PDA

View Full Version : Optimum YS 50 Engine Temps?

JesusFreak
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi Guys:

Trying to get my YS50 dialed in. It feels sluggish to me, but I'm afraid of leaning it out too much. Using a temp gun, I've found references to 220 to 225 F and 90 to 95 c being good operating temps. Is there a rule of thumb for adjusting these temps for cooler ambient temps? We're in the mid 50s this week here in PA.

Thanks,
Lee

Mystic3D
11-29-2009, 09:57 PM
This is one of those "opinion" things.
After chasing temps on mixture control on my Multigov Pro, I have come to the conclusion tuning by temp is a waste of time. I went through every temp from 200 to 245 and never got my YS50 running as consistent with the Multigov Disconnected.

Other conclusion I have made is temps vary very much based upon a bunch of factors,
Ambient, Altitude, Humidity, Fuel, Engine.
The other is exactly where are "temps" measured, at the head by glowplug in flight, after landing, this can make a 30 deg F difference.
So I do check temps to make sure they do NOT go over 240 F.
I tune for max power with no tail kicking, no loss of power over time of the flight, then I richen up a click to be safe.

[X]Outlaw
11-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Mine makes good power at about 108*C. 20% cool power, FBL setup. No bogging at all!

turkana
11-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi
Well I am using a Carbsmart for about 2 years now , and found out that the engine runs best at 110 Deg Celsius. It was set and forget for me, it just works. Will not fly a nitro without it ever again.It actually showed me that my baffel in my muffler broke and I think without having it I would have killed the engine , becasue the gouvenor does not care if something came loose it just sees the Rpm and keep pushing.

Regards Pete

JesusFreak
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I was fighting some bad fuel, and that made it difficult. It's running pretty good now. Have a little more tweaking to do, then I'll give the Multigov a shot.

TmMugen
12-06-2009, 12:25 AM
YS is supposed to run hotter than OS. For me I always tune to the power band I wanted and keep it there. As long as it does not run lean, I would not care about engine temp. Imagine a ferrari engine running icy cold? LOL..

Helico-pteron
12-24-2009, 11:57 AM
About 200F temped after the blades top.

Temp is a good thing to check if you are lost during tuning, but not something to rely on.

YS do not like to be run lean.