PDA

View Full Version : 6HV Hangar

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

RMG2
05-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Another bit of info. to help folks who are getting the 6HV. The manual says to setup 7-degees pitch in the tail blades to hold yaw. Using 2190rpm headspeed and KBDD 92mm tail blades, it took only 4-degrees (gauge) tail blade pitch to hold the heli perfectly in rate mode with zero yaw.

Because of the 4-degrees noted above, low gyro gain, along with minor tail "hunting" I'm of the opinon that 92mm tail blades may be too large??? The indicators are there, and the stock tail blades are only 85mm.

I think I am gonna replace the KBDD 92mm with some KBDD 84mm and see if I can reduce some of the mechanical gain.

Cullen Colapietro
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
When you say barely warm, are you touching the bottom of the motor? I flew last weekend w/ MrRPM and his motor was about as hot as mine, so I'm thinking it's a non issue. I'll temp some 6HV's this weekend in Cinci and report back. I also hope to have some pics up after the event (a 2500 dollar lens). I don't have the lens I rented last weekend, so don't know how things will turn out, but I'll do me best!

Any other reports on temps would be real nice of y'all.

RMG2
05-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Cullen, I was just talking about the motor "can" with regard to temperature. Keep in mind it was mid 40s, a stong wind, and off/on showers today for my flights. The conditions were keeping all the electronics very cool.

kevinator9
05-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Wow first proper maiden today.... It was mental.
I had previously hovered in my back yard at 50% throttle but had a bad run of weather for a few weeks now. Finally today a spot of sunshine and I took it out for a spin.
UNBOGABLE
Just some slow circuits and pitch pumps shows what this thing is capable of. Just need to wait for some battes that will fit under the canopy so I can really ring it out. Bit tricky to get orientation without a cano...
Also beautifully rock solid in the hover!

Anyway just wanted to share my experience.

TheBum
05-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Congrats! I had the same feeling of unboggability when I flew my buddy's 6HV. I can hardly wait to get mine and see how much more insane it will be flybarless.

majicjohnson
05-22-2010, 12:53 AM
All I can say is wow flybarless is insane. I have managed to put quite a few fligts on it over the last few days. 11t, 80% and 2300rpm it flips/rolls like no other machine I have had before and is so locked in you ooze confidence. Its blisteringly fast due to been low profile and you can scream past and power climb until it's a little dot, 3 of my mates at the field couldn't see it at one point :rollingthen back in and it flies tight. No video's sorry had a hard time taching it just couldn't stop flying it.

The problem with this machine is you want 2!!!

MJ

Cullen Colapietro
05-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Unboggable for sure! I'm working on aileron tictocs and she never gets tired.

No canopy is tough. I maidened/ first few flights w/o canopy and it was different.

hornet dave
05-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Another bit of info. to help folks who are getting the 6HV. The manual says to setup 7-degees pitch in the tail blades to hold yaw. Using 2190rpm headspeed and KBDD 92mm tail blades, it took only 4-degrees (gauge) tail blade pitch to hold the heli perfectly in rate mode with zero yaw.

Because of the 4-degrees noted above, low gyro gain, along with minor tail "hunting" I'm of the opinon that 92mm tail blades may be too large??? The indicators are there, and the stock tail blades are only 85mm.

I think I am gonna replace the KBDD 92mm with some KBDD 84mm and see if I can reduce some of the mechanical gain.

My experience on the K3D at about 2050 rpm is pretty much what you noticed. Using a spartan gyro, with 92mm carbon rotortech tail blades, the resulting gain was so low that pirouette consistency during fast flight really suffered. I tried a few sets of tail blades and settled upon thunder tiger plastic 85mm tail blades, these allowed a good 10+ pts of gain increase and piro consistency during fast flight dramatically improved.

The diameter of the tail blade grips on the compass helis is larger than raptors and t-rex's, so use of smaller tail blades makes sense.

Cullen Colapietro
05-22-2010, 11:12 AM
KBDD has two sizes of blades for these helis. I'm using the shorter of the two with great results.

