PDA

View Full Version : Should I spend the $130 on Sonix head/tail for my blade or not?

dma251
02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
So here's where I'm at - I am flying my Blade 400 a lot learning to hover and nose-in, and don't crash that often anymore, but it still happens. I recently had a big one, and have to replace a lot of parts including the frame.
I really like the Blade 400, and although I plan on starting to build up a TREX 700 on the side, I still want to use my blade as my training heli.

I have heard good and bad about the CNC parts, but I am also tired of stripped screws in some of the plastic bits, and wouldn't mind throwing a little money into the CNC stuff if it is actually better, either in durability, or precision and less vibration, etc.

What do you guys think that have used the Sonix stuff? Is it worth spending, or is it a waste and I should just stick with the cheap plastic stuff....

T/CHunter2009
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Sonix Head n' tail: I personally don't have that set up but if I were going to go for Bling for the simple fact of having a better flying Heli. I would go with the Sonix Head and tail unit. 100% sure about it. All others don't compare from the reading I have done. I sure the guys here will ring in soon and give you there opinions . If you really love the Blade 400 and plan to own it for many years to come. Then It is definitely worth the upgrade. Don't skimp on aftermarket junk. There was once a discussion about the different brands of Bling on a post here . I'm sure you can find it in a search. Might be worth reading. If your going to do it ,do it all. Make it the best heli you can out of it. Once you are done with it, it will be better or at least as good as the Trex 450 ES v2. Good luck ; post some pics when it is done. :thumbup:

T/CHunter2009
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=1865155#post1865155

Punkin71
02-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I have learned not to waste too much money on metal so called upgrades, my 400 didnt fly any better with all eflite metal upgrades so now I'm back to all plastic other than eflite tail blade grips. that money is better spent on batteries quality blades and electronics.

whoanelly
02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
I have learned not to waste too much money on metal so called upgrades, my 400 didnt fly any better with all eflite metal upgrades so now I'm back to all plastic other than eflite tail blade grips. that money is better spent on batteries quality blades and electronics.

I would agree with you on the eflite cnc,,its all show,,and no go.but if u try the sonix stuff you will have a vibration free bird that feels brand new,,you will def notice a difference,,ill never buy anything else.

KJones
02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
+1 on sonix head and tail. Made my b400 alot more stable.

T/CHunter2009
02-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Like I said from my first response, that Sonix is they way to go. But for me . My Blade 400 is a stepping stone. Great Heli to learn on , easy and cheap to repair after a crash. Great way to get to know and learn your way around heli's and what knowledge it takes to keep them in tip top shape. Now my goal is to upgrade to a Bigger and Top of the Line Heli. If you plan to keep your Blade 400 for a long time and really enjoy hopping it up and adding some stuff to make it as good or better than the Trex 450 . Than you should definitely start of with the sonix Head and tail and then go with C.F blades. A better canopy, and of course last but not least , Top notch servos and a real good gyro. Servos and Gyro will help to make it a much better fly-er for sure. If you are still running stock electronics that would be my first choice.

fast400
02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
i dont know what it is about the sonix`s cnc, but its got to be magic.
i have had the e-flite, microheli, and some cheaper knockoff cnc, none of it performes like the sonix`s.
i cant see any thing mechaniclly different, but can see a huge quality difference. maybe this is where the magic comes from.

T/CHunter2009
02-24-2010, 07:43 PM
i dont know what it is about the sonix`s cnc, but its got to be magic.
i have had the e-flite, microheli, and some cheaper knockoff cnc, none of it performes like the sonix`s.
i cant see any thing mechaniclly different, but can see a huge quality difference. maybe this is where the magic comes from.
Fast ; check out the link that I put up , . I posted a few clicks up. Nice video and it tells the story. Whoanelly did a spot on job of that. :thumbup:

supra6
02-25-2010, 12:13 AM
If the Blade will just be a stepping stone then I would stay with the stock head but use one of the cncheli tails.
The stock head is actually pretty good just put on a set of extreme turnbuckles and hobbyking cf blades, you'll need to shim them on the stoch head.
As for the tail I like the black Beam styled tail myself, good control and easy maintenance, the pro tail is a nice bit of kit but has a few issues, weight and you can drive the slider over center and it will lock up, so double check your limit setting on the gyro.

