PDA

View Full Version : OMG You did what?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jungle Bob
10-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Gentlemen. I am not sure if this has been covered before and I don't get onto this site often enough to check it thoroughly. I was discussing something down on the Shogun/Zoom forum and came up with an idea. What if we were all to just swallow our pride and open up honestly to the errors we made in our 'early days' of flying. This way we could provide useful information to 'newcomers' which could save them expense and possible injury. I will start the ball rolling by confessing to connecting my battery up to a Zoom 400 whilst having the TX set on the wrong model! It took off (nope throttle hold wasn't on either!) and attacked me. Carbon blades versus flesh...not pretty and a hard lesson learned. What do you think?

broke-again
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Ouch! Could have been real nasty!

Thanks for the confession. Say 3 hail mary's and make a donation to helifreak as absolution....... :D

Next Confession please :twisted:

don_87
10-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I ain't sayin nuttin.......................mainly cause I'm still in the early days. LOL

TMoore
10-01-2006, 08:36 PM
My early days could fill a book. When you've been flying as long as I have, there have been plenty of opportunities to screw up along the way and I'm still doing it.

TM

jgunpilot
10-01-2006, 08:42 PM
My early days could fill a book. When you've been flying as long as I have, there have been plenty of opportunities to screw up along the way and I'm still doing it.

TM

I got a brand new TP ProLite and decided to put PowerPole connectors on it. Having already practiced on an old, dead battery, I knew I was up to the task. I grabbed a pair of side cutters, and deftly cut BOTH positive and negative at the same time. Smoke came from the battery, and I realized just what a stupid thing I had done. Police suspect that alcohol was involved.

BTW, TP replaced the battery for half price when I sent it in to them. Good company, great batteries.

Cryofix
10-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I armed my trex in the garage had the TX in hand walked outside to put it down and bumped my throttle stick, bird swung around and gave me a nice shot to the kids, dropped it and bent the main shaft, spindle and stripped 2 gear sets.

menaceman2424
10-01-2006, 11:27 PM
HAHAHAHA I've hade my heli for 3 weeks and I could make a huge list already lol. For starters:

I thought that the term "RTF" actually meant "RTF", but apparently it means that if you try to fly it 10 minutes after you open the box things will go horribly wrong lol:

1.Broke Carbon Blades
2.Bent Flybar
3.Bent Spindle
4.Lowered Confidence

I think "RTF" should be changed to "RTFAYOWSDCWTGHW" (ready to fly a your own risk but don't complain when things go horribly worong) lol

Jungle Bob
10-02-2006, 03:06 AM
See! I told you this thing could work! I was grinning from ear to ear when I read your submissions!!! Doesn't it make you feel humble? Keep them coming! I chose to ignore the warning on my ni-mh battery 'do not run charger from vehicle battery while driving'. So desperate was I to get my little twister ready to fly before I arrived at the field. YEP. It went bang and blew a hole in my passenger seat..scared me to death!

DebianDog
10-02-2006, 06:15 AM
One of my servos was not seeming to work right on my Rex. I saw a cool option in my radio called "servo test" knowing I had a speed controller and not a servo I put it in test mode. Good thing whn the helicopter hit my arm my other hand was able to grab the power connection :lol:

WillJames
10-02-2006, 06:20 AM
FOrgot to reverse the throtthe channel on my Camera ship, the CC HV-110 armed and spooled up, of course hold did not work, lucky I was fast on the TX and reversed the channel and all was well. Very scarry.

Rodney
10-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Started up my Bell 222 scale with a low battery, spooled it up to almost lift off and radio stopped right there. I was not letting this baby get away so I slide on the ground under it and grabbed it right at the back of body and and help it wil one hand until it ran out of fuel. Do you know how long a os 32 will run? damn it seemed like hours. That was a stupid thing to do just incase you dont know it.

edders
10-02-2006, 10:10 AM
two things for me
forgot to switch on the reciver on my shuttle started her up put her down and she started to spool up (didnt take any notice that the clutch was draging) had to leave her till she ran out of fuel that was a long time

number two I had just finished charging a nicad batt located in my rap50 and I had to charge a lipo up (7.4) set up the charger (in the house) pressed go and went to work on my other heli then I could smell burning turned round thinkin it was my lipo and saw smoke comming out of the raptor quickly picked it up threw it outside ran back in to check every thing then grabbed a pair of pliers and went to work on removign teh battery cutting allsorts of wires till O got teh battery out with bbq tongs which sat on my path hissing and bubbling for 30 mins

this was all due to using a homemade lead with more than one connector on and forgeting to remove the nicad

Finless
10-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Man Like Tmoore I have been doing this so long I probably have made every mistake in the book! Here is a recent list I guess.

Hot start? Who has NOT done one of these on a nitro? Maybe more than once?

Wrong model selected.

