PDA

View Full Version : I thought I would fly Align forever.

Pages : [1] 2 3

fraser1818
02-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Remember this is my experience and opinion, so don't flame me. I love Align helis. I never considered flying anything else. That was a mistake. Recently I bought a Gaui 425 from www.heliflightcenter.com for a factory promotional price of $79.00. Yes the price is correct. The quality IMHO is far superior to Align. When I flew it I found myself annoyed that I had been missing out on so much because of my prejudices, This heli will fly circles around any of my Aligns IMHO. I love it, period. So I will be selling several Aligns very soon.

My next challenge was trying an Outrage 550. Here I will state that without a doubt that the quality of Align cannot compare. Design is awesome, parts quality is a +10. Flying it needs to be experienced. I out maneuvers anything I have ever flown. Stable but explosively agile if you want it to be. Here's the big catch, the 550 is much cheaper to repair than my Trex 500, and it is a much bigger heli.

This is going to be an awesome year for me.

ginnz
02-18-2010, 05:07 AM
looks like your opening your eyes! :-)

ever try a protos? or, hey, a Ghobee Phazor 600 is calling out to you as well! hahahahaaa.
or if you like the 500 size, id seriously recommend you search out an Accelerated RC Hoss X5R! ;) thats the ultimate 500 IMO! anyways, don't get me wrong, the Align 500 is a great heli, its just that, now-a-days, there all dang good birds!

have a fun year, and try not to go broke!

ginnz.

eDeK
02-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Prejudices - "quality" of primitive idi..ts ;)

Sure,there are many better helis than Align :)

Good luck with ur Gaui!

Winfred
02-18-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm in the middle of a O550 build and all I can say is that the quality of the parts are excellent and that the engineering design by Charley Stephens is just awesome. And in its class size, you really can't beat the crash cost of the O550.

ClayK
02-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Wait till you fly it.... My Outrage 550 is fast... period.... It's the correct size helicopter on 6S (or even 8S) and the head is adjustable. You can start it out slow and tweak to your liking. I remember the first time I flew one and my comment to Charley was "dang, that thing is almost too fast!".

xahhax
02-18-2010, 08:38 AM
The outrage 550 was my first non align heli.
I was expecting much more quality wise. Some parts were defect (ball link not well manufactured) and I thought some screw were really a small size. I hate 1.5mm.
Some things are missing in the kit (battery velcro strap etc) vs. align.
Finally, the plastic tail bloc was of bad quality IMHO.
So better quality than a T500 and lower size yes, but definitely not the 700 for instance.
As for the design, I really like the tail blade control, head and engine mount but I do not like the stacked frames.

ksechler
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Align makes a great Heli and the kits are well thought out. You can take an Align heli from the box to the field with a pretty good chance of ending up with something that will fly even if you have less experience. With that said, there are some better Heli's out there. Ever tried a Rave 450? Freaking awesome. Beams are nice, too. IMHO the Align Heli's have made the hobby more accessible to many people, and that's a good thing. I will most likely have at least one Align product in my stable for the foreseeable future.

Slyster
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Good thread. I am coincidentally going to maiden my 550 TODAY! I sure here good things and is a work of art. I have the Outrage FBL on it too.. what a solid piece of hardware!

Forgive me butchering it with bright colors :)

I still Align thought too!... the helis in the background are Align.. 500ESP FBL and a 450Pro.

http://www.slyster.com/heli/helifamilysmall.jpg

mightymouse
02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
I have a trex450 , a Hurricane 550 and a 425 and by far i love the 550 and 425 the mose costs wise you cant beat it and sability and relyablity is awsome. I still fly the trex but not as often as the hurricane's.
I too bought the 425 for only 79 bucks haha wow and every thing you get in that kit --I was amazed if they make any money off it. bottom line every heli has its good and bad qualitys it just depends if you want to fly spending more money or less money

Navigator53
02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey Sly, I like your color combo, especially the orange blades, just did that on my Rappy :thumbup:

Let us know how the Outrage flys in comparison to your Rex 500

When you get a chance, if you would, a side to side comparison photo of the two would be cool

I keep hearing more and more good things about the O550

Flyextreme
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I have more Aligns than anything else right now. Not because they are Aligns....but because it just happened that way. I love my Gaui 550, it flys way lighter than the Trex 500. When I shop, I never focus on just Align....there are so many others out there....some better...some not. It does seem than Align is standard to compare the others to. That's not to say Align is better....it's just that most people are familiar with Align.

I beleive Gaui (and others) are up and coming. I can't wait's to see what around the corner. If Gaui comes out with a 600 size, I will deff. be taking a very close look at that.

