PDA

View Full Version : mSR - Lessons Learned Thus Far

Mart61
09-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi guys

Just a few lessons I've learned buzzing my new mSR around in the garden:

1) The blades have a tendency to separate on hitting the grass (the retaining screws that holds the two blade grips together pulls out of the opposite grip). This has caused me to lose a feathering shaft o-ring and bushing and a flybar to blade linkage

2) Don't pick up the heli until you've ascertained that you still have all the bits. Had I have done this, I may not have lost the parts listed in 1 above

Anyway, here's a not very good video of me buzzing it around my garden:

VPEKiGvJFlw

KMA6168
09-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I broke two sets of blade grips hitting a soft curtain. This set I put a very small amount of thin CA glue where the screws attach to the grips together and after many miner crashes stills fly's great. Now I'm doing more flying and less repair.

Mart61
09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Sounds good. I'll have to do that.

Just buzzed my mSR around in the study. Now this may look easy, as easy perhaps as the mCX to fly indoors. But, when set on the "aggressive" swashplate arms, with the gear switch in 0 (i.e full servo input), it's not as easy as it looks. http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/testvb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm loving it!

dPB99vqcr4Q

BEELZEBOB
09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
3) heat shrink the tail motor. it will need it.

4) mos def watch out when crashing in grass, it will tie it up and break stuff.

5) the gyro/swash calibration tool is worthless? it just clips on and does nothing

Mart61
09-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Good points. Flying in the house I've broken nothing. Flying on "soft" grass and I've bust several bits.

KMA6168
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM

4) mos def watch out when crashing in grass, it will tie it up and break stuff.

5) the gyro/swash calibration tool is worthless? it just clips on and does nothing

#5. Calibration tool is worthless? I know what a waist of money. I'd rather have an extra battery.

Bob

BEELZEBOB
09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
right? you stick it on "and everything should move freely"

lol, yea, real scientific

briangp
09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
The calibration tool is worthless? Wait until you start getting binding. You'll see why you have it. The one that the LHS would do it after every crash, and you couldn't fly it. Throw that tool on and 5 seconds later you're good to go. Trust me, don't throw it out :)

Mart61
09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
The calibration tool is worthless? Wait until you start getting binding. You'll see why you have it. The one that the LHS would do it after every crash, and you couldn't fly it. Throw that tool on and 5 seconds later you're good to go. Trust me, don't throw it out :)

Nope. Read all the words here. Twice in fact. Understand them all individually but, try as I might, when putting them all together, I can't understand quite what you're saying here.

Have another try?

:D

mkoutnik
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM

Why, where, how? Do you have a pic? I'm just not getting it...:confused:

BEELZEBOB
09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
there is nothing that that lil red tool tells me that my eyes and fingers alone cannot.

binding? huh? where?

ZaphyB
09-21-2009, 04:46 PM

Actually, I've used it plenty of times. You just haven't crashed hard enough yet... :P

The squash plate assembly can separate causing erratic flight. Install the tool as shown and push up under the squash plate with your screwdriver (or fingers, or whatever you can get in there) to push the squash plate assembly back together correctly.

KMA6168
09-21-2009, 05:56 PM

If you don't have an eye for level or know what to look for then yes it's nessary. But if you do have a eye for level you can look at the Swashplate flybar and blades and see that it's level your good to go. I been flying my MSR for a mounth now and many minor crashes with no problems other then the blade grips and that I put a evry small amount of CA glue where the screws are and there holding up well. Any way it comes the calibration tool fot thoes that need it. :shock:

Bob

BEELZEBOB
09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Okay, so #5 is only acclicable w/ 20/20 vision lol

lets hear some more!!!

Freezebyte
09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
My lessons learned so far in two days since ownership

1. When in doubt, cut the throttle
2. If about to crash, cut the throttle
3. If there is ANY doubt, cut...the.. throttle
4. If you sense a disturbance in the force, CUT....THE....THROTTLE!!!

I took it outside for the first time and wouldn't ya know it, farking crash the mSR all around the house no damage, one crash into the ground outside and a break a blade because I HELD the throttle!

KMA6168
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Okay, so #5 is only acclicable w/ 20/20 vision lol

lets hear some more!!!

No I said an eye for "level" not 20/20/ vision. Theres a differnce. :WOW

bassplayinDude
09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
It isn't a calibration tool; it's a gapper. It properly gaps the distance between the top of the swash plate and bottom of where the blade grips attach to the main shaft. Sometimes the swash plate halves may separate and this gapper is used as a backstop so the bottom half of the swash plate can be easily pressed back into the top half.

briangp
09-22-2009, 01:04 AM
The mSR are my LHS would bind up after every crash, probably because its been abused. The flybar would not move freely, therefore it was pretty much uncontrollable. Putting the tool on it would fix it.

As for another lesson to add to the list....

Watch for your servo motors to slide upwards. I let a friend fly mine tonight and he crashed it. When it did, the whole motor slid up, completely off the gear. A quick use of a pen fixed it. Otherwise I've been flying the crap outta this thing tonight in our hangar... I STILL love it. When I get out on the grass, I think I will be able to flip it, but I'm not going to try it on the concrete hangar floor :)