Plugged in someone elses lipo pack and did not check polarity of thier pack connection to the deans connector (OUCH :( )

Helped a nOOB with setup and "assumed" he also had the gyro on and gain set for idle up condition...... Flipped into idle up and PIRO CRASH.....

Put auto rotation bearing in backwards and took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong.

Stripped a servo in a crash then proceeded to rebuild the wrong servo... No crash but frustrating! See what happens when you hurry!

Bob

umran
10-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Rodney... that is awfull!!!!

rond
10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
. . .

*Put main blades on backwards
*Put paddles on backwards
*Put tail blades on backwards
*Plugged throttle servo in to mixture servo slot on GV-1...surprisingly it sorta worked (this is a recent one)
*Forgot to tighten carb drawbar, so after spoolup carburetor rotated, causing it to go to full throttle even at low stick...(I snagged the fuel line off with a broom handle, not recommended BTW)
*Forgot to verify torque tube engagement, lifted off after a rebuild, and 30 seconds later piro'ed in for another extensive rebuild
*Noticed tail acting funny in the air, landed heli straight down, walked over to it and moved the tx stick, and servos went hard over to one side without enough voltage left in the pack to return them to center (I recommend checking packs between every flight for charge status, this one had a bad cell and it failed on second flight after recharge) no damage to heli BTW = very lucky
*Had engine start backwards, so when throttled up, only tail would turn, not main rotor...this one is very cool, only happed once or twice in ten years of flying/crashing
. . .

Just a few quick ones that come to mind

heliman53
10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I used to fly at a large school playing field, went out set up and took off about three minutes into the flight the sprinklers came on! Didn't know I could fly while running backwards at full speed! Only my ground equipment got really wet and luckily no crash. Craig B

Jungle Bob
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
There must be a book written about this lot! It's great entertainment and surely therapy for us all. First flight after rebuilding my Eco 8...which I bought on ebay (described as RTF! In fact it was awful, motor shot and rusty, boom was made from a bit of chrome curtain rod painted white etc etc.) I held onto the head while testing the servo movement and kept holding onto it while I SPOOLED UP! Doh! Stripped gears...slow walk of shame back to the workshop! Worst thing...my small audience stood in anticipation of something slightly more spectacular than a fizz and whirr!!!

Ivan
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
One time there was "this guy" that forgot to flip into idle up mode and planted his ergo 60 hard enough there was a tree that grew shrinkwrapped lamanate next summer.

That same guy autoed that same ergo engine out right on top of a rattle snake. He couldn't figure out why the heli was still idling with the engine supposedly dead. He just let the snake decide when it was time to leave.

I have... er I mean he has.. done all the typical absent minded stuff as well. Like driving to a funfly 2 hours away and opening the hatch only to find that he left his transmitter at home. :arggg:

Gaza07
10-02-2006, 07:06 PM
once i left my tx in its case on the road behind the car and drove to the field luckily a neighbour spotted it and took it in :?

have caught my throttle on my trouser leg and the heli has jumped up and almost bit me

taken a model plane to the field then discovered ive brought no elastic bands to hold the wing on

this one has to be a popular one set a new leccy heli up turned it all on moved the throttle and nothng happens get to the top and the esc beeps :roll:
and then gone to drop the throttle back down :?

uselessmidget
10-02-2006, 10:00 PM
ok well i got a stupid one lol. this happened 4 days ago. I had just gotten my blade cp pro home and was going through the manual and getting it set up. while i was getting ready to adjust the blade track i had the controller resting on my leg while i plugged the battery in. after i pluged it in i set it on my table and gave it about 60% power (while the transmitter was still on my leg.) and then the obvious happens. the transmitter lands on the ground just at the perfect angle to flip non other than the idle up switch! fwoosh! SMACK! it flew to the side and hit my bed post knocking it to the ground. destroying the blades but luckly nothing else.

wren1702
10-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok, a buddy of mine who does't know much about heli's is over while I'm flying....he's looking at the transmitter and asks about all the switches and I began to show him.

This is throttle hold.
This is Gyro switch.
This is dual rate.
This is idle up switch............................................ .......WHACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right on my finger, well on it's way to 2800 RPM!

When I was showing him the switches I clicked the throttle hold switch to the off position and forgot! :roll: :roll: :roll:

You should see me check them now.

steve28
10-02-2006, 10:48 PM
when I was noob , my biggest mistake ,

I bought a fixed pitch heli . never flew right but cost alot after many hours and mods . have since converted the parts into a balde cp flys good now so it wasnt a total waste , but it did slow my progress as a competent flyer by quite some time .

Pinecone
10-03-2006, 02:51 AM
A couple of years ago, got a Piccolo V2. Decide after reading online to start with separates and high frequency tail ESC, among other things. Never did finish it. Anybody want a deal?

Finally last year, buoght a Blade CP, MUCH better way to start.

