Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How big BEC for FBL?

I have just ordered 3xAlign DS610 for my stretch 650, it has a Rotoworkz HFE frame, originally with mini servos direct to swash, but as I want to put a FBL system on it, probably V-bar, I will mod the frame to fit standard size servos, still direct to swash.
I have read that the DS610 is very amp hungry, but what does it really mean?

So with 3xDS610, V-bar and a S9254 for the tail, svinging 690 blades, how big BEC do I need to be safe?
Mounted today is a Hercules HV BEC, 3.5A continous, not even used! but probably to small.
http://www.helidirect.com/western-ro...age-p-4667.hdx

I do not want a extra lipo pack, I run 2x5000 12s, so plenty of mah.
Do I really need this? http://www.helidirect.com/western-ro...ak-p-11292.hdx
Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I plan to eventually go FBL as well. I have about 40 flights on the CC BEC Pro, and I've been very happy with it. And it's very reasonably priced. It has way more capacity then you need for your setup.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks!
Had totally forgotten the new CC BEC, nice!
Was pissed after buying the Herc 3 days before it was released.
So, I will get it anyway
It still would be interesting to know the amp draw of a setup like this, what to think with.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[quote=OnTheSnap;1539113]I plan to eventually go FBL as well. I have about 40 flights on the CC BEC Pro, and I've been very happy with it. And it's very reasonably priced. It has way more capacity then you need for your setup. [/quote]
+1
i had it installed on a logo600 12S and on trex600.6S.
on 12S it goes down somewhat hot, but i guess this is why the heatsink is there. make sure you install it someplace it'll get plenty of airflow...

Last edited by lavi; 09-16-2009 at 02:35 AM..
lavi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have about a hundred flights on this BEC:
http://www.readyheli.com/Western_Rob...wrl-hbechc.htm

Perhaps I am pushing it and perhaps the WR unit is very conservatively rated... probably both.

I am also using the Align 610 servos, but only 10S.
The 3.5A output of the unit you linked to is unlikely conservatively rated enough

There is this option as well:
http://www.readyheli.com/Western_Rob.../wrl-hbecs.htm
It is heavier and way more expensive than the CC unit, but I had terrible luck with the CCBEC, so unlikely to try again with another BEC from them.
Only after significant positive user feedback would I consider the BEC Pro.
teshreve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipsyko View Post
I have just ordered 3xAlign DS610 for my stretch 650, it has a Rotoworkz HFE frame, originally with mini servos direct to swash, but as I want to put a FBL system on it, probably V-bar, I will mod the frame to fit standard size servos, still direct to swash.
I have the HFE and HFX frames, and I am not sure you can (or should) modify the HFE frames to accept the larger servos. The HFX frames come with more hardware to support the output shaft of the servo.
Mike66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all replyes.
I am replacing the top "servo frame" with 2.5mm carbon sheat, i make it a bit longer so it includes the 2 screws for the boomblock. I have KDE metal bottomplate, 8mm plexi battery tray, metalbearingblocks and several extra suport rods. I do not se the problem at all.
Why?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It sounds like you have resources available to you to make the parts fit, which I do not. The larger servos are a tight fit in the HFX frame, which is about 4mm taller than the HFE frame to accommodate the extra space required. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tight, YES. Have not done it yet, so it will be a challenge, though you meant that it was not strong enough, as you wrote "should".
The opening in the main frame is 5 cm high, the space from the holes in a standard size servo is also 5 cm, the shaft will be in the middle giving only, lets say 3.8 cm, or 1.9cm on each side, free space between the frames, so it is a challenge allright.
Needs spacing and massage.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After hearing some horror stories about CC bec's I'm steering way clear of them. For my Logo 500 I went with the very tried and tested workhorse of all bec's. As already mentioned before the WR Hercules 5A. I hear someone tested it to 20A before if eventually failed. So i'm guessing this bec is rated very conservatively.
It would probably be just fine on your setup.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the old 10A CC BEC had some quality issues, which were addressed in later revisions (so I hear). It's funny that we all use their ESC's, but then freak out about a simple DC/DC.

