PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint for my Canopy?

Pages : [1] 2

byhsu
10-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi:

I just got a clear canopy from Align. Now I would like to paint it. I know that most likely the paint will go inside, since the plastic is clear and it probably will act as protection for the paint. What type of paint to I need to paint this canopy and where could I get it?

Thank You.

kgfly
10-15-2006, 04:07 AM
I use the Tamiya lexan paint, normally sold for painting the inside of R/C car bodies. It bonds to the plastic without an undercoat and is quite flexible so doesn't crack or flake off (at least not so far).

I painted mine on the outside as I am too lazy to do it from the inside. I then used 3 coats of Tamiya clear coat after I applied the stickers.

Process:

1) Sand with 1200 wet+dry or grey scothbrite to remove all shine
2) Wash with mild soap to remove all dust and oil/grease from hands. Dry thoroughly.
3) Apply multiple light coats to build up the colour. No sanding between coats. Allow to dry 24hrs
4) Apply stickers. Allow to dry 24hrs
5) Apply 3 top coats, no sanding between coats. Allow to dry 24 hrs.

Ken448
10-15-2006, 11:31 AM
You let stickers dry for 24 hrs???????????????

And you are waiting a bit too long to apply the clear coat. 48hrs after color is quite a bit without scuffing it first. Lexan paint usually dries to the touch in 30 mins, and is cured within a few hours. You are far too patient LOL

byhsu
10-15-2006, 02:59 PM
KGfly:

Great looking canopy. Did you have to cut something from underneath the canopy? I noticed you cut a hole on the sides.

Also, I want to paint the inside, so the paint won't get scratch up. do I need to sand the inside first? or can I just wash the canopy and dry thoroughly before I apply the spray paint?

Thanks.

flymike
10-15-2006, 03:16 PM
I normaly dont like just blue but that metalflake lookes great.

jgunpilot
10-15-2006, 04:29 PM
kgfly,

Great looking canopy. What type of landing gear cross tubes are those?

kgfly
10-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys :)

bhsyu:
Great looking canopy. Did you have to cut something from underneath the canopy? I noticed you cut a hole on the sides.
The white canopy is all I have ever worked on. It has grooves for those cutouts in the cheeks and under the chin. I don't think they are mandatory. They let some air flow through the canopy to help cool the battery/ESC. I'm not sure how effective or important that is. The chin cutout can also be used for getting access to the battery connector, depending upon your electrics layout and cable lengths.

Also, I want to paint the inside, so the paint won't get scratch up. do I need to sand the inside first? or can I just wash the canopy and dry thoroughly before I apply the spray paint?
I have never seen the clear canopy myself but I think that if the inside surface is shiny then the paint won't stick properly and it will need to be sanded. I guess at worst, if the inside paint job doesn't work out you can always do an outside paint job to cover it up. Painting from the inside does have the advantage of not getting outside scratches and having the natural gloss finish of the shiny plastic. I guess there is a small risk of scratches from the battery, cables/plugs or the mounting posts. Working with spray cans rather than an airbrush, I just don't have the skills or patience to paint on the inside, it's a rather small canopy after all.

If you end up painting from the outside on a clear canopy I imagine you will save paint if you put a white coat down (either on the inside or outside) to give a solid base for the colour. This isn't needed on the white or yellow canopies which are opaque anyway.

Be sure to post a photo back here when you are done so we can admire your work :)

jgunpilot
Great looking canopy. What type of landing gear cross tubes are those? They are home made. See this thread: http://helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=17877&highlight=

Efliernz
10-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Kenneth, it looks great.

How is the orietation of the blue canopy against the sky (or it is always cloudy in Mebourne). I'm going to try your painting system on the window section of my yellow canopy only with the blue flake. The yellow makes a huge difference on a cloudy day compared with the basic white + stickers.

I broke my original 1 year old canopy two weeks ago. I was going to paint it... and then there were too many pieces of it :roll:

Squirrlybird
10-15-2006, 06:41 PM
It isn't good for clear canopies, but what works for me is the permanent marker approach.

First I color it in like my 3 year old daughter, then I go back and dab at it to remove all the streaks. Works lik a champ.

Efliernz
10-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Squirrlybird

excellent idea, :idea: :idea: :idea: I will get my 9 yo daughter to do it for me :smokin:

kgfly
10-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Kenneth, it looks great.

Thanks Peter :)

How is the orientation of the blue canopy against the sky (or it is always cloudy in Melbourne). I'm going to try your painting system on the window section of my yellow canopy only with the blue flake. The yellow makes a huge difference on a cloudy day compared with the basic white + stickers.

