PDA

View Full Version : Need to push on or give up!

mak24seven
04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi, i started this hobby 3 years ago green as a green thing, fuelled from the start by my partner buying me a little contra heli for christmas, night after night i was out there like a kid trying to learn to ride a pushbike i pushed on into the dark side, this sucker was not gonna beat me :roll: , little did i know what addiction was instore for me in the future and with hindsite I may have stopped there lol, any how i tamed the little sucker after 4 weeks and wonted more so off to the local model shop i went ( old school and not heli freindly) and purchased his best peice of crap all in one c/p heli :shock:, man was i shocked when i pulled the manual out and sore words like throttle curve and pitch....... this thing was not to be mistaken for a toy and i was now in the mens league:badair: , day after day my heart beat sored and my legs wobbled as i got to grips with this animal :o, all i ever wonted to do was hover, flight was but a dream that those 3d blokes did that i had heard about,
The weeks went buy shore as my wallet got lighter until one day i could hover, the perfect hover, after that more helis, (electric) came and went and the skys opened up, before the 6 months where out loops and rolls where the order of the day, soon bored of my new tricks i moved on and upward each trick conquered i moved on untill one day i hit a wall :arggg: . O yes, this wall is big, my little bag of tricks i could of only dreamed about ( inverted hover, pie dish, tic toc's inverted circuits and the usall sport flying stuff) bore the hell out of me now and look back on those early days as the most intense exciting times of the hole hobby, I stopped flying for a year and put the helis on the shelf and the hobby in the back of my mind as one that beat me :confused: . If any one is still with me i apologies for the long post but it gives a little insite to where i am at and how i got hear.
I have just purchased a vibe 50 and intend to get the bug back ( i must be mad) after watching your guys flying on the vids section they are insine :thumbup: how the hell do i brake through onto the next level from where i am and what should i be aiming for, i have a trex 500 for my hack and yes i know this year is going to be expensive because i need to push myself to move on and remove those comfy slippers i have been wearing for so long:( ,

n2wizard
04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I have just purchased a vibe 50 and intend to get the bug back ( i must be mad) after watching your guys flying on the vids section they are insine :thumbup: how the hell do i brake through onto the next level from where i am and what should i be aiming for, i have a trex 500 for my hack and yes i know this year is going to be expensive because i need to push myself to move on and remove those comfy slippers i have been wearing for so long:( ,

Boy, do I know how you feel. My situation may be a bit different. I am 82, been flying heli's for about 5 years, and may have come to my limitations due to age. I think the thing to do is push as much as you can within , and recognize, your own personal limitations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7vnlh9fQ1Y

Herman

Brett74
04-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Is anyone else here older than Herman, that would be quite a title , "The Oldest Helifreak",
although I am sure some of the more verbose of us can come up with a more respectful title.
Way to go Herman !! You rock more than the rocks you are as old as .

mak24seven
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Boy, do I know how you feel. My situation may be a bit different. I am 82, been flying heli's for about 5 years, and may have come to my limitations due to age. I think the thing to do is push as much as you can within , and recognize, your own personal limitations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7vnlh9fQ1Y

Herman

Wow, fair play to you bud, thank god you didnt whip into a piro flip at the start of the vid :YeaBaby: , You have exactly 40 years on me so maybe there is hope lol, i enjoy the tweaking more than the flying now days and i think that is because it gives me a reason not to fly. I hope i am wrong but have a little enology thats relates to the rubicscube, you can either do it or you cant :confused: , i could allways get 4 cubes short of the full puzzle so maybe thats where i am with heli's :(, Any way, my new vibe with its 55 is stunning and if the wind and rain ever drop this side of the pond i will get a chance to rekindle the hobby. By the way, awsome flying my friend :cheers.

n2wizard
04-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words, I keep trying;)

Herman

gothicbunny
04-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe rather than looking into harder tricks you should try out some FPV and flying obstacle courses?

mak24seven
04-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Maybe rather than looking into harder tricks you should try out some FPV and flying obstacle courses?
I think you may be right, put the tricks on the back burner and learn some reall control in all directions. Any way, i'm looking forward to this year come what may :)

kovar
04-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Herman you are my idol... Way to go sir!!!!!

Navigator53
04-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Awesome flying Herman, if I'm ever out that way, maybe you could buddy box me? :noteworthy

Wish my Grandfather were still around today, he'd be right out there with me working on his next move even thou he was in his 90's.

His advice to me "Stay booked just like George Burns, always have more to do when you get up in the morning than you can possibly get done"

He didn't make a 100, but he lived every day :thumbup:

Keep the videos coming and great to see you in them!

And Mak24seven, everyone on this forum is a newbie no matter what level we're at as we try the "next thing".

Now my new goal is to keep up with Herman!

Mel

TucsonTom
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
was getting a bit discouraged in my attempts at just getting my bird off the ground. HERMAN YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME!! :noteworthy:noteworthy LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!! (oops wrong forum? ) LOL

Penguin
04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Herman is my new hero, along with Bruce Jenner. Herman is the man. :thumbup:

Larry227
04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Nice work Herman. That's smoother flying than I can do.

JasonJ
04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
For the OP, frustration only happens when you have expectations for yourself based on comparison to others. If you can let that go, you'll be much happier. Maybe one day you'll be laying it down Tareq style, maybe not. If you are having fun, that is all that matters. If the only way you can have fun is to be as good as others, you'll never have fun. This hobby is not supposed to be a chore or a means to an end. It is supposed to be pleasurable along the way.

Tomscave
04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey Herman, great flying! Are you at MCRC field on 69th in that video? I need to join the club and start flying there.

mak24seven
04-03-2010, 03:16 PM
For the OP, frustration only happens when you have expectations for yourself based on comparison to others. If you can let that go, you'll be much happier. Maybe one day you'll be laying it down Tareq style, maybe not. If you are having fun, that is all that matters. If the only way you can have fun is to be as good as others, you'll never have fun. This hobby is not supposed to be a chore or a means to an end. It is supposed to be pleasurable along the way.
Hi Jason, your words of wisdom are true but it has nothing to do with other peoples abilities its just i bore myself with my own, it just seems easy (only if you can) to reach a certain level and from there it does seem a chore, i'm trying to learn piro flips on the sim at the moment so i can translate it to the field and my other 5 tricks lol but i really am struggling, like you say a hobby should be fun and i will get through this mental block because i'm not gonna let it beat me ;). I'm gonna do it for Herman :noteworthy.

JasonJ
04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Jason, your words of wisdom are true but it has nothing to do with other peoples abilities its just i bore myself with my own, it just seems easy (only if you can) to reach a certain level and from there it does seem a chore, i'm trying to learn piro flips on the sim at the moment so i can translate it to the field and my other 5 tricks lol but i really am struggling, like you say a hobby should be fun and i will get through this mental block because i'm not gonna let it beat me ;). I'm gonna do it for Herman :noteworthy.

Yeah, inverted hovering in real life really kicked me butt last year. Despite considerable sim time I just couldn't translate it over. It was bad enough that I stopped trying for the rest of the year and didn't even mess with it again until the beginning of this year. I was able to just flip her on over and hover just fine. Sometimes a break is all that is needed. Piro flips are something that is coming along on the sim, but I am a ways off from trying that in real life. I still have other things I have figured out on the sim to master in real life first.