No serious Ooops with Heli, a few with planks over the years.

I used to fly nitro planes many years ago. First time with electric, I crashed, but with nitro when you crash the engine stops, no big deal. So I didn't drop the throttle to cut off. Walked over to the plane, and picked it up and the motor was making wierd sounds. 1 each cooked motor.

Dan MacKay
10-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Having only been at this since June I only have a couple that jump to the for. A little history. My wife bought me a Raptor 50 for my birthday (never having flown a helicopter at all, I had just metioned to her that I would like to try it! God love her..) After I built it and did some reading I realized that this was not exactly a starter bird so I bought a Blade CP. Here is where the fun begins.

Situation one: RTF out of the box...Took it out of the box, charged it up and went flying for about 30 seconds of bouncing, a little more collective, 5 seconds of wildly uncontrolled flight and off to the LHS for a lengthy repair list and (this is the important part so pay attention) a set of training gear. Lesson # 1: No matter what the heli get training gear put them on and leave them on until you have full control of the bird and feel comfortable.

Situation two: The day after lesson 1...bird repaired just finished doing the blade set up and first tracking adjustment. I was just about to go outside and test fly the posessed beast, walked into the kitchen with it armed, reciever on. Set it on the counter turned the txm off, walked back into the livingroom to grab my coat and the next thing you know I heard Damian (the 'copters nickname) taking a test flight around the kitchen at full collective. A the news reports indicated a fair amount of collateral damage this time to include a demolished ceiling light fixture, three bulbs, two nice gouges out of a wall and nice dent in the fridge. Off to the LHS for and extensive list of heli parts, off to the hardware store for paint, light globe and bulbs, Polyfiller and a fridge magnet to secure the piece of paper over the dent in the fridge. Lesson #2: Never, ever, ever turn your txm off befor you disarm your heli.

Situation 3: This is the real scary one. Here is your man a couple of weeks later, getting fairly comfortable with hovering Damian (you remember Damian...the possessed little heli from the previous lessons?) and driving him around the neighbourhood. Well I realized very quickly that Damian is just indeed a toy heli and that I likely could benifit from training with something in the intermediate range...like a TREX 450SE. So I went out and aquired one. Now remember I have no experience at all with a real radio (a Futaba 7CHP) or and ESC. I had the TREX fully assembled (blades on 325 Pro Woodies) on the table, on a pedestal so the blades were at eye level. My intention was to set up the ESC and then do a rough adjust on the tracking. As soon as I mentioned setting up the ESC, those of you who are familiar with Futaba radios likely could predict what happened next. As per the instructions for the ESC I positioned the collective in the high postion, turned the radio on, plugged in the heli and as soon as the calibration beeps came on moved the stick to the low position. This is where all hell broke loose. The bird took off in my dining room at full throttle six inches from my eyes, straight into the chandelleir, decided at that point to have a little closer look at the china in the china cabinent, then fell shuddering to the floor after whacking me in the back of the head for helping choose such and ugly pattern. What saved me was that when Damien II hit (and shattered) the glass door of the china cabinet the battery dislodged and unplugged, thank God! Off to the LHS for an extensive list of repair parts and to the hardward store for repacement glass, wood putty and matching stain. As for the china I never liked it anyway so I just rearranged to broken pieces so they are not visible and will not be in hot water with my wife unless we have more than nine people show up for our next diner party. The problem with the bird? Well no where in the radios literature can I find that with Futaba the throttle channel is reversed by default so when I placed the collective in the high position it was really the low position and it armed. My lack of exerince did no know the difference between the programming audio cue and the armed sound so when I went to the low position it was actually full collective! Lesson #3: These mid sized helicopters are tremendously powerful machines. Never do any set up work with the ESC hot with the blades on. I got off very, very lucky here. Remeber when I said that this was at eye level? A friend of mine took mulitple lacerations to his left shin that required a total of sixteen stitches when he drove his 450XL with carbon blades into himself while practicing nose in flight. It could have just as easily been my face that this thing jumped into which is not a particularly nice thought.

So above all else my advice to the newbie (and I consider my self still one) is no matter what the size of the bird, and despite what the manufacturer says about RTF right out of the box etc, treat these things with respect and caution.

Dan

Tonystott
10-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Had a good one the other day. Got my Trex in the hover and all of a suddeny the nose dropped and off it went into FFF just above the ground, not responding to the controls. Luckily the trajectory was just below horizontal, so a blade caught a tuft of grass and the thing imploded (well chopped the boom in half etc etc)

Got home and turned it on - nothing. Had a closer look - no crystal!

Back at the field, there is was, the crystal. It had dropped out of the Rx just as I started hovering!

So lucky the trajectory was below horizontal.. a bit higher and it would have been a flyaway, as it flew straight as die (well trimmed eh? :D)

Guess who now tapes his crystals in firmly!