Bill

Slyster
02-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Outrage Fusion.... electric.... 630mm blades... coming soon! Logo 700E! Many good things coming

ScottV
02-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Slyster, I love the colors of your birds. The brighter the better in my opinion. Wait til my buddy repaints my old Knight 50, it is going to be so bright you will need sunglasses to look at it.

AlvaSpeed
02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
frasier1818.

I just ordered one of those 425.
Please let me know what blades/motor/esc, etc....you used to finish the bird.

browndog
02-18-2010, 03:48 PM
HEHE

I just did the same thing. Sheezz for 79.00 bucks...CHACHING

Blades345
02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
You want a good quality, good flying heli, buy a Logo, period! A Logo is one awesome heli. Great quality parts, and it flies amazing, especially if you can do FBL. I thought about an Outrage awhile back before the Logo, but decided against it. Heard its good though!

adam crosby
02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I too started with Align 450 and it was good to get me in the hobby, parts everywhere and pretty simple to setup.
Then I bought a Gaui 550 and it flies real nice!, very stable.
I like the trex450 but love the Gaui 550.

Adam

dubehigh
02-18-2010, 05:25 PM
i spread the welth, i just picked up my first gaui 425 from flying-hobby two weeks ago. i got it for $59.00 yes thats what i said, they were dirt cheap, i think because the EP425 v2 is dew out soon. i fly trex, swift, esky, and now gaui:Bang
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww156/dubehigh/WedFeb17210832AmericaChicago2010.jpg

Azlum
02-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Another +1 for the Outrage 550 here :)

Out of all the helis I've owned, it's been the fastest, most powerful, and most reliable. I still can't get enough of it!

Ozz58
02-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Remember this is my experience and opinion, so don't flame me. I love Align helis. I never considered flying anything else. That was a mistake. Recently I bought a Gaui 425 from www.heliflightcenter.com (http://www.heliflightcenter.com) for a factory promotional price of $79.00. Yes the price is correct. The quality IMHO is far superior to Align. When I flew it I found myself annoyed that I had been missing out on so much because of my prejudices, This heli will fly circles around any of my Aligns IMHO. I love it, period. So I will be selling several Aligns very soon.

My next challenge was trying an Outrage 550. Here I will state that without a doubt that the quality of Align cannot compare. Design is awesome, parts quality is a +10. Flying it needs to be experienced. I out maneuvers anything I have ever flown. Stable but explosively agile if you want it to be. Here's the big catch, the 550 is much cheaper to repair than my Trex 500, and it is a much bigger heli.

This is going to be an awesome year for me.

Thanks Fraser, just order one myself, I too have always thought Align had a great product and still do. It will be nice to see the differences in the kits.

Hope it will fit into my famliy of 250s and 500s.

Craig

CL2-MrZero
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Yep, I nabbed one too. I was in the market for a 500. Then I stumbled across this thread, did some research (well, not too much) and then I nabbed one.
I'm thinking to put a Scorpion 3630 1400kv in there with some nice CF blades, Hitec servos, Turnigy 6S, and then I can.........woah! I started to get carried away there.
Anyway, great thread. Glad I stopped in to read it.

lex7919
02-18-2010, 07:44 PM
+20 Great thread and better to see not all are blinded buy the Align bling, Dont get me wrong either my 500ESP will have a home for a long time to come but having just got my first nitro, An ELY Q Competition my feet are well under the non Align table now, Rave ENV next i think :thumbup:

drdispatch
02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
When I was first introduced to helis (2007), and quickly went to planks until Christmas this year, an Align Trex 450 was the end all down here.

I picked up a MSH Protos earlier and just LOVED putting it together.

My father picked up an Align Trex 500 ESP and built it last week. I also love that kit.

I dig the Outrage 550, but I've only seen/heard about it, but it looks great.

I love Mikado frames...their kits look awesome.

I hate E-sky

I wonder just what in the hell the Blade SR is about from E-Flite (joking, I get the point from a marketing perspective)

I think Align does well. Align has some great stuff. There's also much better and worse than Align.

fraser1818
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi Craig

Scorpion 3026 - 1400
Ice 100
I fly nothing but Heli Storm and Maverikk blades
They both work great on the Gaui
The reason for all the power is because for less than $100.00 I can change this to a 550 including blades. Gaui stocks the conversion.
I understand Gaui is introducing a new motor soon, I hear the present one sucks
If you have never tried Heli Storm blades, you should. They are superb blades at an economy price. Buy them and if you don't love em they take them back. No questions asked. Full refund.

fraser1818
02-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Ok I'll bite. Should I get the Protos or the Hoss. Can't afford both.