PDA

View Full Version : 250? or not?

madcaprym
05-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I am seriously thinking of buying a trex 250 super combo, I was wondering how well they fly compared to say a 500? Can you tell thats its align? how stable is it? Im moving up from a cpp2 and cp belt, Im concerned that It will be too small to see, and if its real squirly? I have a ar6100e rx and plenty of lipo compatable packs, I think I would be set once i bought the super combo? right? or am I missing something? My friends say i should go for the 450 or a 500, but i kinda like how cool the little 250 is, in the vids!
What do you guys think? Hit me back with some feedback please! thanks

rotorcrash
05-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm learning on a 250. Its a handful and I think it all boils down to what your looking for. If you have plenty of room you should go with a 450. they are much more stable then a 250 and handle the wind quite a bit better. The 250 is nice if your limited on space. However it is very quick. It can really get moving pretty fast. The 450 should have a higher top speed but the 250 has a lot more crack to it. I like my 250, plus another bonus is that they are pretty tough. A crash with the 450 will cost a lot more then a 250. Not just cause the parts are more expensive but you'll be replacing more parts. The 250 is one tough little cookie. If I were you I would get the SE kit, buy 3 kevlar belts, a bunch of feathering and main shafts and a few gears and go for it. The plastic blades for the 250 are really durable, and so are the carbons. I've had the feathering shaft break and the blades still be good. But the feathering shaft and the one way bearing in the main gear are the weak points. Its a good thing cause there easy to replace. But definitely plan on having 3 main gears 3 feathering shafts 3 main shafts around and some odds and ends and you should be set for a while.

Hope this helped.

makmov
05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I am seriously thinking of buying a trex 250 super combo, I was wondering how well they fly compared to say a 500? Can you tell thats its align? how stable is it? Im moving up from a cpp2 and cp belt, Im concerned that It will be too small to see, and if its real squirly? I have a ar6100e rx and plenty of lipo compatable packs, I think I would be set once i bought the super combo? right? or am I missing something? My friends say i should go for the 450 or a 500, but i kinda like how cool the little 250 is, in the vids!
What do you guys think? Hit me back with some feedback please! thanks

I guess it all depends.

What is your experience level?

A 250 flies very well. However, it doesn't fly like a 500 or even a 450. It is a lot lighter, fast, and tighter on the twisties. It also has a lot more headspeed.

It is very stable I can hover mine for several seconds without inputs before it wonders off, but it is fast, responsive and twitchy. The tail on a little one will feel twice as touchy especially with that GP750 gyro and DS420.

Yes. You can tell it is an Align. It is very well bult, quality componets, the hardware is a little lacking, but any clone hareware pack will fix that. I really haven't had a lot of problem with the little .9mm stock hardware but a lot of people have. I also have some clones and the clone hardware is what Align should have used on their 250 - IMHO.

Yes. I if you fly five miles away you have a hard time seeing it. I fly mine in my front yard okay. Too much farther than that, say across the street, it gets hard to see.

Yes. a Super Combo should have everything but your RX and Batt.

Yes. A 250 is a very cool little heli to fly around, if you can fly one.

Personnally I like my Gaui 200s better but the 250 is not a bad heli at all.

madcaprym
05-07-2010, 06:58 PM
hey guys thanks, that settles is im gonna go for it when i get some cash, my experience level is intermediate, I learned to fly on the Cpp2 and now I can do loops and inverted hovers, they are kinda sloppy, but I mostly just want a nice heli that i can play around with, now that I respect the hobby and can fly around my backyard with no trouble. Thanks cant wait to get it!

grumpy42
05-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Since someone else already brought up Gaui, I will chime in ;)

I just built my gaui 200 v2 and right now it is flying great (I did have some initial problems primarily due to a bad stock motor). I also have a trex 250 se which I have yet to build (so I can't comment on the flying characteristics).

I think that a 200 size helicopter can be tamed so that even a novice can handle. For my gaui, I used a longer flybar, larger paddles and the heavy "stable mode" flybar weight. I find the Gaui to be as comfortable to fly as my 450. I have not flown it in any kind of strong wind, but I have flown it when it was somewhat breezy and it seemed to handle that without a problem.

So, if you are considering the 250 you may want to throw some flybar weights on (not included in the kit but 1/16" wheel collars should work) and add some expo to the cyclic and you should be fine. But if you want to be able to fly in more varied weather conditions (i.e. wind) there is really not substitute for sheer mass.

As an aside I have looked through the trex parts and so far I prefer the quality of the Gaui parts (but trex parts are probably more readily available).

makmov
05-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah, just ask Align where their Titanium parts are :thumbup:

The Gaui, at least mine ended up +80g lighter than my Trex and you can notice the difference. The titanium and 2S batt makes it a pretty light heli and weight is your enemy.

When you are talking a 290 - 370g swing that is significant.

And Gaui has a lot more versitility.

