PDA

View Full Version : Making woodies fit the Sonix head - safe????

Darth Nigel
03-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I installed my Sonix cnc head on my much-repaired Blade 400 last night. After getting all the fiddly bits aligned, I discovered that the woodie Eflite blades (EFLH1415A) don't fit; neither do the CFs. :(

However... if I take off the wee black plastic "shoulder" pieces, I can slide the wooden blades in.

Is this a good idea?
Are the shoulder pieces just to provide thickness or are they structural?
Am I in (more) danger of the woodie shearing at the mounting hole?

(I have seen TwistFish's link http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=198434 but didn't want to derail that thread)

Cailid
03-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Never heard of anyone using the eflite blades without the plastic piece. I think you'd be better off using the align woodies. They're thinner than the eflite as well as better quality for the same price.

schoep
03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
If you take the plastic off you should first up all of your insurance!

n6nev
03-12-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.xheli.com/60p-pro-3252.html
this works great for me :)

whoanelly
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
+1 any blade should work except the eflite woodies,,i wouldnt,,especially if you dont have a dental plan..

rowdyjoe
03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I had a very bad experience with plastic blades last year and haven't used them since. Evidently, there was a hairline crack at the blade grip bolt hole and it separated when the heli spooled up for flight. Both blades came off at high head speed. Fortunately, nobody was hurt but, it scared the #@$#$ (#@$#$) out of me.
I've been buying fiberglass blades from eHirobo for approx. $6.50 a pair (plus shipping) and have had good luck with them. They will require balancing but, they are more durable and worth the money.

RJ

Tommygunn
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Do not remove material from the blades. Major potential for structural failure.

I had the same issue with my cnc sonix grips. Even the Align 335 Pro woodies were tight. However, most CF blades fit perfectly. I don't bother with the Eflite woodies. Bad blades.

What I did was take a dremel to the grips and removed about .001 - .002" from each side of the grip. Measure it before and during the removal process and take only the minimum amount needed off equally. I have three sets of Sonix grips and two of the three needed this done. The third seems fine. Why? Dunno. :dontknow

Darth Nigel
03-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the input. I may be out the cost of some blades but it's probably cheaper than restorative dentistry.

Cheers
Nigel