PDA

View Full Version : Align 325 Blade vs Stock

Creaky Cactus
01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
I just replaced my stock 400 blades with Align 325 woodies. (thanks for the tips on the shims)

The difference is quite amazing. I ran two batteries last night and it is now running much smoother and much quieter. The battery life has gone up quite a bit. I was timing for 4.5 minutes (5 min to 80%) now it looks more like 9 min to 80% (running 3S 2200 Zippys).

I can't wait to get her out in the field tomorrow morning.

The Cactus

Norseman1
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow....that is amazing. Are they that much lighter? Have you weighed them out?

I have some on order...I think I will get a hurry up on them.

Thanks

Creaky Cactus
01-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't think it is the weight. I think it is (a) thinner blade and (b) better covering, but I'm still testing. I haven't done anything but a few hover tests.

The Cactus

tekparasite
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I just replaced my stock 400 blades with Align 325 woodies. (thanks for the tips on the shims)

The difference is quite amazing. I ran two batteries last night and it is now running much smoother and much quieter. The battery life has gone up quite a bit. I was timing for 4.5 minutes (5 min to 80%) now it looks more like 9 min to 80% (running 3S 2200 Zippys).

I can't wait to get her out in the field tomorrow morning.

The Cactus
So.. what's the tip on the shims?

Creaky Cactus
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Use old credit cards and yogurt lids to make shims. I'm trying a coke bottle lid next.

The Cactus

kenn_palmer
01-07-2010, 04:24 PM
You can use 1mm washers for shims as well to use the align blades but you increase the disc loading as they are shorter..
The stock b400 blades are actually about 10mm longer then the Align 325s as Eflight measures theirs from the bolt hole out to 325, and Align measure 325 from the blade root so they will be shorter and have less drag.
Also the covering on the stock blades is almost always to loose. Hijack your wifes hair dryer and put it as hot as it will go and blow over the entire blade, both sides of each blade and you'll see the covering shrinking tight. After correcting this the stock blades will run 100% better.
The aligns do typically have better balance though, and the reduced drag will give you more run time. The fixed stock blades will provide more lift as they are loger but the added weight will cut you run time per battery.

Jskrapper
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I concur. I recently switched align pro 325's. These far outshine eflite carbon fibers. Balance and cut is far superior and I am getting close to 8 minute solid hovers. Cyclic response is amazing yet handle-able.

Capt. Speirs
01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I am waiting for my Align Pro 335's, see how those are.

ingrahal
01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Here is a recent thread on this topic. (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=177910)

imq707s
01-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I would think that the profile is where you are seeing most of the benefits from...not the weight. Once you get them spinning...the weight doens't come into play as much as the profile...and home much power is required to keep them spinning. Now if you were doing lots of 3d stuff, up and down on the throttle....then the weight would play a bigger factor.

:YeaBaby:

Creaky Cactus
01-08-2010, 12:52 AM
OP here...

I figured out the perfect shim material. Perfect thickness, available everywhere.

The top of a plastic Coca Cola bottle cap is 1.5 mm thick.

(1) Drink the coke
(2) Remove the plastic cap liner
(3) Cut a circle out of the top of the cap (it has a circle imprinted on the inside already!)
(4) Drill a 1/8 inch hole

PRESTO! A perfect shim made of some really tough material.

Forget yogurt lids and credit cards. This beats 'em all.

Slyster, give it a try and if you like it... maybe add it to the bible.

The Cactus

Jskrapper
01-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I like this ^^^

Cailid
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
OP here...

I figured out the perfect shim material. Perfect thickness, available everywhere.

The top of a plastic Coca Cola bottle cap is 1.5 mm thick.

(1) Drink the coke
(2) Remove the plastic cap liner
(3) Cut a circle out of the top of the cap (it has a circle imprinted on the inside already!)
(4) Drill a 1/8 inch hole

PRESTO! A perfect shim made of some really tough material.

Forget yogurt lids and credit cards. This beats 'em all.

Slyster, give it a try and if you like it... maybe add it to the bible.

The Cactus

Can I use a pepsi lid instead? :rolling