So far I've found the CC BEC Pro to be of extremely high quality, using all the ESC knowledge they've acquired since the 10A BEC. It's an outstanding product that reasonably priced. I give it a 10/10 after many hard flights on it with my 600E.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the CC Bec 10a on my 450, and have ponded it to the ground close to 50 times with no problem at all. Using 3s, 4s and 5s setups on it.
Would not worry at all about CC quality.
Will order a CC Pro asap.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would. I have burnt 3 and a buddy 2.
The fact is that the WR units are way more tested and have been around way longer. I have not heard of a single WR failure and have heard of (and experienced) many CCBEC failures.
If, given this info, you are still OK with trusting your megadollar heli to an unproven product with a bad track record, sweet!
I still run one, actually, but on 3S. And not in a heli.
It seems to be 6S that kills them.
teshreve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's really not fair to say the BEC Pro has a bad history. It's the CC BEC 10A that had the issues. There is nothing in common between the 2 designs as far as I can tell other then 2 years of learning and product releases from CC.

I trust my CC85HV and my CC35. So why not the CC BEC Pro?

With out a doubt there is no history on this product, and there is risk of failure(just like every piece of electronics). I can only convey my own experience as an early adopter. I understand the personal prejudice you have against CC BEC's due to your bad experience with them. They're also using a very modern buck controller and high quality FETs. I couldn't ask for much more then this.

BTW, a higher input voltage is way more stressful on a BEC since it has to run at a lower duty cycle. So I'm not suprised 6s caused a problem. The BEC Pro looks way over engineered and CC isn't planing to repeat it's old mistakes as far as I can tell.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, if the ESC fails, then the ESC fails. With a little luck you can auto, buy a new ESC, end of story. If your BEC fails however, your doomed, and if you are really unlucky your electronic are toast too. And that's expensive!
I run CC ESC's on both my heli's but I only use a proven design for the BEC. If in a year no one has had failures on the CC BEC PRO, I consider it proven, untill then I'll stick to what I got.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike66 View Post
I have the HFE and HFX frames, and I am not sure you can (or should) modify the HFE frames to accept the larger servos. The HFX frames come with more hardware to support the output shaft of the servo.
After some cardboard cutting, testing and adjusting I can say that the mod will be no problems.
The hole in the main frame is large enough to fit both the full size servos, the one for elevator have to be mounted standing like the 9650, and the ailron/pitch will need a 5mm spacer to clear the main shaft with 1mm.
Then put the Rotoworkz servo arms on the inside of the servo wheel of the ailron/pitch and put on a medium long link ball.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipsyko View Post
After some cardboard cutting, testing and adjusting I can say that the mod will be no problems.
The hole in the main frame is large enough to fit both the full size servos, the one for elevator have to be mounted standing like the 9650, and the ailron/pitch will need a 5mm spacer to clear the main shaft with 1mm.
Then put the Rotoworkz servo arms on the inside of the servo wheel of the ailron/pitch and put on a medium long link ball.
Good job! You should send Charley a picture of your design when you are finished.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike66 View Post
Good job! You should send Charley a picture of your design when you are finished.
Thanks! Good idea.
Have a question regarding the servo "saver" parts on the HFX frame, is it bolt on, on the servo, as in can be used on "any" servo? Or? I mean the S-shaped arms to the left on the picture.
Do you have any close up pictures of them on the heli??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HFXkit.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	114734  
Old 09-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Have a question regarding the servo "saver" parts on the HFX frame, is it bolt on, on the servo, as in can be used on "any" servo? Or? I mean the S-shaped arms to the left on the picture.
Do you have any close up pictures of them on the heli??"

Never mind, found them on the Rotoworkz webpage.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't assembled my HFX frame yet, but I fly the HFE frame. I don't know if you have seen them, but here are two Finless Bob videos on the RotorWorkz frame assembly:

HFX

HFE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in