PDA

View Full Version : Coldest Temperature you've flown in?

Pages : 1 [2]

MKlinkerRC
11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
What I did last winter was too a cardboard box, cut two holes in the sides, put my Tx inside, threw a bunch of hand warmers in there, and rocked it like that. So essentially I was standing in the cold, flying my heli, with both hands inside a cardboard box. Looked kinda awkward.... but my hands were toasty!

Mike

mapleleafs
11-18-2009, 09:33 PM
LOL you Cunuks take your cold personal :YeaBaby:

living in Ca in the motorcycle forums im just not allowed to talk temp lol makes the cunuks go crazy lol.

I have done high 30's in the past and in the winter 40's like today is normal flying.

oh boy! just see how cranky and cabin fever i get when winter is in full effect.....its ugly :)

rcflier1
11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
wen mac .049? you must be in your 60's like me. i remember that engine and cox or testors fuel.

Navigator53
11-19-2009, 01:42 AM
wen mac .049? you must be in your 60's like me. i remember that engine and cox or testors fuel.

Yup, but you look older than me :tongue he he

Wished I could have stayed with it since the days of the .049, maybe I could fly worth a poop :mad:

AKPhill
11-19-2009, 02:01 AM
-10 here this week and flying my belt in it have flown my heli's in -20 degree weather here in Alaska we just fly when we can :cheers

rcflier1
11-19-2009, 06:34 AM
i still have some cox td .049's on the shelf.

flyinfool
11-19-2009, 08:51 AM
I might even have a couple of Wen-Macs still floating around in the basement.

Ah yes the good old days of 1/2A CL combat every weekend regardless of weather.
I still have a bunch of 1/2A combat ships ready to "rip", at least they were fast back in the 60's.lol
Yes I remember dreading having to adjust the needle in sub zero weather.

Flyextreme
11-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Grew up on Brevort Lake in Northern Michigan.

When it froze over in winter, I used to fly my Wen-Mac .049 control line Dauntless Dive bomber on the ice.

Not sure of the temps, but I know when I finally got the motor started, my freakin' hands would freeze in the prop wash especially if I had fuel on them.

I think I used Cox model airplane fuel and it smelled different than todays fuel.

I was tougher back then :o

I remember just about the same. Got a Cox line control .049 trainer for Christmas in Germany, on a mountain....had to clear out some snow to take off.....then it would just stick in it when you landed.....and sizzle. The propwash and fuel on your hands made it hard to hold the controls (U-control) that is.....oh! and if you got your cold finger popped by the prop when you were starting the motor up.....:shock:......that was about "1971".

And here in So-Cal, Dynamic Soaring on a mountain near Palmdale in the wind and snow (flurries only). Not the best conditions for flying a plane over 200 mph. You kinda want your finger nimble, and your eyes not watering.

I have some very old .049....Foxes...and who knows what else in the garage. I don't know if they can even be resurected or not.

Bill

rcflier1
11-19-2009, 11:54 AM
one of the advantages of being old[er] is having come up thru the ranks, real balsa kits, ukie, free flight and and the old single channel rc with escapements. wind the rubber band and hope it works!

Mathias
11-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Coldest temp I've flown in to date is -10 degrees Celsius or 14 degrees Fahrenheit. Good thing I have a Radio Warm transmitter mitt to keep my fingers warm. I also carry my LiPo packs in a bag filled with bottles of warm water. It really helps with the performance and longevity of the packs. :)

JasonJ
11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I can remember as a child in Wisconsin in the late 70's watching some guy fly a control line airplane. I can also remember thinking that it can't be very fun flying in circles like that. Funny, I kind of maintain that thought process, but I guess whatever works for some...

Sonny
11-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I've flown down around zero. I find that taking care of the batteries to be a PTA much below 30f. So I've got to be hard up to go much below that. It certainly happens....

jschief
11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I flew in -10 deg F. Never again, I do not feel like I learn anything flying when I can barely feel my fingers. 30 deg is the lowest temp.

Maybe if try one of thoses transmitter holders I might try it again.

alaskajeepiin
11-19-2009, 02:39 PM
i think i got yall beat... good ole Alaska -33 degrees with my trex 500. lol hands we cold untill i got my handwarmer out of the heli. was good after that!

krefi
11-19-2009, 02:57 PM
It was right around freezing with several inches of snow on the ground. So I threw down a 2'x2' scrap of masonite to use as a landing pad. Turned out to bee a little too small a target for me, and slipped off it in a landing, skids sank into the snow and tail burried in the ground. Off all things, the damage was a mounting tab on my tail servo casing broke off, being frozen brittle in the air. I don't think I'll go out in anything under 45F in the future.

JasonJ
11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I'll be keeping the pad area snowblown this winter in my personal field. That way I will be more likely to fly if I don't have to clear a spot very time I want to fly.