PDA

View Full Version : Shogun, Zoom tail finally quit

falconpilot
07-25-2004, 08:04 AM
It was very windy (15 MPH with gusts), but I decided to fly the Shogun anyway. The first take off went great! Bouncy, but great. It had been sitting in the box for a while, so the tracking was off with the stock foam blades. I tweaked a link, and started to spool up, only to find the tail was not turning. The hex on the front end of the tail shaft was not a hex anymore. This is my second tail failure. The first was the gear on the back of the shaft got loose. I CAed that and it worked great.

I guess it is time for the belt drive. I emailed the link in the trampoline thread last night. I need to make sure it will work with my brushless setup, as I have not seen any pictures.

I love this little heli! It has been flown a lot! I was waiting for this to happen. It took longer than I thought it would.

WillJames
07-25-2004, 08:06 AM
I ordered the belt drive as well. As soon as I get it I will post a bunch of pics.

Hellboy
08-26-2004, 03:29 AM
im the new guy...the shogun is my first heli

after the first flight i started hearing a loud scream and a loss of power, the noise came from the tail boom, to make a long story short the "Bearing" in the middle of the stock tail boom is actually nothing more than a brass bushing with an oversized hole drilled in it for the carbon shaft, there is also a horrible difference in the diamiters of the shaft and the inside race of the end bearings this would cause the shaft to vibrate and in turn wear grind the shaft on the inside bushing which is why black powder was found when i pulled the bushing, i found the solution new boom (comes with a real bearing) and a thin cut of shrink tubing where the carbon meets the brass pinnion.. well so much for short story...i look forward to reading your wise words to help me through my new awesome hobby....
laters all :D

Hotshot Charlie
08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Someone told me there was a gear mod for the Shogun that was a low cost mod. Instead of doing the more expensive belt-drive mod. Anyone know anything about this mod? It apparently uses a better gear set in the tail??? Inquiring minds want to know???

Spitfire_mk5
08-29-2004, 10:27 PM
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t126421p1/ ...this one?

falconpilot
08-30-2004, 06:29 AM
I ended up just replacing the tail drive shaft, and flew the snott out of it. Take a look at the post for the Performance Hobbies funfly to see who else has flown my Shogun. This is with hs55s and an SL110 on the tail. CSM micro 560, Just Go Fly motor and a CC 25 amp controler.

I put a small hole in the tail boom to lube the center bearing, as it squeels sometimes, other than that, it is stock. The only time I take the tail out is when I hit something with it. That has only been once. I don't think I will go to the belt drive. The stock setup works fine. It is a FULL 3d machine with the brushless. To see Curits Youngblood put it through it's paces was VERY COOL! Even better is it was MY machine he was flying!

Hotshot Charlie
08-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey Falconpilot,

Where in the boom did you put your "oiling" hole ??? hehehe sound sort of lude ! :shock:

hehehee "That there's funny, I don't care who ya' are !"
:mrgreen:

Spitfire_mk5
08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Have a vid of curtis flying your zoom falconpilot?

falconpilot
08-30-2004, 01:50 PM
The hole is behind the bearing, in the top of the boom to make it easy to dump oil in. I use a thin oiler, or what ever I can find and put some oil in the boom, tilt it so the bearing is below the hole, and it just runs down to the bearing.

Sorry, but no video. It was dusk, and my still camera doesen't do good video when it is that dark.