PDA

View Full Version : Lepton/CC 80

bmlasater
08-18-2006, 10:05 AM
fwiw..

Wanted to use a governor on my Lepton, but was unable to get the Hyperion esc to work in that mode..Bought and installed a CC 80 with a lot of trepidation, as I've had issues with CC in the past..Set up per their instructions, the Gov. works perfectly! No hs changes or oscillation, soft start is just right, and the motor/pack stays cooler! I may go back to the 10 turn motor to see how that works!

John.

TMoore
08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm running the CC80 in fixed throttle end point mode and it works quite well.

TM

trexml
08-18-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm also using it in fixed throttle mode and it works well. I have been thinking of trying govenor mode, i am using 3s and hyperion 8 turn motor and castle 60. What are your settings?

xircom
08-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Do you guys know if auto lipo is in CC80 ? I have seen, that http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-80.html has a manual for auto lipo, and the other one isn't. I'd like very much auto lipo, as I plan to fly both 3S and 4S, and I don't like to re-program all the time ... thanks !

TMoore
08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Yes it is. It utilises a 3 volt/cell cutoff voltage.

TM

red_z06
08-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Do you guys know if auto lipo is in CC80 ? I have seen, that http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-80.html has a manual for auto lipo, and the other one isn't. I'd like very much auto lipo, as I plan to fly both 3S and 4S, and I don't like to re-program all the time ... thanks !

I would recommand setting 3v per cell manual over auto lipo unless you routinely switch number of cells in your setup. Autolipo setup depends on initial voltage to determine number of cells to calculate cutoff voltage. This works good as long as you fully charge the pack and never restart from a half charged pack ( You make some changes to setup with pack off for some reason and start again). From a half charged/drained pack, manual 3v or 2.75v per cell works better.

xircom
08-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, this is a bit dangerous, isn't it ?

An empty 4S pack may have 4 x 3.1 = 12.4V
A full 3S pack may have 3 x 4.2 = 12.6V

So in this case, a full 3S pack might be detected as empty 4S pack, even under no load ? Even worse is, if the empty 4S pack is dectected as full 3S pack - in this case, the battery would be destroyed ? Anyone idea ?

Thanks, :shock:

Hovernut
08-31-2006, 08:36 AM
On the castle esc's, when you select auto lipo, the esc beeps for each cell in series. so a 3s will beep 3 times a 4s beeps 4 times, and my 10s beeps 10 times.

It is also kind of a warning incase you hook up a pack that has not been charged fully, if you get 3 beeps and put in a 4 cell pack, something is wrong.

red_z06
08-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Usually in 3 or 4s packs, the danger of wrong cell count is slim as the voltage differnece percentage is huge when compared to 6-10s configs. This is apparent in auto cell detect charges like astro 109 as it routinely under detect cell count.

Autodetect always assumes the pack is fully charged so if you put empty 4s, it would see it as charged 3s and will not cutout until 9v. I really see no reason to set it at autolipo as it does not add any benefit other than ability to change cell count at the field but who does that?

If you are alyways using 4s then I would suggest setting it to 12v or 11v if you are aggressive. Even if you set it to 2.75v per cell, the acual cell voltage would be way above 3.5v as the esc measures voltage under full load.

xircom
08-31-2006, 09:05 AM
well who does that ... hmmm, actually I have 4 of 3S batteries home right now, and now going to add 4S because of Lepton, so but even I'd like to use both in the field, it would just be so a hassle to change the ESC settings all the time ? :roll:

red_z06
08-31-2006, 09:11 AM
xircom

Is your heli setup (gear ratio) able to take both 3s and 4s with no mechanical changes? If so, then you would be an exception and I guess your best bet is autolipo :D

In my 6s swift setup, which can accommodate 7s, I find it impossible to use 7s without changing the pinion which also require readjusting gear spacing and generally not suited for quick field change.

xircom
08-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Well, actually there is 26T and 24T, and of course it's not the same for 3S and 4S - I have no experience with this, but my feeling is, that that should not make that big difference (~8%) ?