PDA

View Full Version : Air Travel with RC Equipment? What's the deal now?

Pages : [1] 2

Finless
09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
OK now it's my turn to ask since I am packing for the trip to the Lexington Ky Funfly.

So whats the deal know with carry on luggage and RC equipment?
Do they let you carry on the Transmitter or does it have to be checked baggage?
What about Lipos? I plan to carry 3 2200ma packs for my 450 Pro. That OK? I believe that is below the Lithium maximums?

Anything else?

I want to carry on not check baggage but I don't want to get stuck at security and forced to check something.

Bob

Shockwave 3K
09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I carried my radio and chager on the plane with no problems. Your lipo battery needs to be in checked baggage.

Cameron_S
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
According to the FAA you can check them in but there lithium content has to be less than 2g of lithium metal.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/media/MaterialsCarriedByPassengersAndCrew.pdf

How do they know how much that is without taking the lithium out and weighing, so I would say they are ok in checked in baggage. If you try to carry them on I would see them confiscating them.

Cameron

Edit: Call up the airline and see what they have to say.

Thrasymedes
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I have no good advice, but have a safe trip. :)

Popsicle
09-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Just mail your batteries to your hotel.. Priority mail is 2-3 days!

-Kyle

WillJames
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Seeya soon Bob. It is Finless Bob Clinic HeliFreak Style Baby!!

Anybody that needs some setup help, come on to the Lexington Event and lets have some fun and learn at the same time with Finless Bob and HeliFreak.com and the Lexington Event Baby@@. :thumbup::smokin::clappp

Finless
09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
So you cant carry on 2 lipo batteries? I thought you still could it just had to be under a certain count or something?

So transmitters are OK then?

Bob

Finless
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
OK I read that PDF from the FAA. Spare batteries are OK and must be carried on NOT CHECKED. No more than 2 spares with total of 8 grams of lithium.

Any idea how many grams are in a 3S 2200 ma pack?

Bob

Thrasymedes
09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Any idea how many crams are in a 3S 2200 ma pack?

Bob

No but I know an owl that knows how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll lollipop! :tongue

1.......2..........*crunch*......3..... :)

Finless
09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
OK...OK.... typo.... Grams!

I am going to try to carry 2 packs on with me in my laptop case and we will see how it goes.

Bob

Thrasymedes
09-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Hope you guys have a blast. I would love to come and hang but I'm committed to going to Darrell Sprayberry's scale event this weekend. I will take a bunch of pics. :thumbup:

Wolfpackin
09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Yup, not sure where the misconception about checking lipos came from, but it's always been that they should go in the cabin so if a fire does break out the flight crew can handle it. Whereas if the fire was in the luggage hold that would be difficult to deal with and very bad news for sure.

The radio is another story, it really depends on who the screeners are, how well trained they are and how much they want to harrass you.

Just like guns, I've checked them on flights without issue many times. However, a friend of mine tried to check 4 guns in the appropriate container and was harrassed and denied permission to do so by a gun hating screener, not even TSA, even though no law prevents that number of guns on a plane.

BTW, my friend threatened to sue the airline, after the fact, and wound up with multiple free round trip airline tickets from that same carrier.

Good luck Bob.

Finless
09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
I had heard someone say once that they now were not letting you carry on a RC radio transmitter. Maybe it was just the guy asking I don't remember. But I could see and understand the reason for it e.g. using it to activate something in checked baggage etc?

Well if they stop me and tell me no I guess I will leave the line and go put stuff in a locker. :(

I would really like to hear from others that have traveled recently with RC gear on carry on... Come on there has to be quite a few out there that went to IRCHA?

Bob

igc
09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Had my tx in my backpack, to and home from Ircha, didn't have any problems at the airport. Had a couple small lipos in the tx case as well, so you shouldn't have a problem Bob.

Ian

Finless
09-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks Ian! That makes me feel better...

I think they are going to feeak a little on whats in my suitcase. Two 450's (ones a night rig) and my 9303. I bet the bag gets inspected. The lipo's will be in my Laptop case.

Bob

Bolders
09-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Hope it all works out for ya Bob, but as you touched on earlier, play it safe and have a backup plan in case the airline doesn't co-operate.

Either way have a great time!

ErichF
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Bob, you're good to go. I've flown cross-country several times with my 450s and batteries.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/documents/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

BTW:

Equivalent Lithium Content (ELC). ELC is a measure by which lithium ion batteries are classified. 8 grams of equivalent lithium content are equal to about 100 watt-hours. 25 grams of equivalent lithium content are equal to about 300 watt-hours.

You can arrive at the number of watt-hours your battery provides if you know how many milliamp hours and volts your battery provides: mAh/1000 x V = wh

Most lithium ion batteries marketed to consumers are below 100 watt-hours (8 grams ELC). If you are unsure of the watt-hour rating of your lithium ion battery, contact the manufacturer.

DarkHeli
09-10-2009, 12:13 AM
I went international with 4 batteries and heli + transmitter ON BOARD. No issue, the screening lady though my heli was 'cute'. :rollingPrepare to get the crap swabbed out of it though.

paintballkidz
09-10-2009, 12:17 AM
First I brung a beam e4 with 1 lipo strapped hand carried, and 3 more in my check-in, all they did was swab back in 08'. (Now I realise how dumb that was because it could have started a fire in the luggage compartment ... So I carry on my lipo's now)

I brung 11 lipos on a cross country flight in my carry on bag on August 26th 09', They didn't give me any trouble, didn't even swab for explosives.

And yes I do bring my TX on every flight to play on the sim with my laptop.

Finless
09-10-2009, 12:20 AM
So the PDF says a max of 2 batteries. At least the way I read it. I think if I try to bring 3 or 4 they might get me on it? So 2 will have to do as I don;t want to risk it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Bob

Mike66
09-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Last year I flew from Frankfurt to Dulles, and back, with my DX7, laptop, spare laptop battery, and four 6S 3000mAh packs in my carry on back pack. I wouldn't try it with four 6S 5000mAh packs, but the 6S 3000mAh packs are the equivalent of 67Wh each.

Bob, the PDF file states that the limit of two batteries applies to large packs, that is packs with ELC between 8g and 25g, or 100Wh and 300Wh. Two 12S 6000mAh packs (if one exists) are below the maximum limit.

WillJames
09-10-2009, 04:36 AM
I will have 5 2200 3s zippys with me Bob. Alan will have about 5 as well.

Mike66
09-10-2009, 06:02 AM
I will have 5 2200 3s zippys with me Bob. Alan will have about 5 as well.
I wonder why no one makes a vest to carry spare batteries. :shock:

Altec
09-10-2009, 07:23 AM
OK I read that PDF from the FAA. Spare batteries are OK and must be carried on NOT CHECKED. No more than 2 spares with total of 8 grams of lithium.

Any idea how many grams are in a 3S 2200 ma pack?

Bob

I have 3 different 3s packs, they range from 160-190 grams each. Hard to tell how much of it actually lithium.

WillJames
09-10-2009, 08:09 AM
I have 3 different 3s packs, they range from 160-190 grams each. Hard to tell how much of it actually lithium.

I know what you mean???? Do different brands contain different amounts of Lithium? I would think so, but not sure.