Don't get me wrong. My Trex 250 is a fine flyer and I like it, but if I had to pick one or the other, and I was a beginner I would get a Gaui V1 belt and go from there. And I would use a 2100T gyro instead of Gaui's 210.

rotorcrash
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Lol well since were on that note....
You might want to look into a gaui 255... I've heard some good things about it. If I had the money I would buy one as I really like the smaller heli's. As far as the 250 weighing in at 370g's....If you go to that sticky most are around 330g's.... a 370g 250 is a freaking hauss lol. I did also own a gaui 200v2 but I ended up selling it. They are really made well, excellent quality..there was just something I didn't like about it. Probably the flybar lol...(trex guy :D) But might want to check out the gaui section and ponder that. The 255 is a little bit larger then the 250 so it might be even more stable as it uses larger main blades too. I know the 3d on them are outrageous and the tail is awesome. Thats my only grief with the 250....I think its everyone's grief....Gaui tails are way better imho.

makmov
05-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd like to get a 255 also.

I looked at one up close the other day. It is basically a 200 head on a larger frame and uses a 3S, and it's got about the most bullet proof tail I have ever seen.

Actaully by design the fly bar on the Gaui is a better design, although it's different than just about every one else's.

It's all stock but my Trex comes out to 368g. Even at 330 that still 50g, 15% which is still signifcant.

I know lots of people on both sides Align and Gaui complained about the tails, but with a good gyro, good servo and a good set up, I really have had that much trouble with either one.

I will say I run shafts on my Gaui's and that makes a big difference. Very crisp, responsive and feels much more connected.

grumpy42
05-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah, just ask Align where their Titanium parts are :thumbup:

I love the Gaui, but I don't think any of the parts are actually titanium - just anodized titanium colour.

Also, there are just more machined metal parts in the Gaui. And as for tails assemblies go - One tail to rule them all (http://www.gaui.com.tw/images/news/product_2010_02/07_2203678-H200%20Integrated%20Tail%20Upgrade%20Assembly.htm) :YeaBaby:
My only real complaint about the Gaui is that the stock motor is :BSS

I also looked at the 255 but I am happy with the size of the 200 and considering that my 200 flies like a 450 I don't really see an advantage to going up in size to the 255.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this thread into a Gaui/TRex comparison, but the moral of the story is that if you build a 200 class helicopter with stability in mind, it can be every bit as comfortable to fly as a larger class helicopter. And they're just so damn cute ;)

bmckay
05-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I have both, yes the 250 is a bit more to handle but keep it in sight when you fly and you will be ok. I love throwing it around in the backyard. The 500 I have to take out to a large field when I want to fly. the 250 is just easy to take where ever you want :)

SandMan123
05-08-2010, 01:04 AM
I think the 250 is perfect, it's versatility in flying space makes up for a marginal drop in stability. And it's fast!

exit44rc
05-08-2010, 01:14 AM
I "grew up" on the CPP2 and IMO I really wish that I had just passed that and the Blade 400 up and bought the 250 last fall. It is cheaper to fix than the CPP2 and It can fly in smaller spaces than the 400+ sized helis.

If you can loop the CPP2 and fly inverted with it, you've accomplished much more than I was ever able to do with that heli. You'll be thrilled with the 250.

intro
05-09-2010, 09:10 AM
exit44rc nailed it!
I'd say, if you're getting success with a cpp2, you're gonna LOVE a 250. Less stable? Not by definition. I fly a B400, which is slower (which some call "stable") but not nearly as "locked in". My 250 hovers for about 5-7 seconds without stick input before heading off. THAT is stable. I'd NEVER try that with anything else I own. Other things you should stock up on are: landing gear struts, tail blades, and ball sockets. All are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, and can save you a trip home. The 250 is real tough. I've slammed mine around a LOT. All of my crashes were ten-minute fixes(knock knock) Struts and tail blades mostly.Rear blade strikes are easy to do, and a bit of a pain... So DO modify(extend downward) the tail fin. I used part of a guitar pick. Problem solved.

madcaprym
05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
How do you modify the tail fin? Is it necessary? Thanks

Mikegigabyte
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I will agree with an earlier post, it can be tamed down. I went from the tiny walkeras to this and I have a ton of fun in my yard. I have it set like a fp, hardly any neg pitch. Its a ton of fun, I have the speed turned down and its very safe, I fly over my chickens all the time and they love it too. But a 450 is alot more stable, and fun just a bit to big in my yard, but a blast in alot of wind. I say get one of everything:thumbup:

I think it all depends on your radio programming, even though I didnt know what to do I figured it out. I dont even use all the extended settings just the basic ones, thats all I need. If your unsure just use training gear for a few flights to be safe, once you have the tx programmed good enough then its easy to fly. Im even flying it in more wind now, just added more power at full stick to fight it getting blown down. Now it gives me more times to fly instead of waiting for the wind to stop. I even fly in my garage going sideways back and forth touching the landing gear on the ground sliding, but I have to be careful, no room for mistakes. Havent tried in inside the house though ive seen videos of people doing it.