Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GV-1 Question...???

I just got a Futaba GV-1 and it seems slow responding to the rpm's changes... Any thoughts..??

Thanks in advance.

Carlos.
- FUTABA 10C
CHAMO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thats how the GV1 works!!

there are a set of hidden codes and in there you can tweak the ramp up speed, but I have never gone into them myself.

In particular, these are the two settings you would need to tweak.

DlUP 3S Delay when raising speed - allow N seconds to reach new speed
DlDN
5S Delay when lowering speed - allow N seconds to reach new speed

http://www.tc99.com/rc/futaba/Futaba.htm

Now you mention it I may just try this out myself, can't really see the reason for the delay.

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Those are for when you change flight modes.

He's saying that it doesn't hold rpm well, and its a mediocre governor, no where near as fast as the multigov or any other number of modern governers that are smaller, lighter, easier to program, work better, are half the price, and don't need an expensive sensor.
http://www.jaxrc.com
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I responded to his duplicate question in the main forum.

What some people are seeing is the GV-1 tends to lower the throttle too much when the head is unloaded. What you can do is trick the GV-1 from not reducing throttle too low buy using a higher low throttle stick when programming the GV-1 and teaching it high and low throttle positions. When programming low throttle position just bring the stick down to say 1/3 instead of all the way down. If it is still going to low then program again and increase the low stick position until you get it where you like it.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

What some people are seeing is the GV-1 tends to lower the throttle too much when the head is unloaded. What you can do is trick the GV-1 from not reducing throttle too low buy using a higher low throttle stick when programming the GV-1 and teaching it high and low throttle positions. When programming low throttle position just bring the stick down to say 1/3 instead of all the way down. If it is still going to low then program again and increase the low stick position until you get it where you like it.

Bob
Great idea, I had this problem but changed to a different governor (wish I had of thought of this first)!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

after flying the GV-1 for almost a year I just changed the gear ratio to 8.85 today and achived a HS of just around 2200, the OS55 was right at home and kept the power band like a champ.. this video is before the change and it was holding well then, but now it really rips.. just need shoot a video and I'll post the after by late this week if weather holds thanks Bob and others.. I didn't need to adjust the throttle setting as the response time was right on point.
CHAMO what throttle servo and speed are you currently running? I had a 9650 on there then switched to a 9257 (made my own mini servo template out of tackle box devider, flexible and fuel resistant)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPQAj8JTwQ[/ame]
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't understand how changing the gear ratio would help with the slow response... Can you explain a little? I was looking into the "secret" menu of the GV-1 but I am afraid of tweaking because I don't really know what those settings are for... For example the delay up and the delay down, I think I am going to decrease those to see if the response is a little faster... I am using for throttle a futaba bls-452 ( 0.14 sec - 195 oz ) but I am thinking maybe upgrade to something faster... I really want to keep trying because I like the display of the GV-1 when I can check many things including the voltage ( I am using perfect regulator and need something to tell me the actual voltage )... Anyways any help I will really appreciate it.

Carlos.
- FUTABA 10C
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

by upping the gear ratio your head speed will increase . allowing a little buffer room for the engine to stay in its power band.. as for your throttle servo that is over kill in torque, but not enough response speed. you don't need more than 30-40 oz of torque, but want response speed of about .08 or faster. to ensure the headspeed stays up.
I really like the GV and will not mess around with the secret menu. it has held as good as any of the limiters / govs out there. I've tested the Align Gov, Rev lock, and curtis
all held just as well with a good throttle servo.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know the torque of the servo is overkill and the speed is not enough but it was the only one I had at hand for throttle... I think I am going to put another 8717 for throttle and make them 4... Hope that helps a little with the issue I am having...
- FUTABA 10C
Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

Bob
I was thinking about giving this a go but it plays havoc with my Switchglo setup, I have my switchglos pluggged into the mixture servo of the GV1 and when you set the idle limit high then the only time you can engage the SwitchGlo is at the throttle setting you taught the GV1 to be idle.

It might be time to try out another method of engaging the SwitchGlo, although I don't seem to be having an issue with slow throttle response on my 600.

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

CHAMO, If you do what Bob recommended you will see a difference in delay, You will notice it. Even though it's milliseconds it's noticeable. I am using a Jr DS3500G mini with .07 speed on a 50 and 90 size helis. I did this a while back and it works.

You don't need to mess with your gear ratio unless you feel you want more head speed. The reason Tick77 changes his gear ratio on his GV1 is because he wanted faster head speed than GV1 is capable (2100) max and you cannot achieve a 2200 head speed with 2100 limit.
You have to change your GR on the GV1 other than what it really is to achive a higher HS. Not only that you need +- 30~50 rpm for the governor to work properly.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAMO View Post
I know the torque of the servo is overkill and the speed is not enough but it was the only one I had at hand for throttle... I think I am going to put another 8717 for throttle and make them 4... Hope that helps a little with the issue I am having...
What makes you think you need a servo that fast on the throttle??

.14 is plenty fast
http://www.jaxrc.com
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
What makes you think you need a servo that fast on the throttle??

.14 is plenty fast
That's what the people are suggesting...!!! If I change the throttle servo and my problem persist I think that the GV-1 is just not good enough...!!!
- FUTABA 10C
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not the GV1, But if you want to spend your hard earned money that's fine. That would suck if you went out and got something else and it ended up doing the same thing.
The throttle response is 20ms's I don't think I can even move my sticks from corner to corner that fast.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona007 View Post
It's not the GV1, But if you want to spend your hard earned money that's fine. That would suck if you went out and got something else and it ended up doing the same thing.
The throttle response is 20ms's I don't think I can even move my sticks from corner to corner that fast.
I will give it a try for sure, I will change throttle servo and I will let you know the results... I hope it works because I want to use the GV-1, I like it even when is not giving me good results... yet...
- FUTABA 10C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in