RMG2
05-23-2010, 12:09 AM
My experience on the K3D at about 2050 rpm is pretty much what you noticed. Using a spartan gyro, with 92mm carbon rotortech tail blades, the resulting gain was so low that pirouette consistency during fast flight really suffered. I tried a few sets of tail blades and settled upon thunder tiger plastic 85mm tail blades, these allowed a good 10+ pts of gain increase and piro consistency during fast flight dramatically improved.

The diameter of the tail blade grips on the compass helis is larger than raptors and t-rex's, so use of smaller tail blades makes sense.

Got it worked out with the tail. I cut the 92mm KBDDs to 84mm and also changed the ball positions on the servo arm and the tail control lever. Holds solid with no "hunting" now. :thumbup:

After todays flying I have to join the group that says they love their 6HV! Such a sweet and stable flyer with huge power!

flybar-les
05-23-2010, 01:25 AM
that is strange, i fly my 6HV with red devil 95mm tailblades, it flies just great...

Speed stick 3D
05-23-2010, 01:38 AM
I still have the stock ones on that came with the kit.. Over 100 flights.. They fly great!

flybar-les
05-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I still have the stock ones on that came with the kit.. Over 100 flights.. They fly great!

you can actually fly with those things ??

mine are almost like rubber, i did'nt even bother to test them... :dontknow

RMG2
05-23-2010, 02:10 AM
that is strange, i fly my 6HV with red devil 95mm tailblades, it flies just great...

Are you using a Quark? Are you using a Hyperion tail servo? Lot's of variables to consider???

Also, your servo ball position may have been closer than mine was to start with so you may had less mechanical gain to start with???

For my setup I had way to much mechanical gain considering blade length, servo ball postion, and tail control lever ball position.

I am surprised your tail isn't "hunting" at least a tiny bit no matter your components with those 95mm blades considering the stock blades are 85mm and flexible, yet fly great by most accounts???

In the end, it's whatever works for ya. :thumbup:

flybar-les
05-23-2010, 02:12 AM
that is treu, i have a spartan quark + DS650 tailservo and the ball on +-15mm...

RMG2
05-23-2010, 02:13 AM

Hey Devin, since you have so many flights, have you noticed any maintenance issues we need to keep an eye on?

RMG2
05-23-2010, 02:18 AM
that is treu, i have a spartan quark + DS650 tailservo and the ball on +-15mm...

I started at 15mm and now am down to 13mm (like the manual says) to get the gyro gain up and the mechanical gain down. It worked for me as I went from a slightly hunting tail to dead still with no bounce on hard rudder stops. :thumbup:

Different servos have different characteristics so it's not really surprising that setups vary some between owners.

hornet dave
05-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Also consider that different people are looking for different things from their tail. Some are happy with a rock-solid hold, some are only happy if there is no drift. These are somewhat easier goals to accomplish than good pirouette consistency during fast flight. When I was running the larger carbon blades, the tail held fine and there was no drift. But the whippy tail was driving me crazy when I was trying to learn piro loops.

Cullen Colapietro
05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
This should be a video of Dave K. flying his 6HV and treating her right.

Cullen Colapietro
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
How do I embed a video in one of these posts?

Cullen Colapietro
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivum-9bWDpM

Cullen Colapietro
05-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Please enjoy courteous of the compass owners at the Cincinnati Smackdown on 5/22/10

Cullen Colapietro
05-23-2010, 03:14 PM
BTW Great event, great people AND great flying field. Please visit if you find yourself north of Cincy!

Speed stick 3D
05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Everything is going great on my 6HV, The only thing I noticed that I need to replace is the bearing in the pinion support, It is getting noisy and sloppy if I take it out by hand and spin it. But for over 100 flights, nothing to complain about, All the ball links, Belt, and other bearings are as smooth as glass. I am running the Quark with a MKS BLS980 on the tail with the stock tail blades. I have never had a blow out, hunting, or wag

BBRFST
05-23-2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivum-9bWDpM

I guess that video is down but here is another.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/28QD7ml_ovM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/28QD7ml_ovM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>