PDA

View Full Version : Main shaft Alternative?

Finless
08-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi all....

Quick question. Since replacement main shafts are 24 smackers, would you all like to see an alternative? Like a hardened steel main shaft? Maybe hollow for weight?

Wadda ya think? If so what price do you think? Say 8-10 bucks?

Just kind of a poll to see if there is interest.

Bob

rotodingo
08-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes, an hollow steel main shaft would be nice. Up to 12 bucks max.
Nicolas

ArthurKnowles
08-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. I'd like one now so I can balance the whole head assembly. I always use a spare shaft to do it, but couldn't find one this time.

Gscott
08-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I would be all over that. Can you make main gears as well :)

Not sure how significant the weight penalty would be but I would prefer a hardened solid steel main shaft. I assume a solid version would be cheaper and easier to make as well.

Finless
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes it would be cheaper than hollow but I assumed people would be weight conscinece with this model?

So hollow or solid?

Bob

Gscott
08-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I vote for solid but I'm willing to accept the small weight gain to get a cheaper, stronger main shaft.

bmlasater
08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Fwiw..

Hollow is better..Lighter and stiffer to boot...Any price below the 24$ mark works for me! :mrgreen: hn.

Jo

Finless
08-11-2006, 07:26 PM
It's being worked on.... Once the cost and end retail price are understood we will bounce off the alternatives.

QUESTION...

Do we need the 3 holes in the lower portion of the main shaft? Are others trying lower or higher mast heights?

We will want only one hole for cost reasons so we can go stock or prefered hole...

Bob

Gscott
08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Been using the stock (middle) hole and I believe it was the one recommended. If it will only have one hole then I would prefer the stock location.

Finless
08-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Actually I plan to try the upper hole (lowering the main shaft) to see if it improves FLIP performance.... I just have not had the time.....
The flip performance of this heli could be improved in my opinion...

Bob

ethinger
08-19-2006, 02:50 PM
why not make it the Raptor 50s main mast price... it would definately benefit us all... maybe not the makers ofcourse... but i'd buy them in bulks
how about the spindles?
how much are the Hirobo spindles?

rotodingo
08-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Spindle will be less than 2US$ at rc-champ japan... Main mast will be less than 14US$. Very good store. Price of parts will be at least 30% below the official japanese price of the manual. Maybe 35%. I will know exactly in a few days.
Nicolas

Finless
08-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Now that parts are here the spindles are pretty cheap. Its the main shaft at $24 that's the kicker.

However this current Hirobo main shaft is a little tuffer than I thought! I had a servo strip on me (probably because the heli got bumped packing it or something) and I didnt notice it until I was spooling up and the heli just tipped over in the grass. I hit hold fast enough to not hurt blades or anything but I thought for SURE the main shaft was going to be bent. NOPE....

Needless to say those runing HS85MG servos be careful as there is one small gear at the motor (most metal gear servos must have one plastic gear for noise reasons) that will strip rather easily if the servo gets forced for some reason. The servo may act OK on the bench but but fail under load.

Time for me to move to AT94761's as I wanted to use to begin with :)

Stay tuned for the main shaft stuff ;)
The debate right now is hollow or solid.

Bob

eheliflyer
08-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Bob you will love the atx 94761's. I run them with the Medusa 3.5a 6v and the are awesome. I agree on how tough the oem main shaft is. I guess I got so use to the Align main shafts the if you look at it funny it bends :lol: . I can't wait till you get more of the aftermarket parts made. Anxiously waiting. :mrgreen:

rotodingo
08-20-2006, 11:24 AM
I can now confirm that RC champ is selling the main mast at 14US$. Since it's aluminum and so not very heavy, maybe ordering 10 or 20 of it will end at a reasonable price including shipping. Just my idea.
Nicolas

eheliflyer
08-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I can now confirm that RC champ is selling the main mast at 14US$. Since it's aluminum and so not very heavy, maybe ordering 10 or 20 of it will end at a reasonable price including shipping. Just my idea.
Nicolas

Where is this rc champ located and do you have a link?

rotodingo
08-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Hello,
Located in Japan.
You have to send an e-mail to : champ_international@yahoo.co.jp
Like to the site: www.rc-champ.co.jp. Butt it's only in japanese. Click on R/C PDF on the Left and you will have acces to advertising PDF pages. You have the prices for a lot of items that you can find by the ref. With price in yen. You can pay using Paypal with a 4 or 5% fee if i'm not mistaken. Very good shop. No trouble at all. Fast and cheap. In fact Hirobo parts are sold with a 30% discount on the official price of the manual. Then use XE.com to have the price on US$.
Nicolas

FrittsLogic
08-20-2006, 03:21 PM
My vote is for whichever is cheaper and faster to make. I just bent my second mast. The spindle's fine, the blades are fine, but the main mast still bent, after completing 90% of a fast loop :(