009, 05:09 PM
In my kit, the tail grip thrust bearings did not have any grease on them, so it is worth taking them apart and doing it right.

Ok, you talked me into it, the one part I did not dis-assemble gets taken apart today. :)

Rob43
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I like to clean my heli after every flight. I think this affords a great opportunity to monitor for fasteners which might loosen up and other things which might shift after a hard manuever (or in my case, a close save). I am even doing this on my EP heli's even though they only tend to get bug guts on the main blades and grass around the tail.

shultzee
09-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I also clean all bolts with alcohol before locktighting and building.