PDA

View Full Version : Glass Fibre Blades are too thin

ginger-air
03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I've bought some replacement blades via e-bay, but they are much thinner where they bolt to the brade grips than the stock eflite ones?

Should I pack then witha washer or can I tighten the blade grip to reduce the slack (doesn't really sound like a good idea)?

CobraDriver
03-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Definately shim them with washers or make washers from an old credit card.

Kevo450
03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
I've bought some replacement blades via e-bay, but they are much thinner where they bolt to the brade grips than the stock eflite ones?

Should I pack then witha washer or can I tighten the blade grip to reduce the slack (doesn't really sound like a good idea)?

How thick of a gap are you talking about ?? anything more then about 1/32nd ~ 1/16 of an inch ( about the thickness of a cd or two ) and I would double check that you have the proper blades ( how well do you trust the seller ?? are you confident that these are the proper blades for your heli ?? )

One simple thing would be to put the bolt in and tighten down on it a bit without a blade in it. This should tighten it up a slight amount.

Just dont go crazy and destroy the grips ..

Woody_99
03-21-2010, 06:49 PM

You need to make some shims to take up most of the gap. Plastic milk carton material works, credit cards, or some sites sell shims.
I think I've had to use shims with all blades other than the eflite ones.
Don't stress the blade grip by over tightening to take up the gap.
Hope this helps!

Sylver
03-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Would taking the shims off stock b400 woodies and cutting the second hole off work as a decent shim? I have thousands of broken woodies.

T/CHunter2009
03-22-2010, 10:25 AM
:lolol:OK Thousands. LOL

Sky1trek
03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Some people have taken the shims off broken E-flight woodies. It's standard practise to use shims on both sides on non E-flight blades if they are too narrow - credit card, milk cartons, plastic lids off 250 millilitre or so containers.

It's not recommended tightening down the grips even a little bit - you are unduly stressing them.

Lots of stories about people not using shims and verticle play ripping the head apart.

Sylver
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
:lolol:OK Thousands. LOL

Not all of them due to crashes either! I ruined one blade the other day by accidently sitting on it. Now I have the same issue as Ginger, I need a few shims to fit the new ones (http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6017/blades.jpg) I got in the post.

ginger-air
03-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys, plastic milk bottles it is, or ice cream tub. I think credit cards will be a little brittles, plus it's harder to order spares once they are cut up:rolling, although I think that would be the wifes preference!!

fast400
03-22-2010, 06:19 PM
if you have a old credit card laying around i would use it for shims, its the perfect thickness. i have been useing the same ones i cut from a credit card for atleast two years.