PDA

View Full Version : Blade 400 wont spin up

Pages : 1 [2]

kwesty2008
09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Hay. i have this broblem with my twister storm. changed to align 40 amp (all i had at the time) and problem went away... I have heard of the o/w bearings bein a bit dicky so 130 flights is a long time for it. maybe just switch it out to be sure...

We ave also had some magnets come loose inside plane motor cases to which causes it to sputter at idol... just give everythin a overhaul and if its all good then just change our esc...

renoco
09-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Take a look at your motor. The lower bearing may be failing intermittently causing difficulty to spool up. with the motor unable to spool up your ESC and the battery will heat up due to the resistance from a seizing bearing. I had this happen to me.

cgjunk2
09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I may have to inspect the motor more carefully. I can't really feel any sort of weird play in the bearings with it mounted on the heli. There is some slight up and down movement on the can portion of the motor, but I'm not sure if it is excessive. In technical terms, it moves a smidge ;) Should there be any up an down movement?

Regarding checking the lower bearing... does that require the motor to be disassembled? Or is it enough to check for lateral play on the shaft?

renoco
09-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I may have to inspect the motor more carefully. I can't really feel any sort of weird play in the bearings with it mounted on the heli. There is some slight up and down movement on the can portion of the motor, but I'm not sure if it is excessive. In technical terms, it moves a smidge ;) Should there be any up an down movement?

Regarding checking the lower bearing... does that require the motor to be disassembled? Or is it enough to check for lateral play on the shaft?
There should be no side to side movement on the can. any movement is an indication of a bad bearing and with a worn bearing it the shaft is also worn out. when you get it to spool up does it make an unusual noise or grinding sound when spooling down? If you find it that this is the case you can remove and replace the defective bearing (lower usually) and the shaft. Removing the bearing is bit of a challenge but it can be done.

cgjunk2
09-26-2009, 12:16 AM
There should be no side to side movement on the can. any movement is an indication of a bad bearing and with a worn bearing it the shaft is also worn out. when you get it to spool up does it make an unusual noise or grinding sound when spooling down? If you find it that this is the case you can remove and replace the defective bearing (lower usually) and the shaft. Removing the bearing is bit of a challenge but it can be done.

The motor sounds fine. No weird noises that I can tell. That is one of the reasons I never suspected the motor. But I'm pulling it tomorrow just to check though. I don't want to burn through a bunch of ESCs if that is the problem. We will see...

cgjunk2
09-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I pulled the motor and found the shaft to have some wear on the lower bearing area. There is some side to side play as well. A new motor is 50 some bucks, which is a bit much for my taste. Are there any good sources for getting a shaft and lower bearing? Any links appreciated.

SightSeeker
09-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Just letting you know had the exact same problem with my ESC. It would rotate less than 1 revolution per second and would just make a bumping sound. I got a new ESC and installed a BEC and that fixed it.

cgjunk2
09-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Just letting you know had the exact same problem with my ESC. It would rotate less than 1 revolution per second and would just make a bumping sound. I got a new ESC and installed a BEC and that fixed it.

Good to know. It will probably be worth it to send it to E-flight. They replaced mine.

My motor does seem to be on its way to being worn, but I'm not sure that caused my ESC problem. I put my motor together again (until I can rebuild it) and just flew three packs through it. I needed to fly. At least I was not forced to use my non-existent autorotation skillz!