Cheeky bugger :D Orientation seems to be my biggest problem. It doesn't blend in to the sky at the distances I fly (< 30m). It's either a dark silhouette if against the light or sparkly blue with the light behind me. I try to always fly with the light behind me. Mosty though at the moment I tend to save the blue canopy for indoor use and fly my dayglo orange training canopy for outdoors.

I presume you are not going to cut out the windscreen section, just paint it, which should work fine. I used the Tamiya metallic blue. I don't think painting the smoky windscreen would work too well as it is so thin and flexible.

Efliernz
10-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Cheeky??? At least didn't mention the wind or trees , oh. sorry... :oops:

I haven't cut out the canopy. I'll just paint it as you say (or use a marker). Especially now that I am throwing it around, I don't want to spend hours working on it to look pretty.... it still breaks... :roll:

vadimr
10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
I use the Tamiya lexan paint, normally sold for painting the inside of R/C car bodies. It bonds to the plastic without an undercoat and is quite flexible so doesn't crack or flake off (at least not so far).

I painted mine on the outside as I am too lazy to do it from the inside. I then used 3 coats of Tamiya clear coat after I applied the stickers.

Process:

1) Sand with 1200 wet+dry or grey scothbrite to remove all shine
2) Wash with mild soap to remove all dust and oil/grease from hands. Dry thoroughly.
3) Apply multiple light coats to build up the colour. No sanding between coats. Allow to dry 24hrs
4) Apply stickers. Allow to dry 24hrs
5) Apply 3 top coats, no sanding between coats. Allow to dry 24 hrs.
What kind of a landing gear is that?

kgfly
10-15-2006, 10:47 PM
What kind of a landing gear is that?
They are home made from a design by Tonke. See this thread: http://helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=17877&highlight=

Note: Get his second set of plans from near the end of the thread, they have a correction.

Efliernz
10-16-2006, 02:07 AM
Squirrlybird

It worked, it worked.
Black marker on yellow looks awesome and shiny :noteworthy :noteworthy :noteworthy

kgfly
10-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Photos Peter, we want photos :glasses2:

Efliernz
10-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Photos, well here it is. Still has original tail feathers from 12 months ago. I'll get the yellow set this week. Almost a stock XL HDE + 450TH.

It loops well Kenneth :glasses2:

kgfly
10-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Looks good Peter. Is that with a clearcoat or just au naturale ?

I see you chose not to cut out the cooling holes in the cheeks either. Is that an aesthetic choice, a functional one or just couldn't be bothered ?

Original tail feathers, now that's an achievement indeed. I gave up replacing mine. I have just the centre of a horizontal fin as the mounting point for the boom stay clamp and an aluminium-reinforced vertical fin that has survived many a tap on the ground now.

byhsu
10-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I am having trouble finding paint for the clear type canopy, as I don't know what material it is, anyone have any ideas? I got the canopy part # HS1068 Thanks

Ken448
10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?&C=RHF&V=PAC

Pactra Polycarb you are painting clear Lexan

byhsu
10-16-2006, 02:12 PM
So I need to get paint for policarbonate material then? I wen to the hobby shop and they gave me a Tamiya paint not for polycarbonate, but for ABS. it was TS-47.

Thanks, I will go and exchange it for the Pactra.

Efliernz
10-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Kenneth, its natural pure black permanent marker. You have to be quick and try to get it right first time. Touch-ups "melt" the ink underneath and you struggle to get a blemish-free finish. Mine looks great... at 1 meter. Not so crash-hot close up. It pales into crappyness compared to yours. I'm getting closer to a T600... a few more months... I'll do a decent job on that machine. No markers...

Holes not cut out - the battery is not hot and neither is the 450TH so I didn't bother. There is a scoop underneath the front where the battery lead comes out to join the ESC lead. I find it easier that way than taking the canopy on/off will sitting on the grass.

Squirrlybird
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Glad it worked for you!

Nail polish remover and elbow grease should clean up any mistakes. I even used a red marker on the sides. The red came out with some streaks, but it still looks great considering it is just going to get trashed eventually. Especially with me behind the sticks. :mrgreen: lower,lower,lower....EEEEK!!!

kgfly
10-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Nail polish for colour or as a gloss coat over the top ?

zooland1
10-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I then used 3 coats of Tamiya clear coat after I applied the stickers.

Haven't painted my rex, but here is my Caliber 30 I did last week.

I was going to clearcoat it with laquer to help keep the nitro from getting to the paint. Do you think the Tamiya clear coat would work?