PDA

View Full Version : Buy a new ds285 after crash or upgrade to hs65mg servos

BTB
09-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Ok I crashed about a week ago and took out 2 of my ds285 they have lasted about 5 crashes without stripping. So I changed the gears and put the bird back together. And I had 3 good flights with no problems. But when flying yesterday the aileron servo died I was able to land without any damage which was greatbut what should I do buy a new servo or get the metal gear 65's the 5065 look nice but way too expensive for my level of flying.. I hear that the 65's don't center well and that they cause alot of weird head cyclic interactions. The ds285 are rock solid to me me other than this on problem what do you guys think I should do??? Rembr I'm on a budget..lol

snjbird
09-07-2009, 06:42 AM
http://www.readyheli.com/v/vspfiles/photos/JRPSG241MG-2T.jpg (http://www.readyheli.com/JR_Gear_Set_241_Micro_Metal_Gear_by_JR_Metal_Gears _p/jrpsg241mg.htm)
Do you have the metal gears for the DS285?

If not you could get them and it will help with stripping gears in a crash

I have used the DS285
Futaba S3153
and the Align 410M
And the HS65s...They are just as good as any of the others

Wolfpackin
09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I hear that the 65's don't center well and that they cause alot of weird head cyclic interactions.

I've got HS65HB's on two helis with a combined 600 flights.
No issues with centering or interactions after adjusting endpoints for a level swash at high and low stick.

HS65's are the tried and true workhorse of the 450 size heli.
I'm not sure where you would have heard that criticism of the servo.
It might be true that analog servos don't center as often and accurately as digital but most pilots will not notice much of a difference, if any, with them on cyclic.

Dirtmagnet400
09-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I've had both 285's and 65mg's.. The 285's started out as plastic gears, then i upgraded to metal gears in them. I also bought some 65mg's for my other 450, and i like them A LOT better! They are a little bigger and stronger, and i highly recommend them! But, if you want a set of 3 DS285's with plastic gears, let me know! i have them that are about to get sold!

BTB
09-08-2009, 12:34 AM
I saw the metal gear sets for the 285's but I saw in the forum that putting metal gears in the 285's causes mor slop and that they wear out fast because they don't have a ball bearing in it and that the bottom gear is still palstic plus you have to buy the grub screw for the top gear.. I just don't want to spend money on 3 new servos just to find out that they don't feel as good as the 285's I know ALOT of you guys use the 65mg's so can I hear what you 65mg guys have to say. And again I know that the 5065's are digital but 45 dollars is way too much for my level of experience..

Kinta
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I've been using 65mg for a while on my 450. Had a few crashes on them and no problem what so ever regard the gear being strip. They center ok and so far everytime I crash, I would redo the whole head and found that I only have to make a few click change on the ATV at low and high stick. The remaining is the same. Though I think if I would just pop everything back together and fly, I wouldn't notice the different. I'm a beginner pilot start to learn FF.