PDA

View Full Version : Help with head setup please

ToMeToYou
10-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Okay here goes, I can get +/- 13 with this. All the links are set to the manual give or take 1mm. The washout does not line up at 50% throttle and nor does the top part ( dont know what its called ). Is there any problem with this?...Probablly is :o

Low stick:

Mid stick:

High stick:

Regards,
Jon.

EO19
10-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Shorten the short links that go to the blade grips until the arms are level. The links will be with a few mm's of touching.

Shorten the link coming from the flybar cage until the arms are level.

ToMeToYou
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Enough though the manual says different?

Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER
10-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes, consider the manual lengths a starting point.

Altec
10-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi tometoyou...I saw something that didn't look right in your pics. Mid stick last picture...

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=3458&pictureid=26856

Make sure your TX stick is at 50% (mid stick). If it is then this isn't right. I'm going by the arrows that I numbered...1 and 2 should be at a 90 degree angle. 4 and 1 should line up perfectly, see how the servo horn is off to the right a bit?, it has to line up, if they don't then you have to keep moving the servo horn around until they do. Once you fix that then 3 and 2 should line up as well.

Hope that hopes and you follow it. Good luck.

ToMeToYou
10-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Cheers, I'll change that tomorrow. Im going thought all the head again and going to reset all my settings and start again on this second hand model. Will post pics when im done to make sure ive done it right and you can take a look.

Regards,
Jon.

helical
10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Not sure how experienced of a pilot you are so I'll assume, and maybe mistakenly, that you're on the newer side...I just want to make sure that you know this...

With +/-13 collective the swash WILL bind on the washout pins on the high side and the bearing block on the low side IF enough collective and cyclic are inputed at the same time. If you're experienced enough and can manage never to do this in flight then you probably already know this. If not you may want to dial down the collective a bit and then check for binding at full collective and cyclic on both the top and bottom.

If this is already obvious to you then please ignore me. :thumbup:

Altec
10-30-2009, 06:49 PM
tometoyou, heres some pics of mine of what it is supose to look like when you have you TX at mid stick....

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=3458&pictureid=26874

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=3458&pictureid=26873

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=3458&pictureid=26875

ToMeToYou
10-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info and pictures, tonight i set up all the links on both the servos and the head, all i have left is the links at the very top which change the pitch of the blades. I will be finishing this off tomorrow night. I managed to get all servos 90 degrees and the swash level to the eye, only needing a few clicks on aileron and elevator. Keep watch on this thread as i will probably be posting some problems tomorrow night knowing my luck. ( afternoon for you ).

Thats a nice 600N LE you have there Altec, got any more pictures of her? Was thinking of getting one if i get extra hours over the christmas period at work - Being a limited edition will there be spare parts of the titanium parts if they break in a crash?

Regards,
Jon.

Altec
10-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Sure, I just uploaded some more...

http://www.helifreak.com/album.php?albumid=3458

brunsflyer
11-01-2009, 06:20 AM
used bird?

i setup my head with no links on first!

1. center the servo horn with TX @ 50. used trim or mechanical.
2. measure the distance from horn center to center of arms. different servo will change this measurement from 1mm to 2mm or less. the math cannot be wrong if both links are at this measurement! double check the arms are now at 90 too.
3. the new a-arm will help you to just check the back two links to level the swatch.

4. now i just check everything from bottom to top! make everything 90 to blade grips.

im a math guys so if you are right from the start you can get everything perfect to the top of the head.

hope this helps.

ToMeToYou
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Finished :thumbup: Ready for test flight when my KBDD paddles and tail blades arrive. Been waiting 7 working days now but stupid Royal Mail are on stike over here in the UK.

I have a few clicks here and there on the AIL and ELE and the swash mix is:

AIL: 45
ELE: 45
PIT: 55

This provides +/- 12 degrees pitch, give or take.

The arms are not perfect 90 degrees but more or less. Here are some pictures of the new setup at med stick, but as i said still needs test flight.

Med stick:

Looking good? :cheers

Altec
11-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks allot better on the aileron arms and servo wheels. There looks to be one more adjustment you should make. The Elevator servo horn may need to be adjusted, it looks high from the picture. The red arrow I added should line up with the red line that you made on your orginal pic.

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=3458&pictureid=27025

tqcookie
11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
You might want to look at the rudder linkage also. It appears as the servo wheel rotates it is contacting the linkage and causing it to bend a little.

ToMeToYou
11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Tqcookie, thanks for that. The tail servo link is not bending or binding in any way, thats just the camera making it look like that. Ive just checked it to make sure and its fine, Bind/Bend free :thumbup:

ToMeToYou
11-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Altec, Thanks once again! To say the least...

I couldn't keep the digital caliper straight, and i know the aileron arms are not exactly perfectly 90 degrees nor is the elevator arm but what is perfect in this world? :smokin:

Still waiting on my paddles and tail blades through the postal strike, rang Fast Lads and they said if they don't arrive by Wednesday afternoon i should ring them up and they will send me them out again. Now that's what i call service! :thumbup:

Thanks for all the help guys,
Jon. :cheers

Altec
11-02-2009, 05:09 PM
That looks pretty dam close Jon. Just remember to level your swash without your head on and the servos at mid stick (or at least as close as possible). I wouldn't "eye-ball" it...it's usually off by quite a bit. Like someone said earlier here, the measurements for the links in the manual are starting points. One turn will make a big difference weather or not you have to use trim.

ToMeToYou
11-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Im not going to mess with it now its all ready. Will test fly her in the garden once the post arrives...if the post arrives...then its time to give her a real maiden flight :)

Now to get some and order a 600 LE :thumbup:

Happy flying,
Jon