soangp
02-25-2010, 01:41 AM
This situation is very interesting because I'm also a noob who went the B400 route as a stepping stone. However, my blade quickly transformed to what use to be a B400. Now when I look at my heli, I wonder if I should have just purchased a trex super combo kit etc.. With all the money put into the B400, I hope my B400 is now a better kit than the trex 450? Either way I'm still satisfied with the B400 because it forced me to learn everything I can to make the heli fly right. I sometimes wonder if I enjoy working on it more than flying it. So to answer the question, a completely modded B400 with new electronics and cnc components creates a machine that not only looks great(bling) but now has form and function.

teb1963
02-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi, ive been reading a lot about the Sonix upgrades, what i would like to know (from someone who has or had both) is the Trex 450 a better flyer than the 400 is with the upgrades. I have chance to sell my 400 and i just want to make the right call. Thanks,Terry

fast400
02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
the blade400`s worth is up to the owner.
does the blade400 fly like a t-rex? ofcourse not, the blade is way lighter.
the blade being lighter makes it more agile, being more agile means its more responsive.
the t-rex is heavier, so its easier to fly.
i have the blade and a t-rex clone. after i put a few batteries through the clone it takes a few uht oh`s and damn that was close before i tame the blade again.

the blade400 reacts so much faster to stick inputs compared to my clone.

which heli is better? i like them both, so i dont have a favorite.
the clone will fly in a stronger wind than the blade, the blade being so light gets knocked around more.
the blade400 is faster, more responsive, and more likely to pull out of a oh crap move over the clone. the clone being heavier needs more space to recover.

i`ll tell you this.
if you can fly the blade400 and i mean good sport and mild 3d flying, you can fly any heli.

dma251
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Okay, one other question regarding these tails -

I have read on the other similar posts also about this Beam styled tails. Is this it?

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-1408/Eflite-Blade-400-CNC/Detail

which is the one to get?

fast400
02-25-2010, 12:23 PM
the tail in the link is a good one.

Darth Nigel
02-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Minor dumb question.

How do the stock servos manage with the heavier CNC Sonic head? Does it put more of a load on them?

Yeah, I know the stock servos suck, are made by small children in sweatshops and have been known to cause global warming, but since I have a box of them...

fast400
02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
i would say the sonix would be to much for the stock servo, even though the sonix`s moves pretty smooth.

helidaho
02-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I just got the sonix tail and put it on tonight after work then took it for a spin right as the sun was going down and WOW, what a difference. A lot less vibrations and the tail seemed better although that was probably also a function of my bumping up the gain on the gyro a little. I didn't have time to do much but it had a lot less vibrations!

One thing to note, the stock vertical stabilizer tail fin doesn't line up with the mounts of the sonix tail assembly so you'll need to get their vertical tail fin as well as I just found out this evening.

Unless I did something wrong? Which I wouldn't be surprised, you should see some of the other "oops" I've done with this thing :oops:

fast400
02-25-2010, 11:10 PM
e-flite`s fins dont fit anything but e-flite.
but you can take a drill bit like i did and elongate the holes, it`ll fit then
you can run higher gains with this cnc tail, everything about the tail case is tighter, even the blade grips.

Capt. Speirs
02-26-2010, 12:25 AM
the blade400`s worth is up to the owner.
does the blade400 fly like a t-rex? ofcourse not, the blade is way lighter.
the blade being lighter makes it more agile, being more agile means its more responsive.
the t-rex is heavier, so its easier to fly.
i have the blade and a t-rex clone. after i put a few batteries through the clone it takes a few uht oh`s and damn that was close before i tame the blade again.

the blade400 reacts so much faster to stick inputs compared to my clone.

which heli is better? i like them both, so i dont have a favorite.
the clone will fly in a stronger wind than the blade, the blade being so light gets knocked around more.
the blade400 is faster, more responsive, and more likely to pull out of a oh crap move over the clone. the clone being heavier needs more space to recover.

i`ll tell you this.
if you can fly the blade400 and i mean good sport and mild 3d flying, you can fly any heli.

So, If I put my scale fuse on and some weight to balance the CG, then it should fly like a TRex?:clappp

fast400
02-26-2010, 12:42 AM
So, If I put my scale fuse on and some weight to balance the CG, then it should fly like a TRex?:clappp

im not sure. :hug:
but the added wieght will stablize the blade alot.