PDA

View Full Version : MIA Upgrades

3d-wanna-b
02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Anyone use any?? I purchased the shaft collar, flybar weights and the ball link tuning kit. So far I'm not to happy. I worked for ever trying to get the shaft collar to work. I tried it like the instructions and every other way I could and it was a no go. It seemed like the collar was to long and whenI did get it on it put the piece the flybar rods hook to on the swash in a bind so I said the heck with it and re-glued the swash to the shaft(Works Way Better). Next I tried the Ball link tuning kit well like the collar that was no go either as it made the everything so stiff that you couldnt trim it correctly and wouldnt center the same everytime so I took the little o-rings off and guess what (Works Way Better) Next I try the flybar weights and again it was a no go.. after 6 battery packs trying to trim it I said the heck with those and took them off. The heli flys 100% better without the MIA upgrades I purchased. I sure hope the MIA frames and L.G's work better than the upgrades I bought.

john aeras
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
The only MIA upgrade I used was the "tuff skids" LG. They are amazing! Also indestructible, I've crashed from ceiling heights on the LG with NO damage!
Cann't comment on the upgrades you purchased as I haven't used any!:)

timewerx
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Try putting some silicone grease or WD-40 (use cotton buds to apply) to see if that frees the links a bit. And let it hang on for a while moving the swash all the while, maybe it needs a 'break in' period.

Dusty1000
02-03-2010, 06:18 PM
I sure hope the MIA frames and L.G's work better than the upgrades I bought.

I haven't tried any of the Mia upgrades, though I have heard the Mia frame is heavier than the stock frame and breaks more easily too.

Dusty

Besen
02-03-2010, 06:43 PM
John, were the tuff skids easy to install on the stock frame? It wasn't obvious to me on the MIA website. I hate the stock walkera LG.

john aeras
02-03-2010, 10:29 PM
John, were the tuff skids easy to install on the stock frame? It wasn't obvious to me on the MIA website. I hate the stock walkera LG.

They are very easy to install. They came with longer screws (which were needed!)
I removed the stock screws that held the battery cage and used the longer screws to install the LG on top of the battery cage.(the trickiest part being aligning the holes on the LG with the battery cage with the heli frame!:Slap
Hope this helps!:)

Besen
02-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I does help. Thanks much!

Besen
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
My skids should be here tomorrow or the next day. One more question John: Do you have to modify the canopy for it to fit around the LG and still stay in place?

john aeras
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM
My skids should be here tomorrow or the next day. One more question John: Do you have to modify the canopy for it to fit around the LG and still stay in place?

Hi Besen, yes you need to modify the canopy slightly. The way I did it is to dry fit the canopy and slowly cut away where the front skid supports are.
Best way to explain it is to attach some pics, so here you go!

3d-wanna-b
02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks good John... My gear should be here Wendsday or Thuresday...

robtangie
02-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey guys,
A couple years ago when I ordered my MIA skids they sold two different kinds. One was called a "Super Skid" and the other was a "Tough Skid".
I'm not sure which one mine is but it's the one they don't sell anymore... Darn shame because I think they are a better look and having the plastic tube runners are even more unbreakable than the others... Maybe Too tough, lol.
Regards,
Rob.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/karjay84/IMG_0066.jpg

3d-wanna-b
02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Those do look nice!!

Besen
02-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the pics John, very helpful. And nice customizing on the heli. Which blades are those, and do you like them better than the stock? I'm having trouble finding the stock blades at my usual sources.

john aeras
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the pics John, very helpful. And nice customizing on the heli. Which blades are those, and do you like them better than the stock? I'm having trouble finding the stock blades at my usual sources.
They are the 4#3Q blades, they are wider and provide more lift at slower head speeds.
They also look nice!:)

Steve Joblin
02-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Love the look of the stripes on the paddles! Looks like I now have a project to do on my 4#3B! :)

robtangie
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks Steve,
I've got them on the blade tips too. For flying in low light conditions (late evenings in the living room) it makes them easier to see... Thus the bright yellow color.:thumbup:
Regards,
Rob.