PDA

View Full Version : Slow forward motion

Gunny
09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Got an observation: if I push forward hard on the right stick, the mSR takes off like a rocket. If I slowly move the right stick forward slowly (say over 1 sec), the mSR starts moving forward real slow and never speeds up. It continues moving forward very slow even after the right stick is at full forward position.

Does that make sense? If so, how does the physics work to make this happen?

NNPP Engineer
09-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Is this observation made outside or inside. Because wind would definitely be a factor.

Gunny
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
It's inside... the living room.

ignacj
09-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I think it's nature of the beast! By moving stick slowly, the heli will have more time to counter the change with its self-rightening design. If you move slow and let go of the right stick, the model will slow down into stable hover - assuming you trimmed it correctly. Not typical for a single-rotor heli, but hey, that's what makes mSR so great as step-up from MX types.

RocketSled
09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Ignacj is right. The heli is designed for stability. The flybar's response rate is very slow, it's large and heavy compared to the main blades. So if you advance cyclic slowly, you're allowing the flybar "keep up" with the attitude change. It's constantly trying (and succeeding) to correct for the forward motion. If you slam the stick forward, you're inputing an attitude change that is too fast for the flybar and the heli leaps forward because the flybar can't move fast enough to compensate. But if you fly outside in a large enough space, you'll find that even when you slam the stick forward, the flybar eventually catches up and the heli will dish-out and slow down. If you want the heli to continue to fly forward at high speed you have to pump the cyclic a little to "encourage" it...

Roehl
09-15-2009, 11:37 AM
try to adjust your right ball links (viewed from the tail) about 2-4 rounds. I noticed this too on mine, forward flight is not that responsive compare backward flight. Try to even out the response for forward and backward.